PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used alcohol as a tool?

bottleblond
05-05-07, 15:12
For a long time now i have had a few cans of lager at night, just a silly habit i have got myself into and one i am not proud of in the least. I have been beating myself up over this for quite a while now and am wondering if this is the reason my panic attacks have came back again.

I had my first one in years a good few weeks ago now and it was while i was on my way to the shop to get my lager.

I NEVER drink during the day and i really want to stop, but ive heard of people taking fits n stuff if they just stop, so i'm pulled in two directions here. Scared to keep drinking and scared to stop.

Anyone got any advice on this one? PLEASE!!

Lisa
xxx

latic
05-05-07, 15:34
Hey Hun!! Yes I have used alcohol. Still do. I have never taken any meds and am still in the process of trying to beat this thing. How much are you drinking? I began to have p/as and anxiety in 2005 and gradually without me realising my alcohol intake was on the rise.

I had the same fear as you. That if I stopped I would get all of these withdrawal symptoms etc. But, I went to visit GP had my Liver function test done etc and he said I would be fine....... and I was. If you are only dinking a few lagers etc a night, then you should not have any withdrawal symptoms. It will be your thought patterns etc making anxiety worse, not true alcohol withdrawal.

I have a lot of info on the subject if you are worried or need further reassurance pm me.

Take Care

Sarah xx

Jaco45er
05-05-07, 16:24
Hi Chap

If its just a few tins a night, and you are not pouring vodka on your cornflakes in the morning then I wouldn't have thought you would get withdrawal, but you could always see what your GP thinks.

My family on my mothers side is riddled with alcoholics and I am not exactly teetotal sadly. I neither drink during the day or through the week (well a few tins if footy is on).

Oddly enough, I tend not to drink much if I am having bad anxiety. Its when I feel fine I drink, and I can easly get through a bottle of wine and 4 cans on a night, more if I am out. Mind you, half the time I am drinking while I cook like a younger Keith Floyd.

I keep saying I will cut it down but never have yet.

Jaco

Lindalou64
05-05-07, 16:57
HELLO,YES I WAS A BIG DRINKER WHEN I FIRST CAME DOWN WITH THIS PA, I WAS REAL BAD THO AND DRANK BEFORE IT FOR MANY YRS, I WAS USING IT TO HELP WITH MY PA'S AT THE TIME BUT AFTER YRS I WAS GETTIN REAL BAD AND JUST STOPPED, I COULDNT HANDLE THE HANGOVERS ANYMORE BUT IF YA ONLY DRINK A COUPLE LIKE YA SAID I WOULDNT WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT IT, WE ALL USE BOOZE FOR A CRUTCH FOR ONE THING OR ANOTHER MOST NOT ALL....JUST WATCH YA INTAKE, YOU WILL KNOW BELIEVE ME ..BEST TO YA........LINDA XXX

bottleblond
05-05-07, 17:09
Thanks peeps! and LMAO Jaco, i'd never put a spirit near my mouth nevermind on me cornflakes!

So ya all recon it's safe just to call it a day with the cans then?

xxx

johnnicholls
05-05-07, 23:39
Hi

I am new to all this PA as well. I like to have a few drinks and wondered last week if it was making my panic attacks worse. I stayed away from the beer last week, and my attacks disappeared. I then stayed up to watch the election results and had a few drinks, the next day and the day after was hell. Tonight I have had a few lagers and I feel fine now, but I wonder if tomorrow I'm going to get the attacks back? The attacks I get are like pains in the chest and a feeling of doom, like I'm about to die of a heart attack or stroke and god knows what in-between. I'm booking an appointment with the doc for a health check (again) and an appointment with a counciller (1st time) and see if I can beat this.

Cheers

John.
:yesyes:

Jaco45er
06-05-07, 10:08
sorry Lisa, I just realised I called you chap:wacko:

Right Chappette

To get withdrawel, you would need to be a pretty serious drinker. My mother was an alcoholic for years, and she ended up needing treatment. She would spend days in bed and we would find bottles hidden all over the house. It was so bad, they shipped my sister off to America and my dad got a job away he couldn't handle it.

Thats why at 14 I was such a good cook ;)

And this sounds a million miles from where you are blondy. I get a little worried about drinking too much, then I realise I drink as much as the next guy (who said Oliver Reed is the next guy?). I wouldn't even think about how much I drink if it wasn't for anxiety, just like I worry about how much coffee I take, salt, or anything else to stress over.

Hiya John

Hangovers just make your bodythat little more sensitive to anxiety. Hence a lot of people get anxiety the morning after. You sound like you have the same worries as me John, the heart attacks and feeling of doom. I have got better as the years have passed (damn, I sound like 80 now), so have hope mate :)

Jaco

bottleblond
06-05-07, 11:57
Thanks again guys for sharing your stories with me, i really do appreciate it

xxxx

happyone
06-05-07, 20:16
I think that while you may not get withdrawal symptoms, you may feel a 'need' for it if you have been using it as a tool to relax or to get to sleep. try to find something to supplement it such as exercise in the morning is a good way of making sure your body is ready for sleep at night. Also a good relaxation cd can relax you enough to drop off to sleep. I would recommend Glenn harrold 'Complete Relaxation' or 'Meditainment total relaxation'
I have also used alcohol as a tool.
happyone
xx

Phill2
07-05-07, 02:02
Yep used to be a heavy drinker and gave up with no probs.
Alcohol helps masks anxiety usually.
Phill :shades: