PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Anxiety over Sleep! Help!

Timerus
19-05-17, 07:12
Sleep for me in the past week has been very bad, haven't been able to really sleep, I usually can get myself to sleep from 5am to about 1pm, with the help of melatonin. This i my normal sleeping schedule.

This past week, I haven't been able to fall asleep, and it started out as me being anxious about sleeping, and it being 5am, and not being able to sleep until 7am. The only day I had relatively good sleep was the night of 5/14/17, when I fell asleep at 5am and woke at 2pm. The next day, 5/15/17, I felt sleepy around 12am and had broken sleep from 12am to 3am, then from 3am to 5am, and stayed awaked until 7 because I was panicking because of my broken sleep, and then slept from like 7am to 9am. Edit: 5/17/17: Unsure of how long I slept. 5/18/17: Slept for like 6-7 hours, woke up and felt tired all day still. 5/19/17: tried going to bed around 10pm, kept having hypnogogic jerks and couldn't sleep. popped a melatonin around 2:30am was very frustrated, woke up a few hours later and popped another melatonin, kept waking up every couple hours. Finally decided enough was enough at around noon

Last night, I wasn't able to sleep at all. I think I may have had some micro naps of like 10 minutes here and there but that was it. Even with the help of melatonin, I didn't get sleepy and I kept getting more worried and scared. I keep thinking it could be some prion disease, but I don't want to think of this because it's a scary thought. Just as some background, I have been diagnosed with GAD, Panic Disorder and Depression and have had sleeping problems in the past.

This has me worried because I feel like my "insomnia" is getting worse, I haven't really felt sleepy, because I think the adrenaline is keeping me going through constant panic. I just want to know that I will be ok, and that everything will be ok. How many days have any of you gone with zero sleep and for how long did you have sleeping issues for?

I'm just really scared because it feels like I'm not going to make it. I mean for right now, I can swallow just fine, talk fine, concentrate fine, my vision is slightly disoriented, but I am assuming it is due to the sleeping issues. I do not have double vision, I am not sweating, just a lot of panic going on. I've laid in my bed for hours and hours at night waiting to go to sleep, but I don't get tired with the help of melatonin, and I just don't sleep.

I've heard that prion diseases are rapid, but how rapid are they? I've been testing my memory every day to make sure I can remember things, and I can remember things just fine.

axolotl
19-05-17, 08:09
I'm really not sure how you got to an incredibly rare disease from insomnia?

When I had a bout of insomnia I found hiding every clock you can see from your bed really helps. If you find yourself awake in the dark you have no idea if it's 12.30am or 5am, and you don't stress about it.

Timerus
19-05-17, 08:32
I'm really not sure how you got to an incredibly rare disease from insomnia?

When I had a bout of insomnia I found hiding every clock you can see from your bed really helps. If you find yourself awake in the dark you have no idea if it's 12.30am or 5am, and you don't stress about it.

Well insomnia is a symptom of the disease, right?

I've also been sweating, and haven't felt tired. When I try to sleep, I get really anxious and my heart beats really fast. I do have all my clocks turned around. I don't sleep in the dark though. Long story short, I have a fiancee and we skype all day and night, due to distance, even skype when we sleep. My normal sleeping routine has been falling asleep around 4-5am though and waking up at about 10:30am, been like that for a long time.

Other symptoms have been sweating (When trying to sleep), loss of appetite, loss of weight, anxiety.

Colicab85
19-05-17, 08:50
Insomnia is also one of the most common symptoms of Anxiety too, and you're on an anxiety forum.

Stands to reason that you aren't the 1 in 100+ million that has a prion disease and are the 1 in 5 that has anxiety/depression.

The odds are in your favour.

Timerus
19-05-17, 09:09
Insomnia is also one of the most common symptoms of Anxiety too, and you're on an anxiety forum.

Stands to reason that you aren't the 1 in 100+ million that has a prion disease and are the 1 in 5 that has anxiety/depression.

The odds are in your favour.

Can insomnia cause multiple bouts of sleepless nights?
Can it also make it to where you don't feel tired?

I'm just in a bad state of panic right now because it's all very scary to me.

Colicab85
19-05-17, 09:11
Thats what insomnia is?

Sleepless nights. It absolutely is anxiety caused insomnia and thinking you have a prion is only going to make a LOT worse.

Are you seeking help for your mental health issues?

axolotl
19-05-17, 09:13
Well insomnia is a symptom of the disease, right?

I've also been sweating, and haven't felt tired. When I try to sleep, I get really anxious and my heart beats really fast. I do have all my clocks turned around. I don't sleep in the dark though. Long story short, I have a fiancee and we skype all day and night, due to distance, even skype when we sleep. My normal sleeping routine has been falling asleep around 4-5am though and waking up at about 10:30am, been like that for a long time.

Other symptoms have been sweating (When trying to sleep), loss of appetite, loss of weight, anxiety.

A stat I just found is 300 prion diseases are reported in the US in a year (so less than one in a million people), and many of those a far more likely to affect the elderly.

Meanwhile everything you describe could be covered by hundreds of common, benign things, including stress and anxiety itself, and the less you sleep the worse you feel. It's hugely illogical to the point of being bizarre to even have prion disease on your radar here.

The problem with sleep is once you start stressing about not sleeping you don't sleep. It's a horrible vicious cycle and I've been there.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

Can insomnia cause multiple bouts of sleepless nights?

Insomnia means not being able to sleep, so not sure what your question is here?

Timerus
19-05-17, 09:23
Thats what insomnia is?

Sleepless nights. It absolutely is anxiety caused insomnia and thinking you have a prion is only going to make a LOT worse.

Are you seeking help for your mental health issues?

No. But I used to in the past. I felt that psychologists and counselors were not useful because I felt they didn't really care about my issues, and only cared about getting a paycheck. I never felt the sincerity of caring whenever I went.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

A stat I just found is 300 prion diseases are reported in the US in a year (so less than one in a million people), and many of those a far more likely to affect the elderly.

Meanwhile everything you describe could be covered by hundreds of common, benign things, including stress and anxiety itself, and the less you sleep the worse you feel. It's hugely illogical to the point of being bizarre to even have prion disease on your radar here.

The problem with sleep is once you start stressing about not sleeping you don't sleep. It's a horrible vicious cycle and I've been there.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

Insomnia means not being able to sleep, so not sure what your question is here?

Well I guess my question about insomnia is, I read a lot of people gain weight, but I seem to be losing it. Had sleep issues for about a week now and lost about 3 pounds (from 222 to 219). Can insomnia cause weight loss?

When should I see a doctor about it?

I guess being a hypochondriac is really bad. What makes me worry is reading the signs and symptoms of this prion disease, and the first stage or so it says is increasing insomnia which leads to panic attacks and hallucinations... I google quite a lot...

Colicab85
19-05-17, 09:35
Don't Google.

I also dont buy that when people says "its not that easy to stop googling". It really is. If you find yourself typing "symptoms of...." or "what is causing..." just stop and put your phone down.

Even someone with extreme anxiety can do this. Just stop typing and put it away.

Google is the enemy.

axolotl
19-05-17, 09:36
No. But I used to in the past. I felt that psychologists and counselors were not useful because I felt they didn't really care about my issues, and only cared about getting a paycheck. I never felt the sincerity of caring whenever I went.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Well I guess my question about insomnia is, I read a lot of people gain weight, but I seem to be losing it. Had sleep issues for about a week now and lost about 3 pounds (from 222 to 219). Can insomnia cause weight loss?

When should I see a doctor about it?

I guess being a hypochondriac is really bad. What makes me worry is reading the signs and symptoms of this prion disease, and the first stage or so it says is increasing insomnia which leads to panic attacks and hallucinations... I google quite a lot...

You've said above your appetite is decreased = eating less = weight loss. And three pounds is absolutely nothing! People naturally wobble in weight around two pounds or so day to day (think about it, a big meal, a full bladder, how much water you have in you changes how much you weigh...). This is why dieters who obsessively weigh themselves are doing it wrong, they're after a downward trend of weight, not a continual reduction.

When "weight loss" is listed as a symptom it means dramatic weight loss, not you've lost a couple of pounds!

You are seriously fixating on very vague things. You should indeed see a doctor, but about your poor sleep, and about your anxiety, not because they're likely to diagnose you with a deadly disease.

Timerus
19-05-17, 09:46
Don't Google.

I also dont buy that when people says "its not that easy to stop googling". It really is. If you find yourself typing "symptoms of...." or "what is causing..." just stop and put your phone down.

Even someone with extreme anxiety can do this. Just stop typing and put it away.

Google is the enemy.

It is, I believe it is. It's just as the days go on, the more in a panicked I become.

How long can insomnia last? I guess my fear also is becoming unable to sleep period, like permanently, is this possible?

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

You've said above your appetite is decreased = eating less = weight loss. And three pounds is absolutely nothing! People naturally wobble in weight around two pounds or so day to day (think about it, a big meal, a full bladder, how much water you have in you changes how much you weigh...). This is why dieters who obsessively weigh themselves are doing it wrong, they're after a downward trend of weight, not a continual reduction.

When "weight loss" is listed as a symptom it means dramatic weight loss, not you've lost a couple of pounds!

You are seriously fixating on very vague things. You should indeed see a doctor, but about your poor sleep, and about your anxiety, not because they're likely to diagnose you with a deadly disease.

I've read when you lose 10% of your body weight in a month, then it becomes something to worry about. I guess its why I weigh myself everyday, to see what my weight has become...

axolotl
19-05-17, 10:19
It is, I believe it is. It's just as the days go on, the more in a panicked I become.

How long can insomnia last? I guess my fear also is becoming unable to sleep period, like permanently, is this possible?

---------- Post added at 00:46 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

I've read when you lose 10% of your body weight in a month, then it becomes something to worry about. I guess its why I weigh myself everyday, to see what my weight has become...

But why? If you lost 10% of your bodyweight you'd very obviously notice. It's not a very likely situation, so why waste your life testing for it? As I say, this has led you to come to the conclusion losing 3 pounds is worthy of worry, which is frankly ridiculous. (Incidentally I have very cheap bathroom scales, and can "lose" that or more depending which part of the bathroom floor I put them on...).

The biggest realisation I've had about health anxiety is the constant belief you have to be vigilant for checking about horrible rare diseases is absolutely wrong. That's the pattern you have to break, and you may need professional help to do so.

Lon
19-05-17, 12:01
Don't Google.

Google is the enemy.

It's a compulsive behavior, of course it's difficult for us to do and easy for you to say...

Timerus
19-05-17, 23:23
Well last night was bad, I tried going to bed around 4am and couldn't go to sleep, even with the help of melatonin. My heart was racing super fast and when I was trying to go to sleep, I was having these jerking sensations when I trying to close my eyes and rest, and this went on until about 9am until I think I was able to sleep until about 11:30am and then I really don't know what happened from there.

Now I'm in an immense state of panic.

Andy.S
19-05-17, 23:29
I had (and also currently have) big trouble sleeping because of the anxiety. When i go to sleep i just lay down and im laying there for one hour in "standby" mode with my mind thinking about everything and trying to get into deep sleep, but the deep sleep usually dont comes, or comes when im reaallly tired in middle of the night.

Sometimes i just "wake up" from the standby mode all stressed that im not sleeping and start to panic.

What helped me with this, is to take Magnesium right before sleep. I sleep like a damn baby now. But when i dont take magnesium, again cant sleep.

I recommend to take at least 200mg Magnesium Taurate or Magnesium oxide with B6 vitamin for better absorption. This really worked for me and I cannot stress it enough to take Magnesium if you start to panic or you are anxious, because Magnesium is natural calm remedy and works well for stress that you have from anxiety.

Anxiety (Stress) actually deprives your Magnesium levels, and Magnesium deficency is greatly worsening your Anxiety symptoms. If you have twitches (on eyelid, legs for example) body tremors, then it is greatly possible that you are Magnesium deficient!

Timerus
20-05-17, 03:54
I had (and also currently have) big trouble sleeping because of the anxiety. When i go to sleep i just lay down and im laying there for one hour in "standby" mode with my mind thinking about everything and trying to get into deep sleep, but the deep sleep usually dont comes, or comes when im reaallly tired in middle of the night.

Sometimes i just "wake up" from the standby mode all stressed that im not sleeping and start to panic.

What helped me with this, is to take Magnesium right before sleep. I sleep like a damn baby now. But when i dont take magnesium, again cant sleep.

I recommend to take at least 200mg Magnesium Taurate or Magnesium oxide with B6 vitamin for better absorption. This really worked for me and I cannot stress it enough to take Magnesium if you start to panic or you are anxious, because Magnesium is natural calm remedy and works well for stress that you have from anxiety.

Anxiety (Stress) actually deprives your Magnesium levels, and Magnesium deficency is greatly worsening your Anxiety symptoms. If you have twitches (on eyelid, legs for example) body tremors, then it is greatly possible that you are Magnesium deficient!

It could be, but I don't know, I read your message and saw the thing you sent me, but I don't really have many of those symptoms, just insomnia/lack of sleep, loss of appetite, lots of panic and anxiety

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Even right now I am stressing really bad, I don't know how to keep myself calm.

meant2live
20-05-17, 04:02
Focusing on the exact times that you're falling asleep and waking up doesn't seem to be helping you. Just try to black out the room as much as possible. This would involve turning off all electronic devices. Skyping while you sleep is messing with your melatonin.

Try turning off electronic devices about an hour before you go to sleep tonight and then lay down and do some slow breathing when you lay down. Close your eyes and don't think about the time.

Timerus
20-05-17, 04:05
Focusing on the exact times that you're falling asleep and waking up doesn't seem to be helping you. Just try to black out the room as much as possible. This would involve turning off all electronic devices. Skyping while you sleep is messing with your melatonin.

Try turning off electronic devices about an hour before you go to sleep tonight and then lay down and do some slow breathing when you lay down. Close your eyes and don't think about the time.

Hello, thanks for responding.

I would turn off all electronical things, including my laptop, but for years I'e slept with it on, and for years I have Skyped during the nights with my fiancee. I have really extreme anxiety, so when I don't see her, I get really panicky and it makes things bad...

mdel
20-05-17, 04:16
Are you sure your weight loss isn't related to depression or anxiety or both combined? See when I was about to travel to USA just to have fun(I'm an argentinian young man) I was very worried and veeeeery anxious and I didn't eat enough for weeks. I wasn't even able to swallow food. And that combined to my barely enlarged lymph nodes made me think I had cancer (lymphoma specifically). Every time I combine any unrelated symphtom with my lymph nodes I think the worst of the worst and I stop eating, stop sleeping, stop living life, lose control of myself.

I don't really want to make this about me, but I think you may probably have a stronger HA than mine and you aren't able to get over it like I do when I give up and I end having none disease.

Talking about your sleep problem, I think you should try not to force yourself to sleep. You should go to bed, play videos in your phone, watch TV, play PS4 or anything that can keep you entertained, and hopefully the sleepy feeling will show up itself. That's how I usually sleep every night and it works perfectly.

I hope you get better!

Timerus
20-05-17, 04:25
Are you sure your weight loss isn't related to depression or anxiety or both combined? See when I was about to travel to USA just to have fun(I'm an argentinian young man) I was very worried and veeeeery anxious and I didn't eat enough for weeks. I wasn't even able to swallow food. And that combined to my barely enlarged lymph nodes made me think I had cancer (lymphoma specifically). Every time I combine any unrelated symphtom with my lymph nodes I think the worst of the worst and I stop eating, stop sleeping, stop living life, lose control of myself.

I don't really want to make this about me, but I think you may probably have a stronger HA than mine and you aren't able to get over it like I do when I give up and I end having none disease.

Talking about your sleep problem, I think you should try not to force yourself to sleep. You should go to bed, play videos in your phone, watch TV, play PS4 or anything that can keep you entertained, and hopefully the sleepy feeling will show up itself. That's how I usually sleep every night and it works perfectly.

I hope you get better!

I suspect my weight loss and loss of appetite could be related to my anxiety/depression, but I am not sure. I try to keep my mind occupied, but as the hours approach later and later, I get more worried and more stressed about sleep. Also, what is HA?

mdel
20-05-17, 05:22
Also, what is HA?

HA is Health Anxiety sorry :P

Timerus
20-05-17, 05:40
HA is Health Anxiety sorry :P

it's ok. Any tips to keep calm?

mdel
20-05-17, 06:18
Usually I get anxious or depressed when I feel useless or when I have nothing to do. So I try to involve myself in family or friends activities, and when I'm alone I play computer or PS4. I also watch a lot of Youtube videos, I love music.
You should try to be busy everyday with activities, that will make you forget your negative thoughts and improve your skills of communication with people which is actually important to be happy.
I also use to call myself "stupid" or "dumb" in silence when negative thoughts appear. Because if I had HA about 10000 times and 0 of the 10000 times I had a disease then the only definition is "dumb". But this may be a questionable method for other people since we aren't really dumb, we have a disease and it's health anxiety. Hope I don't hurt anyone.

Good luck! :P

Timerus
20-05-17, 07:55
I've been trying to relax, but I keep having hypnogogic jerks, when I get relaxed and try to sleep... Now I'm pumped full of adrenaline

Timerus
20-05-17, 20:52
broken sleep. From like 3-5am 5-7am 7-9am and so on

meant2live
21-05-17, 03:17
Do you get out to exercise or just to get into the fresh air every so often. I know that, get out into rural areas really wipes my energy out. Being in a city (even a small city) all the time makes me feel wired.

Timerus
21-05-17, 03:25
Do you get out to exercise or just to get into the fresh air every so often. I know that, get out into rural areas really wipes my energy out. Being in a city (even a small city) all the time makes me feel wired.

No, I usually don't exercise. The only thing I do is pace around the house. My anxiety is really bad. Even today. For the past couple of days I haven't been eating as much as I haven't felt hungry, and it's got me really worried.

meant2live
21-05-17, 03:48
I may have missed this in other comments or posts, but are you talking to any professionals about this?

As far as not feeling hungry, there have been times when I've been so stressed that I've forgotten that I haven't eaten. Anxiety really messes with you.

Timerus
21-05-17, 04:53
I may have missed this in other comments or posts, but are you talking to any professionals about this?

As far as not feeling hungry, there have been times when I've been so stressed that I've forgotten that I haven't eaten. Anxiety really messes with you.

Nope, don't have money to be seen... I'm just really scared about tonight... I tried to eat but I didn't feel hungry. All day I've felt tired, but not sleepy, it's been like that the past few days...

meant2live
21-05-17, 05:04
I haven't tried any of these, but try one of them out to see if it helps. I think at least one only let's you have a free trial, but it's better than nothing.

https://www.7cups.com
https://www.iprevail.com/chat_landing
https://therapy-121.com

Timerus
21-05-17, 05:08
I haven't tried any of these, but try one of them out to see if it helps. I think at least one only let's you have a free trial, but it's better than nothing.

https://www.7cups.com
https://www.iprevail.com/chat_landing
https://therapy-121.com

Thank you, also I don't believe I've asked you, but have you been in my situation before, you know with the sleeping issues?

meant2live
21-05-17, 06:21
There have been times when I can't sleep because I'm anxious about something, but I've never had ongoing insomnia issues. My anxiety manifests itself in different ways.

I think you need help to get a handle on your anxiety so you won't think about the process of sleeping so much...you'll just sleep.

Timerus
21-05-17, 07:17
There have been times when I can't sleep because I'm anxious about something, but I've never had ongoing insomnia issues. My anxiety manifests itself in different ways.

I think you need help to get a handle on your anxiety so you won't think about the process of sleeping so much...you'll just sleep.

so what are the odds of getting a rare prion disease?

Also I tried the 7cups website, it was somewhat helpful, but there were no current available help for insomnia issues.

meant2live
21-05-17, 17:52
They are called "rare" for a reason. These things are very difficult to catch, so they do not spread easily. You do not have a rare prion disease. Your anxiety is messing with you.

Try out the other websites and maybe see if there are other sites that can help.

Also, instead of pacing around the house, you need to wear yourself out during the day. Try some indoor exercises: http://www.moneycrashers.com/indoor-at-home-exercises-without-equipment/

Is there anyone nearby that can help you get out of the house as well? I really think getting outside and having a change of scenery would help. Ask someone to go for a walk with you.

axolotl
21-05-17, 20:13
so what are the odds of getting a rare prion disease?

I actually said this in post 7 if you actually read it? While I'm not a doctor or statistician it seems to me, based on number of cases in the US per year something like less than one in 1,000,000, and seemingly far less likely than that if you're not elderly.

And coming to that "diagnosis" from vague symptoms you're suffering is (to put it mildly) a catastrophic leap of logic.

Timerus
21-05-17, 23:11
They are called "rare" for a reason. These things are very difficult to catch, so they do not spread easily. You do not have a rare prion disease. Your anxiety is messing with you.

Try out the other websites and maybe see if there are other sites that can help.

Also, instead of pacing around the house, you need to wear yourself out during the day. Try some indoor exercises: http://www.moneycrashers.com/indoor-at-home-exercises-without-equipment/

Is there anyone nearby that can help you get out of the house as well? I really think getting outside and having a change of scenery would help. Ask someone to go for a walk with you.

I would hope so, as for exercises, I'm going to work on it.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

I actually said this in post 7 if you actually read it? While I'm not a doctor or statistician it seems to me, based on number of cases in the US per year something like less than one in 1,000,000, and seemingly far less likely than that if you're not elderly.

And coming to that "diagnosis" from vague symptoms you're suffering is (to put it mildly) a catastrophic leap of logic.

well that would be cjd, I was speaking about the other prion diseases.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

last night, I tried going to sleep around 1:30am with usue of melatonin, no luck, kept having hypnic jerks, jerks stopped around 6am, woke up around noon.

axolotl
21-05-17, 23:20
I would hope so, as for exercises, I'm going to work on it.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

well that would be cjd, I was speaking about the other prion diseases.

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

last night, I tried going to sleep around 1:30am with usue of melatonin, no luck, kept having hypnic jerks, jerks stopped around 6am, woke up around noon.

I'm pretty sure the page I found covered all prion diseases. But really it doesn't matter if it's 1/100,000, 1/1,000,000 or 1/1,000,000,000... you've still come to a bizarre conclusion of a rare thing for vague symptoms that could have a million benign explanations, and you have to accept this frankly ludicrous prion fear is anxiety whispering poison in your ear.

Timerus
22-05-17, 00:06
I'm pretty sure the page I found covered all prion diseases. But really it doesn't matter if it's 1/100,000, 1/1,000,000 or 1/1,000,000,000... you've still come to a bizarre conclusion of a rare thing for vague symptoms that could have a million benign explanations, and you have to accept this frankly ludicrous prion fear is anxiety whispering poison in your ear.

Well if I had to describe all my symptoms, it would be trouble falling asleep, not feeling tired, loss of appetite, disoriented, anxiety, depression, sweating, hypnic jerks

meant2live
22-05-17, 00:55
Timerus, look at this list and see if any of these symptoms look familiar to you: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

The disease that you are describing is extremely rare. I'm not sure how you settled upon it as your obsession, but everyone on this site has one, so I guess this is your's.

People on here have found it very helpful to completely ignore any symptoms they may be having because thinking about them only makes it worse. If you start to notice a symptom, get up and do something productive like reading or exercising. Get your mind off of it.

Stop doing all research on google. Just stop. You think it helps, but it doesn't. I can tell you that for sure.

You need to talk to a professional about these thoughts because the people commenting on this post can't help you any more than we have. Is there a doctor that you can see? I know you say you don't have money, but is there some sort of government assistance program you can go through?

What you are looking for is reassurance. I've done the same thing many times. You keep asking multiple people if this symtom or that symptom is an indication on whatever disease. Because this is an anxiety site, we are all very familiar with the physical symptoms of anxiety and can see it in your posts. We are trying to help, but you need to do some work on your end.

Contact a professional therapist, exercise, stop focusing on the symptoms, and stop googling.

I truly hope you can find some help and peace from a professional.

Timerus
22-05-17, 03:55
Timerus, look at this list and see if any of these symptoms look familiar to you: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

The disease that you are describing is extremely rare. I'm not sure how you settled upon it as your obsession, but everyone on this site has one, so I guess this is your's.

People on here have found it very helpful to completely ignore any symptoms they may be having because thinking about them only makes it worse. If you start to notice a symptom, get up and do something productive like reading or exercising. Get your mind off of it.

Stop doing all research on google. Just stop. You think it helps, but it doesn't. I can tell you that for sure.

You need to talk to a professional about these thoughts because the people commenting on this post can't help you any more than we have. Is there a doctor that you can see? I know you say you don't have money, but is there some sort of government assistance program you can go through?

What you are looking for is reassurance. I've done the same thing many times. You keep asking multiple people if this symtom or that symptom is an indication on whatever disease. Because this is an anxiety site, we are all very familiar with the physical symptoms of anxiety and can see it in your posts. We are trying to help, but you need to do some work on your end.

Contact a professional therapist, exercise, stop focusing on the symptoms, and stop googling.

I truly hope you can find some help and peace from a professional.

I have an appointment with my GP and a counselor tomorrow, parents are paying for it all, even meds. As far as those symptoms? Yeah, I feel like I have a lot of those. It just makes me worry because every day through every hour, I feel impending doom, and fear of whether or not I will be able to sleep the next night because of my problems.

Colicab85
22-05-17, 10:51
CJD is the most common form of prion disease so Axolotls stats are accurate.

The other forms of prion disease are as rare as rare can get. Like 1 in half a billion rare.

Your fears are fantasy. Try and accept that your symptoms are symptoms of anxiety.

Fishmanpa
22-05-17, 12:28
Having read through this, I just see someone in a really bad case of anxiety "Catch 22". With respect, even considering some kind of prion disease (which sounds like something from an alien world and is practically as rare!) is irrational.

It really is a catch 22. The more you worry about not sleeping the more anxious you'll become about bedtime. Truth is, eventually your body and brain will have had enough and you'll sleep. There's always sleep aids/pills but you have to be careful about some of them (Ambien) as you might wake up in your car with a pot of spaghetti next to you and not remember how you got there! ;)

Positive thoughts

meant2live
22-05-17, 13:14
Timerus, I am so glad that you are getting in to see your GP and a counselor. That's great that your parents are being supportive of you getting some help with this. Just please listen to what the counselor is saying and trust the GP.

Good for you!

Timerus
23-05-17, 00:28
CJD is the most common form of prion disease so Axolotls stats are accurate.

The other forms of prion disease are as rare as rare can get. Like 1 in half a billion rare.

Your fears are fantasy. Try and accept that your symptoms are symptoms of anxiety.

That's what I hope for....

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

Having read through this, I just see someone in a really bad case of anxiety "Catch 22". With respect, even considering some kind of prion disease (which sounds like something from an alien world and is practically as rare!) is irrational.

It really is a catch 22. The more you worry about not sleeping the more anxious you'll become about bedtime. Truth is, eventually your body and brain will have had enough and you'll sleep. There's always sleep aids/pills but you have to be careful about some of them (Ambien) as you might wake up in your car with a pot of spaghetti next to you and not remember how you got there! ;)

Positive thoughts

Again, I really hope so, the catch 22 disease is all I think about all day and non stop...

I went to the GP today and he recommended Ambien too...

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Timerus, I am so glad that you are getting in to see your GP and a counselor. That's great that your parents are being supportive of you getting some help with this. Just please listen to what the counselor is saying and trust the GP.

Good for you!

Well, I saw them today, the counselor really wasn't much help, the GP said that the odds of getting a prion disease where I live is 0%, and he kept talking about how "as long as I don't live in europe, or the midwest" or "live on a farm" or "eat rare meat or brain matter"

I tried to explain to him about SFI and how it's not like CJD, but I don't think he really understood.

meant2live
23-05-17, 00:46
When you say that the counselor wasn't much help, what do you mean?

You can't expect to be cured of anxiety in one session. It's an ongoing process.

Timerus
23-05-17, 00:50
When you say that the counselor wasn't much help, what do you mean?

You can't expect to be cured of anxiety in one session. It's an ongoing process.

first thing I did when I entered the counselors area was cry, a lot. and I shared all that I felt, and they just think it's anxiety. They didn't really talk about my insomnia, except ask how long it's been going.

I feel like they weren't focused on my main concern of me thinking I have these things.

meant2live
23-05-17, 00:57
They are focused on your anxiety and the insomnia is part of that. What did you want them to focus on?

Timerus
23-05-17, 00:59
They are focused on your anxiety and the insomnia is part of that. What did you want them to focus on?

I don't know, I just wanted reassurance that I was going to be ok, and I guess I didn't feel that.

meant2live
23-05-17, 01:12
You are going to be ok, but if you wanted the counselor to tell you that you didn't have some rare disease, you would be disappointed, as that's not their job. Their job is to address your anxiety, which will take time.

The GP told you that you do not have the disease and it's too rare for you to get.

Everything will be fine, but you need to give the counselor time to help.

Timerus
23-05-17, 01:30
You are going to be ok, but if you wanted the counselor to tell you that you didn't have some rare disease, you would be disappointed, as that's not their job. Their job is to address your anxiety, which will take time.

The GP told you that you do not have the disease and it's too rare for you to get.

Everything will be fine, but you need to give the counselor time to help.

I want to believe this very badly... I'm trying real hard to stay positive.

meant2live
23-05-17, 02:21
Please, get your mind off of it. Read an enjoyable book. Watch a light movie. Go for a walk. Ask your parents to go on a trip with you. The more you think about it, the worse the anxiety will get.

Do you have hobbies? Have you started exercising?

You can beat this!

Timerus
23-05-17, 04:02
Please, get your mind off of it. Read an enjoyable book. Watch a light movie. Go for a walk. Ask your parents to go on a trip with you. The more you think about it, the worse the anxiety will get.

Do you have hobbies? Have you started exercising?

You can beat this!

Well, I don't like to read really... A movie? maybe, sounds like something I could do. A walk? I didn't do that today, but I did yesterday. Go on a trip? I've been at the doctors from 11 to close to 4 today.

Hobbies? Yeah, I used to play video games but ever since the problems started, I quit gaming because I got real scared.

Exercizing? Aha... I would, but I've very self conscious about my weight and about losing weight, even though I'm way overweight... But I will do so once I get better. I need to make changes...

meant2live
23-05-17, 17:48
You should try to walk every day. That would be part of your exercising. As far as feeling self conscious, that's why I sent you a link of stuff to do inside. I get self conscious too.

When I mention a trip, I mean somewhere fun. You don't have to leave the country, but you do need to get out of your house/comfort zone.

Timerus
25-05-17, 19:17
You should try to walk every day. That would be part of your exercising. As far as feeling self conscious, that's why I sent you a link of stuff to do inside. I get self conscious too.

When I mention a trip, I mean somewhere fun. You don't have to leave the country, but you do need to get out of your house/comfort zone.

I don't even know anymore, the night before last, I was able to sleep from about 11:30pm to 5:00am, and then take a nap between 8am to 9am.

But last night, no matter how tired and sleepy I was, I tried going to bed around 10pm and didn't sleep at all, I kept having hypnic jerks all throughout the night, and now I feel exhausted and scared.

meant2live
25-05-17, 20:20
Please just keep going to counseling. I really that will help you. Your mind is not letting your body rest because it always puts you on high alert mode.

Timerus
25-05-17, 20:47
Please just keep going to counseling. I really that will help you. Your mind is not letting your body rest because it always puts you on high alert mode.

I would, but it won't be for a while. I just don't get it! I'm really sleepy, but when I try to sleep, I just get jolted awake. It's been happening for a few days now

Timerus
26-05-17, 03:47
anyone?

meant2live
26-05-17, 12:50
This is a thread from 2009 that sounds similar to your problem. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42280

Fishmanpa
26-05-17, 13:12
anyone?

There are 6 pages of responses Timerus :shrug: There are some pretty good replies, advice and support. Perhaps trying to implement some of it will help until you get yourself professional help.

Positive thoughts

Timerus
27-05-17, 02:51
This is a thread from 2009 that sounds similar to your problem. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42280

Thanks for the link, I read up on it. it kind of pertains to what I am dealing with.

I have just been really stressed out every day, and I've already convinced myself that I am going to die. :/ It's day 5 of 10mg prozac and I'm waiting to be better. Trying to maintain positive thoughts.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

There are 6 pages of responses Timerus :shrug: There are some pretty good replies, advice and support. Perhaps trying to implement some of it will help until you get yourself professional help.

Positive thoughts

I can't really get professional help because I can't get to the doctors nor can I pay for it, my parents only paid for just that one time to go to the doctors to get me seen by a counselor and a GP, and to get my meds (Excluding a sleep aid, because he didn't feel the need to prescribe one and wanted to see how an SSRI would do first) he tried to prescribe me zoloft at first, but I told him that I had a bad experience with a zoloft on how it left like a chemical burn in the back of my throat for hours. (it was like this because I have a hard time swallowing pills and usually take liquid forms of medication due to this fear, and I left the zoloft to dissolve in my mouth...)

Speaking of liquid meds, I used to take prozac in liquid form for years, but the pharmacy was out of it, and all they had were the capsule form, and I couldn't return any other day, so I opted to take the capsules. Yeah, it's been had swallowing them these past 5 days, but I manage to do it.

Timerus
28-05-17, 03:19
I'm very confused, I have felt like I lost all my emotions. Like during half the day, I felt panic and sad, but now I feel nothing, not joy, not sad, not anything? What is going on?!

---------- Post added at 19:19 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Last night I went to sleep from around 12:30am-1am to about 3:30am, and woke up in a panic, and couldn't get back to sleep.

Fishmanpa
28-05-17, 14:48
I can't really get professional help because I can't get to the doctors nor can I pay for it

In the US, you can go to mentalhealth.gov and find help locally... Maybe even at no charge. May I ask how old you are? Whenever I see posters referring to their parents, it kind of raises a flag.

Here's the thing Timerus... This is an internet forum. It's all screen names/avatars and words on a screen. Click the little "x" and poof!... it's gone. It's great you can vent and know that there are others that struggle but it's not a replacement for real life help. There's also a pattern I'm seeing in that your continued posting/journaling of your problem is actually feeding it and keeping it alive as opposed to quelling it. Your responses show a very familiar anxiety pattern as well.

Just some observations and food for thought.

Positive thoughts