PDA

View Full Version : EMG came back clean, but I'm still scared. Why can't I believe people? :(

niknakx
20-05-17, 19:28
Hi guys, I posted on here a weeks or so ago talking about how I was having strange arm weakness and twitching. I saw my neurologist and told him I was worried about ALS/MND and he said "I wouldn't place my money on that bet because you will lose all your money."

I then had my EMG yesterday. I went in, told him all about my symptoms and what I was worried about. He did some strength tests on my hands and arm, they were fine, then checked my reflexes, they we're also fine.

So we did the test and when it was finished he turned to me and said "you do not have MND." I then said "do you promise" and he nodded saying "I am 99.99% sure that it is not that, there was absolutely no nerve damage, the only thing that came up was some possible tenseness in your neck area."

So I went home released, but a day later and the fear is coming back. What if he didn't test it properly, what if something was missed? I feel so stupid doubting what he said but I just can't help it. Is this normal with health anxiety? I'm supposed to start CBT very soon. Hopefully that can help a bit. Am I being ridiculous? I just can't seem to repeat even for a second.

ServerError
20-05-17, 19:56
You are being ridiculous. But health anxiety causes ridiculousness. I was ridiculous when I was struggling. It's ridiculous to worry when you've had the all clear from a highly trained expert neurologist. You don't have MND.

Is it normal to be like this? Well, it's out of the ordinary in general, but amongst anxiety sufferers, it's incredibly common. Your CBT is the next big step. Make sure you give it your all. Don't expect it to be a magic cure, but don't be afraid to believe in it either. Make sure you're open with your therapist.

Fishmanpa
20-05-17, 20:18
Am I being ridiculous?

Without a doubt you are and yes, the doubts despite reassurance is par for the course I'm afraid. Not only that, but it's driven you to post on the ALS forums where it was recommended you seek professional mental health care. Please don't continue to seek reassurance from people actually dealing with the disease. It's highly disrespectful.

I'm glad to hear about the CBT. That's a step in the healing direction. With some work and practice, you'll learn how to keep the dragon in his cave. As was mentioned, make sure you're open with the therapist and tell them about your participation on the forum.

Congrats on a clean bill of physical health. You should be jumping for joy as so many are not as fortunate.

Positive thoughts