PDA

View Full Version : Asthma, panic attack or both?

meant2live
16-05-17, 00:02
I've had a bad cough since around February or March. Initially, I had some type of respiratory infection which eventually went away, but the cough started up and has mostly stuck around since then.

I went to the hospital in March when I noticed a wheezing in my throat. The wheezing still comes and goes.

Now I deal with shortness of breath, coughing (much worse at night), and irritation in my throat, and the wheezing.

The sound of the wheezing makes me very anxious. My doctor said that the wheezing can't be an anxiety symptom, but I know that the other symptoms can be.

Do you think this is all asthma?

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

I forgot to add that I have been to an allergist for breathing tests. I have a rescue inhaler and am on singulair, but the wheezing sticks around.

The allergist didn't say if I had asthma or not. My breathing was slightly improved with the nebulizer.

Ksilver2
02-06-17, 00:25
So when you take a bit of your rescue inhaler you do feel better? If that's true it's likely asthma. It can also be HEARD especially if you do get frequent heartburn. I have bad heartburn and I have asthma and sometimes the rescue inhaler doesn't work very well especially if I'm in a panic attack, sometimes it makes it worse. Is it worse when laying down or do you wake up from it?

meant2live
02-06-17, 00:40
It's difficult for me to tell if the rescue inhaler makes it better. Sometimes, I think that it just makes me feel more calm and the tight throat that I feel is anxiety.

I have an endoscopy tomorrow morning to see about the acid reflux. I'm nervous about that, even though I'll be sedated. I hate IV stuff and not being able to control myself when it comes to being sedated.

I've woken up from it before, but it also can just be bad when laying down. We now have our bed at an incline, so I'm giving that time to see if there's an improvement.

Unfortunately, I am now getting a cold, so that kind of complicates things.

MyNameIsTerry
02-06-17, 05:17
So when you take a bit of your rescue inhaler you do feel better? If that's true it's likely asthma. It can also be HEARD especially if you do get frequent heartburn. I have bad heartburn and I have asthma and sometimes the rescue inhaler doesn't work very well especially if I'm in a panic attack, sometimes it makes it worse. Is it worse when laying down or do you wake up from it?

I know what you mean about how they can make anxiety worse. .Some inhalers give you the jitters for a short period, something they are known for, and that really didn't help my anxiety at it's worst. I stopped using them for a time because I built a fear around this.

OP - what does your doctor think about asthma? If it is this it's important they confirm a diagnosis to get regular meds on your records.

meant2live
02-06-17, 21:23
That's the thing, he's never said that it's asthma. He has said that it's a complicated case.

I was on Breo, but that seemed to be causing a reaction, so now I just have my rescue inhaler. I haven't used the rescue inhaler since last week, but I'm now nervous because I've picked up yet another cold bug.

A cold is what started all of this. I had a cold, then it was bronchitis, then I was put on inhalers.