PDA

View Full Version : On holiday and ocd cropped up: need a bit of support

Rubicon
15-05-17, 03:07
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of support, if nothing else, reassurance that I'm not mad!

I used to have bad anxiety and panic attacks; have had the odd bit of ocd along the way too.

I'm currently traveling the USA alone and whilst I've had a really good handle on my anxiety whilst I've been here; I had a bit of a bad time today. I've been staying at a friend's apartment and am going off elsewhere for 2 nights.. So I was in the next city (15 miles) and had this awful thought.. What If I've left the cooker on?

I usually turn it off but it's just because I can't actually picture it in my head that's got me worried. It's the 'fear of causing an accident or harming others' I suppose. So I've hopped on a train to go back and check.. I'm really disappointed in myself but had that little 1% of me that couldn't relax in case I did leave it on and something awful happens.

I'm alone here and trying to not let it spiral.. I'm thinking perhaps any anxiety I had been keeping under wraps whilst here is now bubbling out!

Sorry for long post.. I'm so upset with myself that I've let worry take over :-(

vicky23
16-05-17, 15:06
Hi,
well first of all I think it's a major accomplishment travelling in a foreign land alone so you should be really proud of yourself.
I think it's perfectly natural to worry about something like that, I think everyone has moments like these and I really wouldn't place too much emphasis on it.

I hope the rest of your trip goes really well