PDA

View Full Version : Sharp chest pain

Firefly1
18-05-17, 09:20
So I randomly got a sharp pain in my chest that happened when I breathed in along with feeling slightly nauseous while eating breakfast. My heart rate was also fast, around 95bpm although I had recently got back from cycling and the pain was making me anxious.

All in all it lasted about 15 minutes maybe before I hiccuped which caused my chest to hurt badly for a second and then the pain went away... my heart rate's also back to normal (around 70bpm). I don't know whether to ring up the doctor's or if I'm just being paranoid.

:doh:

poppadr3w
18-05-17, 14:15
I am not a doctor, but I do know that seeing a doctor may be beneficial to put your mind at ease.

Acid Reflux can some times cause chest tension, so maybe you ate something that didn't agree with you or you ate too quickly after working out. When working out your body minimizes bloodflow to the digestive track and reallocates it to where it is needed - the muscles being utilized in your workout. Sometimes eating too soon after a workout has made me feel a bit sick, indigestion and nausea being two major symptoms thereof.

You said you had also gotten back from cycling, so an elevated heartrate for a bit thereafter isn't abnormal. It takes a bit for people's heart rates to slow and return to normal. For cardio it's less than anaerobic activity, but it still takes a bit of time.

As per LiveStrong.com: "After extended exercise, it may take hours for your heart rate to return to normal. In the case of intense aerobic exercise it can take as long as 24 hours to fully recover. Your resting heart rate is a useful measure to tell if your heart rate is returning to normal. Your resting heart rate is your heart rate taken at rest, ideally just after you awake in the morning. [...]"

Edit: If you'd like to read about other exercise-related information as it relates to people with anxiety, view my blog at www.anxietypress.com

Firefly1
18-05-17, 18:37
Thanks for your reply!

Well I started to have trouble breathing as well, I feel as though I'm not getting enough air into my lungs so I rang up my doctors and got an emergency appointment. Apparently my blood pressure and oxygen level all check out but I started to feel super anxious and my heart rate skyrocketed.

So I'm not entirely sure my shortness of breath is just due to anxiety and the doctor said I had a lot of chest tenderness. I did start on a contraceptive pill just over a month ago and I know a side effect of it is anxiety. Honestly I've been terrified i've got a blood clot as I also had leg pain a few weeks ago that's still not completely stopped. The doctor doesn't think I do though.

Honestly everything seems to have gone wrong since I started the pill, it's like I suddenly notice every little thing wrong with me and anxiety keeps me awake at night leaving me exhausted throughout the day. I'm not sure whether to just stop and look for alternatives.