PDA

View Full Version : Does scar tissue feel hard?

nhelen79
09-05-17, 02:40
Hi all,
7months ago I had a lumpsectomy and thanks god, it was a benign swollen milk duct opening. The external incision line is almost fade. However, the area under the cut line still feels hard. I remember asking the surgeon 2 months after the surgery and she said it's expected to feel that area below the incision hard for a while because the tissues are healing inside.

Anyway, I was supposed to have a follow up ultrasound 3 months afterward but due to other stuff and change of job,I didn't follow up until now which is 7mo the after the surgery. The Obgyn doctor said it feels hard there because of scar tissue but only imagining can confirm that. The area is about 1 long. I'm now waiting for him to get my medical record from old insurance carrier before he can book me a new ultrasound which will take 2-3 weeks. He doesn't seem concern but he can't give the reassurance. then the anxiety starts flowing again. I'm mad at myself for waiting extra 4 months instead of trying to have a following up right at the 3 months March. The what-if.

Anyone who had surgery before and still have hard lump/area right at the surgery site? And is it expected 7months after?

Thanks a lot

MyNameIsTerry
09-05-17, 06:09
When my dad has a hernia op a couple of years ago he was left with pain when sitting for about 9 months. The surgeon said it was likely due to how the skin had folded inside and it would take a while to completely heal. He said it could take a year to fully heal inside.

Whilst this differs to your situation I wanted to post it to demonstrate how long healing can really take from an op.

My GF has scar tissue in one of her shoulders from an old injury and you can feel it many years after. So, it seems quite plausible.

This really is a question for a doctor so I would go with their advice.

NervUs
09-05-17, 15:46
Hi all,
7months ago I had a lumpsectomy and thanks god, it was a benign swollen milk duct opening. The external incision line is almost fade. However, the area under the cut line still feels hard. I remember asking the surgeon 2 months after the surgery and she said it's expected to feel that area below the incision hard for a while because the tissues are healing inside.

Anyway, I was supposed to have a follow up ultrasound 3 months afterward but due to other stuff and change of job,I didn't follow up until now which is 7mo the after the surgery. The Obgyn doctor said it feels hard there because of scar tissue but only imagining can confirm that. The area is about 1 long. I'm now waiting for him to get my medical record from old insurance carrier before he can book me a new ultrasound which will take 2-3 weeks. He doesn't seem concern but he can't give the reassurance. then the anxiety starts flowing again. I'm mad at myself for waiting extra 4 months instead of trying to have a following up right at the 3 months March. The what-if.

Anyone who had surgery before and still have hard lump/area right at the surgery site? And is it expected 7months after?

Thanks a lot

I had an excisional biopsy in my breast about 5 years ago now. My internal scar was VERY HARD for quite some time. I don't remember how long it took to soften but, now, I can't even feel it.

nhelen79
30-05-17, 19:31
Today is my Ultrasound and Mammogram checkup appointment. The fear is creeping in. I'm praying that nothing will be found except scar tissue

Leslie735
30-05-17, 21:30
How did it go? I had a core biopsy done back in November and I developed a large hematoma from it. Underneath it feels hard and I even have a dimple from it.

Fishmanpa
30-05-17, 21:36
Does scar tissue feel hard?

Absolutely!

Positive thoughts

nhelen79
30-05-17, 23:08
I just got out. Can you guys believe that the previous surgeon didn't take the lump out because it was too small. She felt it by hand so she probably didn't get it. The new ultrasound and mammogram show the exact same thing at same location and size (nothing changes). So I went under for nothing. However the doctor at this image center said I've followed up 1.5 years and nothing change. So she feels safe to book another follow up in a year. After next one if still same size and appearance, I can forget about it.

So now I have to wait for one more year with some hard scar tissues.

worriermama
30-05-17, 23:14
I have had two c-sections. Yes, it can feel very firm!

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-17, 01:14
What a rubbish doctor!

At least you know what it is now and can move on.