PDA

View Full Version : occasional propranolol use?

SamRichy
19-05-17, 20:28
I was prescribed properanolol last year and never really took them cause the thought of changing my bp scared me, my anxiety is kinda better now but im just wonering if properanolol would benefit me if I only took one occasionally when I'm feeling anxious?

Catherine S
19-05-17, 20:45
Hi Sam, yes you can take them like that. Alot of doctors prescribe beta blockers to be taken before a flight or before giving a presentation at work for example, just to calm the adrenaline down. I take them everyvday but taking them now and again is fine.

ISB ☺

Kimberly2025
23-05-17, 00:15
Hi Sam, yes you can take them like that. Alot of doctors prescribe beta blockers to be taken before a flight or before giving a presentation at work for example, just to calm the adrenaline down. I take them everyvday but taking them now and again is fine.

ISB ☺

I went to the hospital for a panic attack and they put me a beta blocker 5mg but don't know which one it's been 6 days and I got these horrible symptoms strong headache, my arms feel swollen, feel like I'm not here physically, extreme dizziness, feel depressed, can someone tell me when will this be over?

panic_down_under
23-05-17, 08:57
I went to the hospital for a panic attack and they put me a beta blocker 5mg but don't know which one it's been 6 days and I got these horrible symptoms strong headache, my arms feel swollen, feel like I'm not here physically, extreme dizziness, feel depressed, can someone tell me when will this be over?

Do you mean you had it only once in the ER, or are you taking a 5mg tablet every day?

If you only had it once then your symptoms are unlikely to be caused by the med as most beta-blockers (BBs) are metabolized and eliminated within 2 days. It is unlikely you were given one of the longer-acting BBs, but even they would be out of your system by now.

Even if you've been taking it daily 5mg is only a tiny dose for most BBs so probably isn't the cause of your problems. The more likely explanation is anxiety. Depersonalization, dizziness and depression are typical of anxiety disorders, and headache can be too although it is less common.

Kimberly2025
23-05-17, 09:14
Do you mean you had it only once in the ER, or are you taking a 5mg tablet every day?

If you only had it once then your symptoms are unlikely to be caused by the med as most beta-blockers (BBs) are metabolized and eliminated within 2 days. It is unlikely you were given one of the longer-acting BBs, but even they would be out of your system by now.

Even if you've been taking it daily 5mg is only a tiny dose for most BBs so probably isn't the cause of your problems. The more likely explanation is anxiety. Depersonalization, dizziness and depression are typical of anxiety disorders, and headache can be too although it is less common.

Yes I only had it once in the ER, it gave horrible side effects

panic_down_under
23-05-17, 12:54
Yes I only had it once in the ER, it gave horrible side effects

I think the side-effects were mainly from anxiety, not the med. You were probably given propranolol as it works fast, and if so, 5mg is a small dose. The usual dose for anxiety is 10-80mg, 2-3 times a day.

Imho, you should be talking to a doctor about the panic attack and what has happened since. It is almost certainly anxiety/panic, but some medical conditions can produce similar symptoms so they need to be ruled out. If nothing else is found then the best treatment options are antidepressants and/or one of the cognitive and/or behavioural, or mindfulness therapies.