PDA

View Full Version : Saddle anaesthesia - freaking out!

denim03
17-05-17, 11:34
I am going to keep this as short as possible and I apologise in advance if it's TMI. I have a chronic fissure and therefore experience a lot of pain during bowel movements. I was given an ointment by my proctologist and started using it 20th of april (Note: the ointment is not numbing, but increases blood circulation where it is applied and therefore promotes quicker healing). When I applied it the first week I felt a great deal of pain when applying it and almost let out a scream, after about a week I couldn't really feel my finger when applying it and the pain was considerably less when having bowel movements. I was surprised because the proctologist said it would take at least 6-8 weeks for it to work even if it did work (I've had a botox treatment that failed). Gradually I couldn't feel the toilet paper when wiping myself after bowel movements and the pain was barely there when I had BM's. The numbness started spreading in the saddle area and now I cannot feel much when wiping myself after peeing. The numbness also progressed to weakness in my right leg and I couldn't really keep my right leg straight because I kept feeling a pull at the back of my thigh and my leg was noticeably weaker when walking. I also have numbness in different parts of my right leg/thigh. The weakness in my leg has improved the past 2 days but not the numbness (I do experience occasional muscle spasms and deep bone pain in different parts of my legs/thighs but they last a few seconds or minutes). The numbness, in fact, seems to keep getting worse.

Of course I googled this and the possible causes were Cauda Equina (which is an emergency), MS, diabetes etc. I had an appointment with my physio therapist yesterday (I go to him for my stiff neck) and I told him about my symptoms and he said it's a serious symptom and he did some reflex tests on me and told me to bend in certain positions and asked if I have urinary retention (which I don't) and he said he doesn't think it's a hernia (Cauda Equina) or an issue from my back but that I should definitely talk to my GP about it. I do have an appointment with my GP tomorrow for other reasons but I'll definitely bring this up. However, I have had a lot of anxiety this past month and was wondering if this could be caused by anxiety? Then again, wouldn't it go away fast if it was caused by anxiety and not build up and get worse in the course of a few weeks? Has anyone ever experienced long-term numbness caused by anxiety? I know that numbness caused by anxiety usually occurs in the legs and hands so the location of my numbness is what is freaking me out, has anyone ever experienced numbness in the saddle area?

Any experience with numbness etc. is greatly appreciated because I am losing my mind over here. I can't eat, sleep or function properly because of the anxiety that this is causing.

denim03
18-05-17, 21:24
Anyone? No one has experienced numbness for a long period or numbness in the saddle area? Please, anything is appreciated at this point. I am freaking out.