PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Having to Touch Lymph Node Spots

Cptdebbie
08-05-17, 18:51
Hi All,
I have spots on my body where major lymph nodes are located that I need to touch. For example, I am post-menopausal, and due to a lumpectomy two years ago, I can't take estrogen. The lack of estrogen resulted in vaginal atrophy. My gynecologist suggested I use coconut oil to lube my genital area. I am also overweight, so I prevent some uncomfortable chafing if I rub some of the oil into the crease where my leg meets my pelvic area. (Sorry guys if this is TMI.)

I actually am doing okay overall with my anxiety. I tried all the techniques my psychiatrist and counselor suggested to cope with my health anxiety and actually found that the 12 step program of AA works best for me. (I don't drink. I just work with addicts of all types and decided to give it a shot.)

It has been especially helpful for my health anxiety to remove my triggers. This one won't go away though. I have to touch these spots or be uncomfortable.
I've tried powder. That isn't as stressful, but I worry about all the powder law suits of late.

Any ideas how to touch and not become obsessed? Everything feels like a lump to health anxious me.

WiredIncorrectly
08-05-17, 19:01
Any ideas how to touch and not become obsessed? Everything feels like a lump to health anxious me.

Touching lymph nodes will cause them to become bigger. I had a lymph node fear post Cancer where the nodes in my groin were enlarged. They wasn't enlarged. I felt they was because I'd never noticed them. But the more I checked, and prodded, and measured with ruler ... the bigger they got. At one point the nodes were so enlarged they were visible ... a result of my constant touching and prodding. I even resorted to drawing in around the nodes with a marker to check on them.

Looking back I was terrible lol! I can laugh now.

Stay away from prodding. Seriously. It takes days, weeks, even months in some cases, for lymph nodes to return to normal. Checking them all the time will not help matters.

Leave them alone for a good few weeks. Eventually you train your brain to stop touching them (usually takes a day or so of telling yourself to stop touching).

Give it a shot.

Mav
08-05-17, 19:02
So these lymphnodes are entirely normal lymphnodes?

Well in that case,ask yourself, would you be afraid to touch your foot if it had a benign wart? or would you be afraid to touch your wrist if it was growing a begnign cyst?

Those lymphnodes are normal, benign lymphnodes.

I understand where you are coming from but you must defeat that thought of the lymphnodes being these huge, monstourous things that make you want to crawl and hide, but rather, take them for what they are. A normal part of your body.

Cptdebbie
09-05-17, 17:56
Thank you for your replies. I actually can only feel what I think are tendons, but I don't trust my own assessment. I really like the foot analogy. I'm going to try that. Best to all of you ❤️