PDA

View Full Version : needing some form of advise empty inside

steveng1989
16-05-17, 22:04
hi there iam new to this web page but have suffered from severe anxiety since i was very little, iam 27 years of age and was diagnosed with ocd 7 years ago and have had it manifest its self on many different ways, iam currently on new medication for my ocd but nothing seems to be getting anywhere i wake up every day in a panic and my brain seems to be searching for something to latch my anxiety on to but i fight that as if it does then iam totally screwed but @ the same time my brain feels empty no desire to do anything no drive in me at all.
everyday is just spent trying to calm my self down and shut out any thoughts i deem fearful or unacceptable scared out of my whits here just cant seem to see anyway threw it this time maybe iam doomed to live a life of fear and without peace of mind:unsure:

Catherine S
16-05-17, 22:14
Bless you, when you said you've had anxiety issues since you were very little my heart went out to you. ..even though you're not little anymore. Alot of children have OCD tendencies...only walking on the paving stones with cracks in them etc, and one of my daughters who is in her 30s now, had a 'ritual' when I dropped her off at her nursery class, where I had to turn and wave at certain points on my way out of the playground, and if I missed one wave she'd be really upset

But I have to say that apart from what I've read on the forum I don't know much about adult OCD sorry, but there are other members who have personal experience of it. I just wanted to welcome you and say that I hope you find the forum helpful :)

Best wishes
ISB x

steveng1989
16-05-17, 23:14
thx for you're reply and yea i can relate to you're daughter as a child as i to had certain things i felt i had to do as a child,I was diagnosed with triclomania @ age 9 or the compulsion to pull my hair out boy did that cause some problems with bullying @ that age but now realise it was just another compulsion that my ocd latched onto @ the moment though i just cant seem to figure things out my minds like a puzzle i cant solve which just feeds the anxiety again thx for you're kind words

hope youre daughter is fairing well :)

Bigboyuk
17-05-17, 10:48
Hiya Wow I did the same thing years ago, was being bullied, had no one to turn to and took it out on my self by doing exactly the same as you I used to rip my hair out :eek: I now see that it was actually self harming my self. So know how you are feeling. Thanks for sharing this Steven :) Cheers

SLA
17-05-17, 12:38
Trying to "shut out" thoughts or resist them is the main cause of a lot of OCD/Anxiety related problems.

This "internal war" can quickly lead to depression.

Thoughts do not have any power over you, nor do they have any weight.

Once you stop fighting them, they will subside.

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-17, 14:02
Trying to "shut out" thoughts or resist them is the main cause of a lot of OCD/Anxiety related problems.

This "internal war" can quickly lead to depression.

Thoughts do not have any power over you, nor do they have any weight.

Once you stop fighting them, they will subside.

I agree. And there are studies showing that trying to push thoughts away can make it harder. It makes sense since it's given them importance and making the brain work harder in dealing with them.

One example is the polar bear test. Try not to think of one. Voila, you think of them.

It seems obvious when you consider how something irrelevant to you rarely appears in your mind.

Fighting symptoms makes them worse too. Again, it's obvious when you think about it. Any fighting needs to be healthy positive/neutral thinking to challenge/accept because negatives just feed a system that Is built to expect negatives.

One of my favourites in anxiety circles is the story of the two wolves, from native Indians.

"Which is the strongest? "
"The one you feed"

steveng1989
17-05-17, 14:22
many thanks too both replies there i get and understand completely what you're saying just hard atm to get my brain to comply with what i want it to do and not let it run away with itself, ill get there though that i have no doubt being here to many times and pulled threw not to, again thx and atm iam reading threw both of you're links and blogs to try help me out the other end.

many thx and hope both of you are well :)

SLA
17-05-17, 15:31
Trying to get your brain to work how you want it is like trying to teach a dog to be a cat.

Much easier to just accept your dog and all of its quirks and learn to live with it.

Even if it occasionally chews your shoes and shits on the carpet.

Bigboyuk
17-05-17, 15:57
Trying to get your brain to work how you want it is like trying to teach a dog to be a cat.

Much easier to just accept your dog and all of its quirks and learn to live with it.

Even if it occasionally chews your shoes and shits on the carpet.
Ha ha I actually like that :) But many quirks that a dog has can be successfully trained out too ;) Cheers

Hollow
17-05-17, 16:01
Think of your brain as if it's the sky and thoughts are like clouds passing through , some light and some dark you just observing them & letting them pass. I read this in a book about mindfulness meditation.

MyNameIsTerry
17-05-17, 16:48
Your subconscious learns through observation. It will only work they way it was created to but you can influence it within it's own parameters.

What you can change is your conscious mind. How you react is very important.

steveng1989
21-05-17, 22:49
what should i do if i am stuck in a circle of no thoughts apart from thinking not to think and feel numb/anxious inside because of it ?? i know this is still an form of compulsive thinking but the fear if i do not keep it up something bad gonna enter my mind and then i have total collapse, so scared and empty atm, reading the power of now but as you probably all did if you have read it argue with his points which i know can only further cause anxiety yet find it hard to stop.what he says makes so much sence but my mind wont let be believe and practise his ways of dealing with constant anxiety any advise appreciated even words of comfort might sound needy but i am lost atm :(