PDA

View Full Version : Hi i'm new here

spiral
05-05-07, 12:39
i've had mild panic attacks since i was about 18 but i didn't know what they were until i went to the doctors a couple of years ago because i was feeling dizzy and like i was falling out of my body all the time. I'd recently stopped taking a pop and it was much worse before my periods so i went back on the pop and then had an IUS fitted and was fine (for about 2 years) until a couple of weeks ago. I suppose the panic attacks have come back gradually over the past couple of months.
Doctors keep asking me what triggers my attacks, and what i'm stressed about at the moment etc but i'm starting to believe i feel like this because i have nothing to stress about. The past 18 months has had stressful periods and now it's as if nothing bad is happening i can't focus my anxiety.
Anyway i think i'm starting to ramble so i'll get to the point.
I went to the doctor on thursday and he gave me ciopram (10mg for a week then increase to 20mg) i took one tablet at 6 thursday and one at 6 last night and had the worst panic attack ever last night. i've never felt that close to passing out before. it was so bad and had lasted so long (an hour and a half) i actually walked to a+e where the gave me loads of tests and said it's probably because of the citopram and to go see my GP on monday. I've spoken to my mom and my partner about whether i should take today's and tomorrow's tablets or not and she's not sure that i should and he thinks i should persist. i think i should persist but i'm s*@^ scared of doing so. any support would be grately appreaciated.

Thanks
(ps sorry for any spelling errors i have made or will make i'm mathmatical not good with language)

honeybee3939
05-05-07, 12:59
Hi spiral

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:)

I too take Citalopram, they can take a good 4 to 8 weeks before you start to feel the benefits from them. Also the first week or so you may get heightend anxiety, i find taking them last thing at night just before bed was the best way to take them, that way any side effects should have diminished by morning.

love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

groovygranny
05-05-07, 13:51
Hi spiral, big :welcome:to you!

Everybody's different in their reaction to some meds, but I'll stick my neck out and say give the Citalopram a go.

I had a very rough few weeks with PA's and other symptoms when I first took it but I'm so glad I persevered. I was on 60mg per day which I took in the morning, as my nights were the worst.

I'm not on it anymore and haven't been for 12mnths.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

:hugs:

Jaco45er
05-05-07, 14:01
Hi Spiral Welcome :)

I agree with GG.

Don't worry about the spelling, I am mathmatical too (which is a draw back, I can't count)

Jaco

SANDYJANE
05-05-07, 14:15
Hi and a big warm welcome.

love Sandy xxx

manmoor
05-05-07, 14:48
Hi Spiral,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Ozzy
05-05-07, 15:40
Hello welcome to NMP :)

Scarlett77
05-05-07, 16:41
Hi Spiral,

Welcome to the site. I'd agree with the others and say maybe try and stick with the Citalopram. I started taking it 2 weeks ago, and for the first week had pretty bad side effects (bad panic attacks, heightened paranoia, etc) I was very tempted to stop it myself, i came close, but got some advice of people on here about it and so decided to carry on for a bit. I know side effects are different for everyone but in the last few days virtually all of mine have gone, so hopefully may be the same for you.

Hope you're feel better soon anyway,

Scarlett

trac67
05-05-07, 19:14
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Citalopram can be known to increase anxiety before decreasing it, stick with them though as they really did help me after the initial getting used to them

Take care

Trac xx

tammye72
05-05-07, 22:08
Welcome to this site. I have tried several meds over the years and you really do have to ride out the bad side effects before you'll start feeling better. Good luck to you!

Southern_Belle
05-05-07, 22:32
Hi Spiral,

Welcome to NMP. Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time right now with your meds but like the others say they are difficult at the beginning. You will make many friends here, fine alot of information and support too.

Laura :)

spiral
05-05-07, 22:34
Thank you guys!
I feel alot more positive now. I'm alot worse at night so i had to take one of my emergancy betablockers. Hopefully i'll get some sleep tonight...
:)

Pink Princess
06-05-07, 20:37
hey, welcome to the site. you will geta lot of support and advice here and make good friends too. take kare and hope to talk soon xxxx

nomorepanic
08-05-07, 21:50
Hi Spiral

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Slothette
09-05-07, 01:16
Hi Spiral

Sorry you're having such a bad time at the moment. You've come to the right place and you'll get lots of help and support here.

Take care

Lexxie