PDA

View Full Version : Travelling abroad

Greyhound Girl
12-05-17, 07:09
Good morning all,

I am in need of a bit of advice. In three weeks time I am flying to Turkey for a ten day holiday. I am so looking forward to it and my partner and I are so excited for the break. :D

However, I am such an anxious flyer. The whole experience I hate. Having to wait at the airport is okay but I need to make sure everything has gone through the way it should. Then we get on the plane and that's when my anxiety is at it's highest. I start to shake and squeeze my partners hand as tight as I can. When we start to move it gets worse. Once we are in the air I am not too bad as long as I can focus on something. Which I have found in the past is normally the wing of the plane. If I focus on it moving up and down as the plane flies I am okay. Any sudden movement or turbulence and that's it I go into panic mode. Landing isn't so bad as I know it will soon be over! But still hate it lol.

Does anyone have any advice or techniques to help me. I am willing to try anything! :)

Thanks X

jwh
12-05-17, 07:35
Hi Greyhound Girl,

I used to be the same as you, especially at takeoff and and sudden movements in the air, I discovered a way to lessen my anxiety, if you think of the plane as a train, and when moving down the runway, it's just the train gathering speed, once in the air, any movement, I put it down to the wheels on the track, because a train does move as it clatters along the track, and we don't get scared with that, I'm off to Florida on Sunday, over eight hours on the plane, and that's what I use to keep my anxiety at bay, that and a couple of drinks, good luck.

John

Polar Bear
12-05-17, 09:56
I agree with John. Thinking of the plane and its movements as a train or a car on a bumpy road I find helpful. On take off I try to shut my eyes and count slowly to myself and that way distract myself from the first few minutes after which I start feeling a bit better.

I'm not great with turbulence either but nowadays try to understand what's happening and how the air is moving. Certainly can't say I'm comfortable but things have got better over the past few years.

One other thing that I did with a counsellor is use visualisation beforehand. We would go through visualising looking out of the plane window and thinking good things (e.g. being able to see the Alps or the approach to somewhere like Venice).

Mike

braindead
12-05-17, 17:37
Good morning all,

I am in need of a bit of advice. In three weeks time I am flying to Turkey for a ten day holiday. I am so looking forward to it and my partner and I are so excited for the break. :D

However, I am such an anxious flyer. The whole experience I hate. Having to wait at the airport is okay but I need to make sure everything has gone through the way it should. Then we get on the plane and that's when my anxiety is at it's highest. I start to shake and squeeze my partners hand as tight as I can. When we start to move it gets worse. Once we are in the air I am not too bad as long as I can focus on something. Which I have found in the past is normally the wing of the plane. If I focus on it moving up and down as the plane flies I am okay. Any sudden movement or turbulence and that's it I go into panic mode. Landing isn't so bad as I know it will soon be over! But still hate it lol.

Does anyone have any advice or techniques to help me. I am willing to try anything! :)

Thanks X

I dont mind the flying bit, its the locked in and cannot get out .i dont fly i would rip the plane to bits to get out. opps i am trigered

meche
12-05-17, 17:48
I have a 10 hour flight to Cuba in September & although I don't mind it when we're up there, I'm not a huge fan during take-off or turbulence. I always make sure I'm engrossed in a good book or if not I sit with my eyes shut, breathe deep & count. It's very calming & really works. Once initial take-off is done I'm happy to look out the window & enjoy the flight. Have a lovely holiday. xx

Greyhound Girl
12-05-17, 19:04
Thank you all for your replies.

I shall try your comments and let you know how I get on! Hope those of you who have holidays booked have a lovely time!!

:) :D

braindead
13-05-17, 11:54
I have a 10 hour flight to Cuba in September & although I don't mind it when we're up there, I'm not a huge fan during take-off or turbulence. I always make sure I'm engrossed in a good book or if not I sit with my eyes shut, breathe deep & count. It's very calming & really works. Once initial take-off is done I'm happy to look out the window & enjoy the flight. Have a lovely holiday. xx

People can ask there GP for 1mg lorazepam to get through the flight take off, that way your already in the clouds.:yesyes:

Greyhound Girl
13-05-17, 14:03
Oh thank you, I didn't know that!

braindead
13-05-17, 14:49
Oh thank you, I didn't know that!

Sure but you must remember to say you terrified, you need 2 //// 1 for the way home .:yesyes: