PDA

View Full Version : So scared

EJO
15-05-17, 19:25
So I've been suffering from HA since Christmas after a health scare. I've been in and out of ERs and GPs with physical symptoms and they all put it down to anxiety. After a very severe panic attack, I was prescribed Xanax which only mildly helps at most. Today I went in to a GP again complaining that my breathing has been off for a few days again and he said that there's too much air in my abdomen and he referred me for an ultrasound of my abdomen. I'm terrified now thinking that there's something wrong with my organs there and am not looking forward to it at all! Could someone please reply to me with some advice or reassurance please? Can anxiety make you bloated? I'm so scar d. Ow cause I'm abroad on an internship and am away from my family until July. I'm only a 20 year old student and feel that I can't cope with all of this :(

AppleCinnamon
15-05-17, 19:58
Yes, anxiety can certainly cause your symptoms; I have them. I am no doctor, but it seems your GP probably asked for an ultrasound just to reassure you that it is nothing serious. How much xanax are you taking? Where are you studying?

EJO
15-05-17, 20:40
Do you think? Cause I went in two months ago to the ER with a panic attack and my stomach was blowing up like a ballon and they took my blood and did all tests and sent me home again. I'm studying commerce and have been in france since January. It's difficult as well cause I don't speak French fluently either. I was doing research and now believe that I have ascites which looks like a horrible disease:(

AppleCinnamon
15-05-17, 21:13
Bloating and burping is a symptom I will always have when feeling anxious/panicky, I think I swallow air without noticing due to stress. As you seem very concerned about this symptom and have health anxiety, I would advise you to go have the ultrasound as the GP suggested as it might help reassure you although it will increase your anxiety in the short term. All the best.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Also, you might consider contacting a student psychologist if there are any at your university

EJO
15-05-17, 21:30
Yeah I'm currently seeing a counsellor. In the last 5 months I've been in the ER about 4 times and to my GP around 5 times. I've done nearly every test possible (chest x-ray, blood tests, blood pressure, EKG) and they all come back clear yet my symptoms persist and I'm just going around in a circle again. Never experienced anxiety before now and it is the most challenging thing I have ever experienced in my life :( feel so powerless and afraid of doing stuff now