PDA

View Full Version : can you drink water before a urine test?

purplewitch
19-05-17, 18:53
Went to the doctor today with thinking that my UTI wasnt getting better,I drank water in the waiting room about 20 mins beforehand,as they wanted to test my urine again. And when the test came back they said I still had a UTI,but it looked better than it was since taking antibiotics. Does water affect a urine test? Many thanks :)

Also I'm sure it was a urine dipstick test but I'm not sure.

Question remains,I drank water,will that affect it?Should I believe that my UTI is getting better

Fishmanpa
19-05-17, 19:10
Does water affect a urine test?

I can't see how it would. In fact, I've always downed a couple of glasses before hand so it would make it easier to pee ;)

Positive thoughts

Capercrohnj
19-05-17, 19:25
It wouldn't have an effect.

Gary A
19-05-17, 19:28
Went to the doctor today with thinking that my UTI wasnt getting better,I drank water in the waiting room about 20 mins beforehand,as they wanted to test my urine again. And when the test came back they said I still had a UTI,but it looked better than it was since taking antibiotics. Does water affect a urine test? Many thanks :)

Also I'm sure it was a urine dipstick test but I'm not sure.

Question remains,I drank water,will that affect it?Should I believe that my UTI is getting better

It may dilute the sample, but labs usually measure the amounts of certain proteins in a urine sample to determine the level of dilution. If the sample is diluted, they compare the amount of proteins against whatever else it picks up to determine the actual result of the test.

purplewitch
19-05-17, 20:01
Here are my test results from today if anyone can interpret them:

BLD (Ery/uL): 50
UBG (mg/dL): 8
BIL (mg/dL): 1
PRO (mg/dL): 30
NIT: NEG
KET (mg/dL): NEG
GLU (mg/dL): NEG
pH: 7
SG: 1.015
LEU (Leu/uL): 25

Catherine S
19-05-17, 20:17
Good grief :shrug:

ISB

purplewitch
19-05-17, 20:18
Good grief :shrug:

ISB

:D

countrygirl
19-05-17, 20:33
I can only comment on my urine samples. I have idiopathic haematura ( blood in urine due to big filters on my kidneys) its harmless but as you can imagiine causes all sorts of problems on routine testing.
The more I drink before a test the less occult blood there is in the sample, if I am dehydrated the more there is.
At my surgery they usually ask for a first think in the morning sample for dipping because this is the most concentrated but every surgery and path lab is different and they will always compare with previous tests etc so sounds like you are on the mend.

Gary A
19-05-17, 21:21
Wasn't the doctors interpretation of your results a bit more weighty than the interpretations of strangers on an Internet forum?

purplewitch
19-05-17, 21:30
Wasn't the doctors interpretation of your results a bit more weighty than the interpretations of strangers on an Internet forum?

Well..Of course.
Just a second opinion is all

Gary A
19-05-17, 22:20
Well..Of course.
Just a second opinion is all

You're asking for a second opinion from people who aren't qualified to give it.