PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Lichen Sclerosis

adventurine
14-05-17, 15:10
Hi again :(

For awhile now I noticed that my bum is quite itchy (not at all pleasant and embarrassing but there's no polite way I can think of to put it! Bodies, who'd have them eh?!)

So I've gone to the GP twice over the past year about it and they keep giving me creams that don't work. I finally had a look and noticed that there's a light patch that kind of stands out and that's where the itching is at. I don't scratch, at least while I'm awake anyway (I've become obsessed with washing my hands because, ew, germs), and have started to apply coconut oil which oddly enough works a bit better at alleviating the itching better than the steroid cream I've been given.

After googling my symptoms I came a crossed Lichen Sclerosis. I read the horror stories and I scared myself out of my mind. My lovely boyfriend had to hold me while I cried about it and he said he'd take me to the GP next week as now my anxiety is so great I feel I can't even go to the GP by myself.

It's like my anxiety is crippling me and I've somehow become incapable of being able to do things by myself :(

Has anyone else had these symptoms and if so did it turn out to be LS or something else? I've had this problem for well over a year and it's gone from being annoying to being scary.

MyNameIsTerry
14-05-17, 15:22
Itching can occur for many reasons, and many of them quite treatable. Unless you have ruled out every possible option, how can you determine is it X, Y or Z? So, it could still be one of the various quite daily things GP's see.

Steroid based creams are not always great. My mum suffers from lots of skin issues due to her meds and steroid creams don't alwas work at all or as good as other remedies. Your GP has much more things they can try but creams like this tend to be first.

So, the best thing to do is go back to your GP. He/she has given you medication but it's not working, hence it's quite normal to go back. Your GP would encourage you to return in these circumstances.

adventurine
14-05-17, 15:29
Thank you for your reply.

I know I shouldn't google it, I'm so bad for that. I'll make an appointment when the offices are open for it, they did tell me last time I was in if the creams didn't work they didn't know what it was and I would have to see a dermatologist. I guess that made me nervous too.

I feel so lame. I'm literally scared of my butt :(

I hate being so terrified of my own body all the time, it's really tiring.

MyNameIsTerry
14-05-17, 15:47
Referral to a dermatologist can just be because it's something that needs a stronger treatment. I've known people referred to them and it's just been for this and it was still nothing to worry about.

axolotl
14-05-17, 15:54
Blimey, every day I learn a new medical term on this forum...

Catherine S
14-05-17, 16:05
Yes axo, there are certainly alot of weird and wonderful ailments on the forum these days courtesy of Dr. Google :huh:

ISB ☺

adventurine
14-05-17, 16:14
I know, half the time the GP doesn't even know when I'm on about. There's been a few times when they've had to google what I think I have.

I'm in therapy and hoping it helps but I just can't stop being scared of my own body when it does something out of the norm.

Fishmanpa
14-05-17, 16:34
I'm in therapy...

Does your therapist know of your reassurance seeking on the forum? If not, it's imperative you discuss it as it's vital to your recovery.

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
14-05-17, 16:35
Lol Re your doc! I guess it depends on what the norm is considered to be for each of us. I think people can easily forget that alot of things like aches and pains, lumps and bumps, twitches and itches are experienced by most people, even non-health anxiety sufferers....it's how we react that's the key. Having said that, an ongoing irritation can drive you mad I know, and i'm fortunate enough to be far enough into recovery where it would be an irritation rather than a worry.

I'd say keep trying the non-steroid creams...not tea-tree though, it'll burn your bum off! Try some baby creams like Sudocrem and Bepanthen etc, or maybe Canisten which is anti-fungal.

ISB ☺

MyNameIsTerry
14-05-17, 16:36
I'm not a HAer but I'm symptom focussed in my GAD. So, whilst I know it's just anxiety, the symptoms still cause fear and I hate them, believe me!

On top of what Cath says, I hope your GP has advised you to consider how clothing can irritate things?

And there are bath remedies they can try you on too. Some of these things can be a rip off in shops though, much cheaper on placs like Ebay (patients are often selling what they don't need on there, I get my mum's from there as the NHS won't give her enough per year for her conditions :mad:)

ScaredLizard
14-05-17, 19:04
I have Lichen Sclerosis. It's really not something to be terrified about enough to cause anxiety. Also itching can be even from hormones!

I'd try not taking baths but taking showers only.
Be careful of what you wash your clothing in (Fabric softeners make skin issues worse)

adventurine
15-05-17, 16:59
Thank you for the re-assurance everyone!

Someone's asked if my therapist knows I come on here, she does and it's fine. I'm not in therapy just for Health Anxiety, I've got a lot of mental illness disorders that I'm going for too.

AndiRoux
15-05-17, 20:48
I worried about having LS, then I went on youtubed and heard peoples stories about their issues with LS and realized I do not have what they speak of (and they are the experts since they live with it!) You should do the same, it made my worries go away!