PDA

View Full Version : Help with suspected panic attacks grandmother.

Izzycam
12-05-17, 23:27
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed some light on whether, panic attacks/ nervous breakdowns can cause extreme pain in the back, stomach and a burning sensation below.
I myself have had panic attacks, many years ago and had dreadful cramps in my stomach caused by anxiety and panic attacks, but I have been lucky enough to overcome them.
This question is about my 90 year old grandmother, who experiences these bouts roughly 4 times a year ( when under stressful situations).They have done lots of tests and there is nothing there, but sometimes she is writhing in agony.She refuses to take any kind of medication (Valium etc, which I found to be invaluable), and is adamant, there's a physical cause.
Would very much appreciate your advise, as I think it is possible, but she doesn't.
Thank You.

Catherine S
13-05-17, 01:31
Not really sure what you're asking sorry. Your grandmother is in her 90s so I wouldn't expect her to be fit and healthy to be honest. If her doctors have said it's nothing physical, and she only has these sensations 4 times a year when stressed, I'd say she's doing better than most 90 year olds. Stress hormones can cause physical symptoms anywhere in the body so try not to worry too much.

ISB x

Izzycam
13-05-17, 08:58
I think what I'm asking is , can a nervous breakdown or panic attacks cause severe back pain and burning down below. Whether psychosomatic or real.They caused me to have dreadful stomach pains. So I'm wondering whether this is the problem with my grandmother.... If this would be the case, she would maybe need something like Valium instead of constant tests.She has had a series of panic attacks in the past. So I'm wondering is it possible to have this kind of pain, brought on by mental illness.

Iwant2bhealthy
14-05-17, 21:49
Back pain is a very commons stress symptom. For me it is the number one signal from my body that I am not doing well. The burning sensation can be related to disc herniation. This can only be confirmed by looking at an MRI image. Our discs degenerate with age, so I would say that it is very likely that your grandma has some sort of back problems.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk