PDA

View Full Version : Massive Cyber Attack On The NHS

Bigboyuk
12-05-17, 18:58
Just learnt today that 16 + NHS trusts have been hit and Scotland has been affected too. It's believed it was a type of Ransome ware that's demanding money it will give the NHS 2 weeks to pay up or lose very critical data ranging from serious health conditions (That will be lost forever) to appointments and much more. All the It systems are now switched off till it's investigated and fixed. The trouble lies at varing ages of computer systems/networks within the NHS while some are very modern some are way past their sell by date.

Isn't now time to modernise the whole system in light of this very serious attack?? But it wont happen and the systems and network will just be 'patched' up not a ideal solution :eek: Something similar has affected Microsoft Windows devices. Microsoft has been quick to act and launched a
update to correct this ahead of their normal monthly update. Apparently it was affecting Windows Defender built in security (I don't rely on this as I have my own downloaded security arrangements in place) but what was happening if a infected email arrived to the device it would spread Malware all over your computer even though you haven't opened a email truly shocking thought I would get the word out to all Windows users the update will be forced today if not already updated :) Cheers

jamiebythesea
12-05-17, 19:27
Jesus, is there nothing these scum won't attack !!

Hollow
12-05-17, 19:37
Whoever wrote this ransomware virus is making a killing, they must have made millions by now. Someone must have opened the attachment in the email because i don't think by just opening the email you can get infected. Once someone does open the attachment there is no way of stopping it other than pull the plug on the whole thing.

Bigboyuk
12-05-17, 19:58
Whoever wrote this ransomware virus is making a killing, they must have made millions by now. Someone must have opened the attachment in the email because i don't think by just opening the email you can get infected. Once someone does open the attachment there is no way of stopping it other than pull the plug on the whole thing.Hi Actually not true as windows devices when using the Windows Defender built in security system if a infected email is on the device It doesn't have to be opened to start spreading it will spread through out the device with out the recipient knowing till it's too late :eek: Mcrosoft has since sent out a update!I read this via the BBC Red Button service the other night I always check these tech pages regulary And for more in depth news on these tech stories go to: www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology) save it in your favourites :) Agree they are and it's probably under 20 years old who are doing it! Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Jesus, is there nothing these scum won't attack !! Yeah tell me about it mate, its got to the point where I was maybe thinking of buying some things on line but that's deffo no, no as is online banking I am not prepared to take the risk thanks Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

The Number is now around 25 NHS Trusts and some Gp surgeries are affected too Not good. Cheers

Hollow
12-05-17, 20:03
Hi,

This is new information for me because I always thought for these ransomware to be activated someone either has to open a attachment or click on a link but it seems like this is some new advanced version, scary stuff. Thanks for the link, i do try to keep myself updated on this stuff.

Bigboyuk
12-05-17, 20:19
Hi,

This is new information for me because I always thought for these ransomware to be activated someone either has to open a attachment or click on a link but it seems like this is some new advanced version, scary stuff. Thanks for the link, i do try to keep myself updated on this stuff. You are welcome :)Exactly but like with anything tech it evolves so as security systems get better so does the viruses that attack us and vunerable data bases It pays to stay alert in todays world

Catherine S
12-05-17, 20:19
If I didn't know today's the 12th of May, i'd have sworn it's the 1st of April! Scary stuff indeed. But who is the berk who let them in and gave them a cup of tea? :lac:

ISB

MyNameIsTerry
13-05-17, 05:04
Regardless of the systems, they will have something up front dealing with all incoming email so has someone bought it in on a device? Email servers normally sit at the front an stop anything getting through.

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

Police have traced the origin of the attack back to downloads to a single NHS computer. Further investigation found the computer belonged to a Mr Jeremy Hunt MP.

In a press statement, Mr Hunt stated "I have been hearing so much about how nurses in the NHS are struggling for money due to the lack of pay increases due this government's policies that I simply decided to do some of my own research. I had heard how some nurses had decided to 'moonlight' to pay their rising bills and therefore considered 'Nurse Kirsty's Private Services' to an example of such a case.

I was also concerned with disciplinary rates in nursing and saw no issue with looking for evidence of this. At no point did I believe 'Naughty Nurses' could mean anything else.

Furthermore I was at no stage aware that 'Nurse Alexis services a whole ward by herself' was anything other than a honest piece about how nurse shortages on wards are affecting patient care.

Some MP's have come forward in defence of Mr Hunt, including Mr Keith Vaz who stated "it is ridiculous how we are expected to find out about the issues affecting our depts if we are not allowed to investigate them". Mr Vaz previously faced similiar criticism over his 'out of hours investigation' into the male prostitution business and their use of illegal narcotics.

:winks:

Bigboyuk
13-05-17, 10:52
Regardless of the systems, they will have something up front dealing with all incoming email so has someone bought it in on a device? Email servers normally sit at the front an stop anything getting through.

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

Police have traced the origin of the attack back to downloads to a single NHS computer. Further investigation found the computer belonged to a Mr Jeremy Hunt MP.

In a press statement, Mr Hunt stated "I have been hearing so much about how nurses in the NHS are struggling for money due to the lack of pay increases due this government's policies that I simply decided to do some of my own research. I had heard how some nurses had decided to 'moonlight' to pay their rising bills and therefore considered 'Nurse Kirsty's Private Services' to an example of such a case.

I was also concerned with disciplinary rates in nursing and saw no issue with looking for evidence of this. At no point did I believe 'Naughty Nurses' could mean anything else.

Furthermore I was at no stage aware that 'Nurse Alexis services a whole ward by herself' was anything other than a honest piece about how nurse shortages on wards are affecting patient care.

Some MP's have come forward in defence of Mr Hunt, including Mr Keith Vaz who stated "it is ridiculous how we are expected to find out about the issues affecting our depts if we are not allowed to investigate them". Mr Vaz previously faced similiar criticism over his 'out of hours investigation' into the male prostitution business and their use of illegal narcotics.

:winks: Ok I get that, so why didn't the systems pick up on this single computer with the infected email(s) Plus was this the absolute originating source, or could it have been sent from someone/some where else? One or 2 hospitals weren't affected as they had adequate 'Firewalls' which begs the question was there complacency in cyber security at many NHS Trusts? I actually would say yes on this.

Regarding your updated post where was this information found cant see it on the Red Button Service. The other thing the NHS Was warned about that's such a attack could happen but once again, no one took any notice so I have little empathy for the heads of the NHS for not listening :doh: Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
13-05-17, 16:52
I was joking, Dave. Hopefully the health minister hasn't downloaded a virus on the back of visiting adult websites. :winks:

Complacency might be the issue. It sounds more like an email attack because someone bringing it in on a device would mean it has to circulate through the internal network and that would hit them all if it was a national one.

It sounds like a few people haven't been downloading their virus updates. :whistles:

Bigboyuk
13-05-17, 17:09
I was joking, Dave. Hopefully the health minister hasn't downloaded a virus on the back of visiting adult websites. :winks:

Complacency might be the issue. It sounds more like an email attack because someone bringing it in on a device would mean it has to circulate through the internal network and that would hit them all if it was a national one.

It sounds like a few people haven't been downloading their virus updates. :whistles: You nearly had me then Terry I thought Nah surely cant be that ;) Thing is though it's a big organisation the NHS loads of servers all over the uk so to infect a lot of NHS Trusts they would have had been hacked at some central/local hub maybe? The other issue is these NHS computers are connected to the internet and many are used in break times to access things that aren't hospital related.

But this was a deliberate attack You would think the network in the NHS Trust would have picked up this attack before it did any damage it's probably going to take ages to fix not just a question of clearing it off one or two pc's is it! I personally don't think it will be the last attack on the NHS either and could affect a lot more than just their data bases all sorts of medical equipment is very vunerable and could costs lives :eek: And Complacency does play a part in this. very sad times I think.Cheers