PDA

View Full Version : Sun Spot on toe- worry

nhelen79
18-05-17, 19:10
hi All,
today is layoff day at work, so while my mind is occupied, i also discovered a brown spot on top of my toe. I didn't notice it before and i always wear socks, so the chance to get sun-burn is like minimal. Now my head is racing with worry. Google said brown spot on toe is usually the devilish thing like melanoma :( I have an appointment with the dermatologist next Tues but now my weekend is ruined.

attached are pictures. I understand this is not a medical place to ask for advice. I just need your support for today.

thanks

nicole97
19-05-17, 14:40
If it's new, I would have it looked at. I wouldn't worry too much though (I know, easier said than done). :-)

darkside4k
19-05-17, 14:59
I have a similar spot on my toe that I "discovered" and thought was new. Turned out to just be a freckle or something. Hasn't changed.

nhelen79
22-05-17, 17:07
Tomorrow is my dermatologist appointment, and I'm feeling so anxious. I think the HA rooted from the fear of not being able to be there for my daughter when she grows up. All I wish for my birthday gift is that the dermatologist would just tell Me that I'm silly and it's nothing

Mikiuslorenzo
22-05-17, 20:31
Can't see anything in those pictures that would cause me any concern. They look perfectly normal. I would wager my house that your derm tells you the same.

nhelen79
22-05-17, 20:49
Can't see anything in those pictures that would cause me any concern. They look perfectly normal. I would wager my house that your derm tells you the same.

thank you so much :)

nhelen79
23-05-17, 18:21
Update: I saw the dermatologist today. She looked and said it looks benign and come back if it change. I asked what is it. First she said look like a mole or sun burn (some technical word for pigmentation due to sun burn or something). She couldn't explain but keeps on saying it looks benign.

I left the office not feeling reassured. Not sure if it's my health anxiety thinking or her unexplanation. I will watch for 2 weeks and go to different one if anything change
I don't feel relieved though and I'm not sure why :(

Will skin cancer change in 2 weeks?

Fishmanpa
23-05-17, 18:33
It's benign.

Positive thoughts

nhelen79
23-05-17, 18:48
It's benign.

Positive thoughts

thanks a lot Fishmanpa for making me feel better. I'm trying to analyzing why i feel this way instead of reassurance after seeing her. Maybe the fact that she was unconfident in her diagnosis ?

Fishmanpa
23-05-17, 18:55
Maybe the fact that she was unconfident in her diagnosis ?

Maybe it's your anxiety saying she wasn't confident. She said it was benign several times and did what all doctors do (CYA medicine). I don't know a doctor that doesn't say "Come back if it changes or doesn't get better etc."

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
23-05-17, 19:00
How do you know the doctor not confident in her diagnosis? With anxiety we are always trying to predict things. Maybe she was thinking, it's just spot on his toe, how can I reassure him that its nothing to worry about? What did you expect a doctor to say, OMG look at that terrible spot! Let's take the toe off! Or we can run costly tests to make sure it's not cancer. We have to remember these are professional people that have spent years in training to become a physician. Look at the facts, it's a spot, she said not to worry, if it changes, go back and see her. Don't think with your emotions and don't Google!

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

I agree with Fish, a doctor will always advise to come back. I looked at the photos and I'm surprised you even found a spot that small, looks like a freckle or your shoe could have rubbed your toe.

darkside4k
23-05-17, 19:07
The "sun spot / thing" the doctor was referring to was most likely "Lentigo".

nhelen79
23-05-17, 19:25
hi all,
yep I won't google and will forget it for 2 weeks before i check again. I think what set me up is that my anxiety was saying why did she change from a mole to a sun burn/spot thing? why can't she stick with one. Then i was trying to rationalize like you all said. she has medical experience so if she thinks it's benign , and not worried, why shall I worry? but guess what I still dont' feel 100% confidence.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

looks like a freckle or your shoe could have rubbed your toe.

i did'nt think of this. thanks

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

The "sun spot / thing" the doctor was referring to was most likely "Lentigo".

my mom has a lot of those. doesn't feel like it. somehow if i keep rubbing it, it feel a little bit thicker compared to surrounding skin. Maybe it's all my imagination.

thanks all. Will try my best to forget and recheck a few weeks later. Hope you all have a good Memorial weekend. I will take my daughter to DisneyLand. Will try to enjoy time with her.

Mikiuslorenzo
24-05-17, 14:37
I would still wager my house that they are benign. I have loads that look just like that, they are called freckles. If they weren't I would be six feet under.

The real concern is your anxiety. It's so easy to read into things that aren't there when you are anxious.

You are fine, enjoy your Disneyland trip.