PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Sertraline medication and work

lisamt87
11-05-17, 08:32
Hi all, new poster here. I just wanted to get your opinion on my current predicament.

I started a new job back at the beginning of April, and i've been weaning off my medication with the help of my doctor since around that time too. I got a new job because I had to following a relocation to move in with my partner, as I would obviously not choose this time to move jobs usually.

I had been seeing my doctor with a view to coming off meds for a while, and the doctor agreed I was finally at a point where I was well enough to try without them so I started lowering my dosage bit by bit according to a plan. I have been having some horrendous withdrawal affects which I know are normal, but it's affecting me at work at the moment. 2 weeks into my new job I was sent home with a bad headache which turned into a migraine and had 2 days off because of it. I vowed I would not do this again, and went back to work.

I am now 6 weeks in, and the headache is back. Today I am sick and unable to move much because everything hurts. I tried to get up to go to work but my partner insisted I stay home. I feel really guilty about work. They said last time I was off that they aren't funny about sickness absence at this place but I feel they might be seeing as I'm new. I have explained my withdrawal effects to my manager, and she's been understanding but I just don't know how this looks in reality.

I really want to be there today to prove i'm a good worker but I physically can't be. I can't afford to lose my job over this, but they took me on knowing about my withdrawal symptoms from my tablets... I was really honest about it. Please can you give me some advice as to what you'd do in my situation, or if you've ever been in the same situation?

braindead
11-05-17, 12:34
maybe its not withdrawal,?????? it could be your old illness has not gone away, and you still need your meds. i don't advise anyone to stop a med that is working for you. A guy across the road from me was on 150mg Effexor and weened himself off he had a terrible time for months, then he was free of the med about 6 months and crashed. he is back on Effexor and been off work 6 weeks. if your med is working dont mess with it is the rule if its stopped is a different matter. The forum is littered with people who have come of meds only to find they still need them

.Poppy.
11-05-17, 19:02
That's rough. I hope you get to feeling better!

I always feel guilty when I take off time from work, even though my coworkers do it all the time and I'm totally allowed to. I'm taking off tomorrow for a dr's appointment and I feel SUPER guilty about it even though it needs to be done. I know your manager understands - you can't help this; people just get sick sometimes.

braindead
12-05-17, 17:42
how many meds are you detoxing, sertraline is cool normally unless large dose:shrug:

poppadr3w
12-05-17, 18:54
Coming off of medication can be horrendous at times. I've come off of two of the medications that are very hard to come off of - Cymbalta and Effexor.

From what I've read from some people, there are three things that come to mind to help combat this: 1.) Exercise, working up a sweat has helped people feel a bit better; 2.) Plenty of water, as hydration is key; and 3.) Fish Oil, which is good for overall health anyway. I have a blog post on my blog The Anxiety Press (www.anxietypress.com) that talks about Fish Oil. Give it a look at.

Just make sure that this is, in fact, side effects of coming off of the medication and not truly the anxiety in itself. I remember last year I felt pretty good and decided to come off of the medications. I waited for the side effects to dissipate, and they did. But about a month or two after my anxiety was back in full force. Some people just need medication, and there's no shame in that.

Best of luck.

worriedsoul
12-05-17, 19:22
Sounds like terrible timing for the doctor to recommend coming back off them.

My doctor always discouraged me when I had life changes e.g. New job or moving home.

I would considering going back on the meds - this is not a good time to be playing with brain chemistry!

braindead
13-05-17, 11:47
Coming off of medication can be horrendous at times. I've come off of two of the medications that are very hard to come off of - Cymbalta and Effexor.

From what I've read from some people, there are three things that come to mind to help combat this: 1.) Exercise, working up a sweat has helped people feel a bit better; 2.) Plenty of water, as hydration is key; and 3.) Fish Oil, which is good for overall health anyway. I have a blog post on my blog The Anxiety Press (www.anxietypress.com) that talks about Fish Oil. Give it a look at.

Just make sure that this is, in fact, side effects of coming off of the medication and not truly the anxiety in itself. I remember last year I felt pretty good and decided to come off of the medications. I waited for the side effects to dissipate, and they did. But about a month or two after my anxiety was back in full force. Some people just need medication, and there's no shame in that.

Best of luck.

you say you was feeling pretty good yet you came off your meds????? the hole idea is to feel pretty good so why come of meds and go through horrendous withdrawal when you can cruise along using your meds. I have read many post about people that come off meds because they feel better, a guy across from me has been in bed 7 weeks because he decided to come off `150 mg Effexor guess what ????? he is back on them he said he wont make that mistake again. IF IT WORKS LEAVE IT ALONE chances are if you have been on a med a long time and stop, you will need it or another not to long after:scared15::scared15::scared15:

.Poppy.
13-05-17, 13:40
you say you was feeling pretty good yet you came off your meds????? the hole idea is to feel pretty good so why come of meds and go through horrendous withdrawal when you can cruise along using your meds. I have read many post about people that come off meds because they feel better, a guy across from me has been in bed 7 weeks because he decided to come off `150 mg Effexor guess what ????? he is back on them he said he wont make that mistake again. IF IT WORKS LEAVE IT ALONE chances are if you have been on a med a long time and stop, you will need it or another not to long after:scared15::scared15::scared15:

Because some people just don't need medication for life, and there's no way to really know until you try to go off, unfortunately. Some people go on meds to learn coping skills or to manage through a really difficult time and then are just fine afterward without medication.

Also, it's not fun to be dependent on a medication - any medication. Even if only because keeping up with that can be very inconvenient, so if there's an option to see if you can cope post-med, it's very attractive.

braindead
13-05-17, 15:12
Because some people just don't need medication for life, and there's no way to really know until you try to go off, unfortunately. Some people go on meds to learn coping skills or to manage through a really difficult time and then are just fine afterward without medication.

Also, it's not fun to be dependent on a medication - any medication. Even if only because keeping up with that can be very inconvenient, so if there's an option to see if you can cope post-med, it's very attractive.
Some dont need medication full stop , but they jump on the med go round, If you have a long-term illness and who knows how long a long term illness can be, then you need long term meds. who can say when to stop if the illness is still alive and kicking and ready to resurface 6 months down the line, but this time its twice has bad , and your med refuses to work the second time around.and then your lost forever med surfing. You have a valid point , but i have seen people after they crash and burn after ditching the med , Coping skills are learned with therapy and maybe meds, but i will say most who find a med that works and gives the more quality of life ,should think twice about stopping//// there is no inconvenience in taking meds:shades:

jimsmrs
17-05-17, 09:45
Hi Lisamt87..... I know how you feel, it happened to me when I relocated from Liverpool UK to Scotland UK to move in with my partner!!!....You don't say what your dosage was when you started to wean off and your dosage now?

I noticed a few things in your post...... weaning off meds....Relocation....moving in with your partner....a new job...these 4 things happening all at once seem to have affected you without you realising it, you could be suffering from what's known as a 'situational crisis' go back to your GP and explain what's happening.

Hope this helps

Mermaid16
18-05-17, 03:45
How quickly are you tapering? I drop 12.5mg about every two weeks. I fond symptoms start 4 days after the drop and last for about 10 days. I have a few days of feeling pretty good and then I drop again. I started at 100 and am now down to 12.5mg. It has taken a while, but it has been bearable, I have been able to keep working etc.