PDA

View Full Version : What to do

lettie
21-05-17, 07:47
I really don't know what to do. I have been on citalopram since last November I've gone from 10mg,20mg, 30mg to 40mg. I have not noticed any difference from the 30mg to 40 mg been taking the 40mg for about a month. So altogether I've been on citalopram for seven month's I am feeling better but not a 100%. I've not had many side effects from the tablets only tiredness.

I've had a cough since Christmas. Been to the Doctor's I've had every test possible. The doctor can't find anything wrong. I think it's the tablets but the Doctor for some reason didn't think it was. I can't put up with a cough anymore it's driving me mad. I'm thinking of weaning off the citalopram and maybe trying something else.

panic_down_under
21-05-17, 08:48
I've had a cough since Christmas. Been to the Doctor's I've had every test possible. The doctor can't find anything wrong. I think it's the tablets but the Doctor for some reason didn't think it was. I can't put up with a cough anymore it's driving me mad.

Cough is a listed, though uncommon, citalopram side-effect so it could be the med.

I'm thinking of weaning off the citalopram and maybe trying something else.

There is no need to wean off a SSRI to switch to another and doing so will set recovery back.

You could try switching to escitalopram which is almost the same med as citalopram to see whether the coughing stops as they often produce different side-effects, but it may not be more effective.

Therefore I think switching to sertraline would be a better option. Most people can tolerate an overnight switch, but a short cross-taper may be better psychologically.

sun43
21-05-17, 13:56
that sounds like a good idea about trying sertraline, that is a med which scores quite highly in comparisons between antidepressants regarding effectiveness and tolerability. you may find you are less tired on sertraline also. you could start on 50mg for a week or two and then go upwards if necessary. speak to your doctor

lettie
21-05-17, 17:37
Thank you for your help. I've already been on sertraline I couldn't get off the toilet.

Thank you for this information I didn't know this (no need to wean off SSRI to switch to another SSRI).

I was not looking forward to coming off medication completely.

panic_down_under
21-05-17, 22:39
Thank you for your help. I've already been on sertraline I couldn't get off the toilet.

How long were you on it? It tends to be only a temporary initial side-effect (as does constipation for some). If it was an ongoing issue then maybe give the SSRIs a miss and try the SNRI duloxetine (Cymbalta).

Thank you for this information I didn't know this (no need to wean off SSRI to switch to another SSRI).

The only antidepressants which require a washout period when switching to/from them are the old MAOI class meds.