PDA

View Full Version : just want to say hi

rainbow
31-10-04, 10:52
hi

My name is Tracey,
I have suffered from depression on and off for the last 5 years. I had a baby 13 months ago and have been struggling for the past 10 months or so with feelings of anxiety and sadness. I have been really worried about my baby from the start and way too overprotective. My doctor diagnosed me with PND and has prescribed me citalopram which i have been taking for the past 3 days. I have had some side effects and feel like just stopping taking them. The day after the first one i felt sick, off my food, headache that lasted more than 24 hours and an upset stomach. I have IBS so thats probably what made it worse. Hoping to start feeling better soon.

Karen
31-10-04, 11:00
Hi Tracey

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having a hard time at the moment. I have had depression for over 20 years and know how difficult it can be. It must be very hard looking after a baby as well.

It is good you are getting some help from your doctor. Medication can produce side effects for the first couple of weeks. I had nausea and headaches for about 2 weeks when I started but they usually settle, so try to stick with it. Are you taking them on an empty stomach? I found that made the nausea worse so it might help to take them with food.

You'll receive a lot of support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
31-10-04, 11:49
Hi Tracey

Welcome to the site,
There are lots of nice people here who
will give you help and support.

LOVE JILLXXX

May your troubles be less
and your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.

kate
31-10-04, 11:58
Hi Tracey,

Welcome to the site.

I too suffered PND after the birth of my second child.

I didn't seek help for several months as I was too embarassed to admit to my feelings.

My GP put me on anti d's and after several months the depression lifted and I could start to enjoy my baby.

Stick with them, Tracey. It will be well worth it in the long run.

Kate xx

vernon
31-10-04, 11:58
Hi tracy and welcome to the site. Yes everyone gets side effects from antidipresats for the first week or two then they seem to help and make u feel better. I have suffered anxiety and phobias for about 40 years on and off but bet some real good years between. I think maybe a lot of side effects are worry after people read all the nasty effects that can accure on the leaflet but they have to write that to protect themselves. I too have IBS thay worried me too for ages so had a barriun enema, sygmoidoscopy and some other tests to rule out it wasnt anything els, the tests also made me feel better to know what my tummy problems where. any way hope u get lots of help from this site, which I am sure youe will all the best Vernon

vernon
31-10-04, 12:00
P.S. Why not try our chat room one evening? new people are always welcome and nice to see take care Vernon
http://pub4.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/342349380

Rennie1989
31-10-04, 12:32
hiya

mum says that usually mothes get depression after birth. also i feel over protective towards my bro no and then and u doing that to ur baby is normal!

sorry to hear about that horrible side effects, hope ur feeling better

ow and welcome to the site!

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Meg
31-10-04, 12:34
HI Tracey,

PND can be so difficult to deal with so well done for getting some help.

The settling down sideeffects can often feel worse than the original cause but once the medication kicks in it can provide tremendous relief so do stick with it for a while longer .

There are some PND support groups you can join.

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

seh1980
31-10-04, 13:39
hi Tracey,

Welcome to the site!! It's normal to have nasty side-effects after being on meds for only a few days - stick it out as it will be worth it in the end!! I'm sure you will receive loads of support here.

Sarah :D

rainbow
31-10-04, 16:21
thanks everyone for the replies, i'm quite overwhelmed at how quick
you all got back to me. I'm going to my doctor tomorrow to get some advice on the side effects and hopefully i'll be able to perservere with the tablets.

Thanks again.

nomorepanic
31-10-04, 16:37
Hi rainbow

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to hear that you suffer from PND. As for the medication then it may help you to look at this post ...

Citalopram, Cipramil, Escitalopram & Lexapro (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949)

I hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

davebrum
31-10-04, 19:17
hi tracy
welcome to no more panic -if it is any help to you i have been on citalopram (cipramil) for about 3years (60mg) i had some feelings of nausia and headaches when i started taking them but have to say after years of different medications these really suit me and have to say have saved my life as they have given me back a lot of confidence and my panics are far less.
im sure you will come to the right decision of what if any medication you want to take. you have come to a great site every one is really friendly and we will all give you the support and help you need.
we have a laugh in the chat room but also can help there if you are having an off day. most people chat around 9 - 10 pm. hope to see you there.
xx david

BE YOURSELF, ALL THE COLOURS YOU ARE.

jo-jo
31-10-04, 20:12
Hi Tracey

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling to great at the moment but try to stick with the meds as the side effects you're experiencing will almost certainly subside once you've been taking them a couple of weeks. Unfortunately it does take a little time for the therapeutic effect to kick in but in my experience, its worth it.

Hope you're feeling better really soon - welcome to the forum :D

Best wishes, Jo xx