PDA

View Full Version : New obsession

NoahsMom
19-05-17, 05:54
About 4 years ago I had a root canal done and I could not afford to get the crown so I basically just have a hole in my tooth. Anyway, recently it has been bothering me. The gums surrounding my tooth feel sore and hurt when I touch them. I have basically convinced myself my gums are starting to rot because I neglected to getting a crown...... please someone tell me I'm being stupid because right now my anxiety is telling me I will get a severe disease and die if I don't get a crown asap!!!!!

walkerbull
19-05-17, 06:33
Are prices that barmy in America?

NoahsMom
19-05-17, 06:35
Yes and the worst part is I don't have insurance

walkerbull
19-05-17, 06:48
Um, hmmmm]
I think if you have had no problems for the last intervening years then it is very very likely you are okay.

NancyW
19-05-17, 12:08
I'm sorry, I can't say you're ok. You could be infection and that's nothing to fool with. If it gets in your blood, it can kill you.

Go to the dentist.

Catherine S
19-05-17, 12:38
Nancy...it's not necessary to talk like that on a health anxiety forum. Telling people they can die can be a massive trigger for alot of people. You could've just said it could be a nasty infection and left it at that. Im not saying you can't 'tell it like it is' as you often do, but no need to be unkind.

ISB

walkerbull
19-05-17, 12:57
Nancy...it's not necessary to talk like that on a health anxiety forum. Telling people they can die can be a massive trigger for alot of people. You could've just said it could be a nasty infection and left it at that. Im not saying you can't 'tell it like it is' as you often do, but no need to be unkind.

ISB

To be fair in this instance she/he needs to go to a dentist.

Catherine S
19-05-17, 13:51
I think you've missed the point WalkerB. I'm not suggesting the OP doesn't go to a dentist, i'm asking Nancy to be a little more diplomatic on a forum full of people who already think they are dying...it doesn't take much to trigger people here.

As I said, just telling her she MIGHT have an infection and to get it checked out would be enough of a suggestion to make. Telling her the infection could kill her is probably a teensy bit too much information and completely unnecessary imho.

ISB ☺

NoahsMom
19-05-17, 14:29
Thanks Nancy, that was very......"kind" of you to say to me. Was not expecting to read that this morning.....

Anyway ISB, thank you very much for the support. I agree, as a member on this forum it should be common sense to not tell someone "it can kill you". That was a little harsh. But no worries I don't believe it is an infection as my gums are not swollen nor am I in constant pain..... i did set up a dentist appointment although I am broke as hell....

Catherine S
19-05-17, 15:17
I hope you get it cleared up NoahsMom :flowers:

Take care
ISB x

NancyW
19-05-17, 17:58
Thanks Nancy, that was very......"kind" of you to say to me. Was not expecting to read that this morning.....

I was not trying to be un'kind' .. infections scare me and they should scare you too.

You're here in the US with me, you hear the same reports I do about resistant bacteria, superbugs etc.

I just read a week ago that a man died from an infection in a tooth and after reading your post I should feel ok about saying .. ohhh you're ok? Not a chance. You need a professional tell you that you're ok and not a bunch of random internet message board people.

I get that not having insurance sucks.. I get that dentists are stupidly expensive .. ask about a payment plan, ask if they have something like Caresource which is interest free, open a credit card that is interest free for a year .. you are NOT the only person in our country struggling with health insurance and paying out of pocket for medical care.

I do see that you've made an appointment, my wish for you is that it is nothing to worry about, just a little irritation and that there's a simple remedy.

That said .. I Still Believe
GET OFF MY BACK.

Fishmanpa
19-05-17, 18:38
I was not trying to be un'kind' .. infections scare me and they should scare you too.

With respect Nancy.. I understand that's a fear of yours. It's not one of mine nor many others and nor should it be. I've had dental infections as well as others that were resolved with a simple course of antibiotics. Yes, the advice given to see a doctor or dentist is warranted. Saying it could kill you wasn't.

Positive thoughts

NervUs
19-05-17, 19:02
NOahsmom,

I know its spendy, but you did the right thing making an appointment. I hope you get great news!

Even if you get great news, personally, I think its time for the crown. If there's a hole in your tooth, food and other things can get down there, and the crown just removes any need to worry about it. I think they are less than $1000 and maybe your dentist will work with you on payments.

What a crappy thing that we have to deal with money when it comes to something as basic as a crown. Feeling ready to go on a health care rant, but I will refrain!

Keep us posted!

Catherine S
19-05-17, 20:36
Nancy, your attempt to explain your comments has only dug the hole deeper i'm afraid. I wasn't aware I was on your back? I don't think you're a very nice person to be honest. You can be indescribably stupid with some of the comments you make on an anxiety forum.

I haven't liked you very much since you came over from AZ and I'm guessing the feeling is mutual, but i've only ever commented on one or two of your 'very honest' posts out of the many you've posted since you joined, I wouldn't exactly call that being on your back.

ISB

walkerbull
20-05-17, 00:50
NOahsmom,

I know its spendy, but you did the right thing making an appointment. I hope you get great news!

Even if you get great news, personally, I think its time for the crown. If there's a hole in your tooth, food and other things can get down there, and the crown just removes any need to worry about it. I think they are less than $1000 and maybe your dentist will work with you on payments.

What a crappy thing that we have to deal with money when it comes to something as basic as a crown. Feeling ready to go on a health care rant, but I will refrain!

Keep us posted!

I mean, you did elect the most right-wing President in living memory. What do you expect?

NancyW
20-05-17, 01:17
Walkerbull..
I'm not sure which is worse, where we are or where we're headed.

walkerbull
20-05-17, 01:24
Walkerbull..
I'm not sure which is worse, where we are or where we're headed.

When the discussion comes up at school I just pretend America doesn't exist.

NervUs
20-05-17, 02:03
I mean, you did elect the most right-wing President in living memory. What do you expect?

I did not elect that....is there even a word?

NancyW
20-05-17, 02:54
I did not elect that....is there even a word?

Me either.

I'll never forget the shock of it all happening... unbelievable.

walkerbull
20-05-17, 03:21
Me either.

I'll never forget the shock of it all happening... unbelievable.

I will remember that day as the one which I lost interest in American politics all together.