PDA

View Full Version : Questions about therapy

walkerbull
14-05-17, 03:12
I am going in a few weeks and am wondering about what happens in your first appointment?.

And the methods they use?

Thanks

ScaredLizard
14-05-17, 04:15
First sessions vary from place to place but the main thing they have in common is they talk to you about why you are there. Your issues and your fears. They may work in some breathing exercises too but a lot of the first sessions are usually getting to know you

walkerbull
14-05-17, 07:47
First sessions vary from place to place but the main thing they have in common is they talk to you about why you are there. Your issues and your fears. They may work in some breathing exercises too but a lot of the first sessions are usually getting to know you

So, I just tell them what my thoughts are?

Sorry, a little nervous its in a few weeks.

Gary A
14-05-17, 08:59
I would say it's best just to wait and see. Different therapists have different methods and approaches, and I would think it's not that advisable to go in with a preconceived notion.

Don't fear it, look forward to it. Think of it as the first step in tackling and defeating your anxiety.

axolotl
14-05-17, 10:25
I've got therapy coming up and I'm stoked about it. A chance to talk through this thing with a professional and finally start to get over it.

ScaredLizard
14-05-17, 19:00
So, I just tell them what my thoughts are?

Sorry, a little nervous its in a few weeks.

It will be fine! I like being able to talk to mine. It's nice to have someone just listen to you

ServerError
14-05-17, 20:33
I've got therapy coming up and I'm stoked about it. A chance to talk through this thing with a professional and finally start to get over it.

That's how I felt. I think it helps to go in with a positive attitude. I made sure to be as open as I could and to just allow my therapist to do his work. It being CBT, there was very little taking over past experiences. I was struggling with physical symptoms and feelings of unreality and detachment at the time, so we spent a lot of time talking about that and working out ways I could relax and live with the feelings.

It helps to have a therapist you like, of course. Mine was great.

KristieHollins
15-05-17, 13:20
I'm currently on session 5/12 and so far it's proving to be very helpful.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a miracle cure but it definitely helps challenge my approach and behaviour towards HA.

My first session was very much a Q&A, but it was nice. I was asked about family, early life, career, home life etc.
I didn't feel at all judged and felt like she was really listening and taking my problem seriously - unlike a lot of GP's that I've seen in the past.

Try to go with an open mind :)