PDA

View Full Version : In the middle of a meltdown, please help

Worrywart1234
11-05-17, 12:42
So 4 years ago I had a benign tumour removed with one of my adrenal glands. A year or 2 later I was told I had a small tumour on my other adrenal gland.

I have had high blood pressure my whole life and everyone in my family has it, but I have been told that adrenal tumours can cause high blood pressure.

My problem is that I have been checking my blood pressure this week and it is a little bit high and I think the dosage needs to be increased. I am panicking terribly that maybe my blood pressure is high because the tumour is getting bigger.

I haven't been taking my tablet for a month because I've been out of routine with a 5 month old baby that doesn't sleep. My doctor did say 3 months ago that my tumour was stable and didn't need to be checked until next year also - but that I needed to go back to organise counselling.

I am so panicked and scared I can't think straight right now. Please can someone offer some calming words of advice.

Fishmanpa
11-05-17, 12:54
What is the "tablet" you've not taken for a month?

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
11-05-17, 14:07
Congratulations on the new baby. Having a baby has caused a big change in your life. Not sure what medication you are referring too that you should increase the dosage. What "tablet" haven't you been taking? In regards to medication, always consult a physician. I had a blip yesterday morning. I find it helps to chat with other people, stay busy and realize this isn't a life sentence, it's just a blip and will pass. See if you can get in touch with your counselor.

MyNameIsTerry
11-05-17, 14:14
If your doctor thought there was still an issue, they wouldn't put you on the all clear list for a follow up in a year.

And you've not taken what sounds like your blood pressure med which was controlling it.

Therefore couldn't it simply be that your BP is raised because you've stopped taking the med that lowers it?

Congratulations on your new baby! You are bound to be a bit all over the place even without anxiety and I bet all new parents are in worry mode about the future with such a huge new responsibility on them? Perhaps the parents on here can say?

Worrywart1234
11-05-17, 14:27
Yeah, I meant to say blood pressure tablet - I've known for a month I've been doing the wrong thing - I'm supposed to take 1 a day, but have taken probably 5 in the last month.

Thank you for all the replies - it's so nice to know that someone is out there that understands. After I posted before I turned on a guided sleep meditation and slept for a bit - I've woken up, read what you've all said and feel better. It's amazing how when you're in the middle of an attack you can't be rational or positive don't you think?

Fishmanpa
11-05-17, 14:30
Yeah, I meant to say blood pressure tablet - I've known for a month I've been doing the wrong thing - I'm supposed to take 1 a day, but have taken probably 5 in the last month.

I thought that's what you were referring to but I didn't want to assume. You have a rational, logical explanation to the increase in your BP. Your anxiety wants to make you think otherwise. Get back on your meds and things will stabilize.

Positive thoughts

swajj
12-05-17, 08:51
Do you know why years ago so many more people had strokes compared to the number that have them now? Because BP medication wasn't available as it is now. Not taking your BP meds is as bad as a type 1 diabetics not using their medication. I hate taking meds but I never miss taking my daily BP medication. I remember my doctor telling me about a couple of patients of his who were in their 40s and had suffered strokes. One was a teacher and she ended up paralysed down one side of her body and had to give up her teaching career. He said "you don't want to end up like that". Neither do you.