PDA

View Full Version : common cold or something more?

tan235
22-05-17, 22:58
Hi HA'rs!
So for the past week I've been suffering (being the operative word) from the common cold.
It's Day 8 now and I don't really feel any better.
I went to the Dr yesterday and even cried as I was so frustrated at being congested and she didn't help me, she just told me to go home and look after myself.
Well, I have been, every day taking the right things, de-congestion thingy's, taking 1000mg of vitamin C, eating soup, chillies, I have a daughter and i got it from her but she's right as rain and I feel miserable.
Day 8 I've now got a headache, still coughing up mucus and am totally congested.
I feel miserable - anyone else suffered this long with congestion with a cold?
What else can i do!
What if it's a sinus infection?
The Dr said even if were a sinus infection they still can't give antibiotics!
Im miserable and need to now I'm not alone, that others suffer this long with a common cold!!!

please help....

---------- Post added at 21:58 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Anyone!

StephA
23-05-17, 00:04
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. You don't need antibiotics and should not push for them especially since your doctor said you don't need them. They are way overprescribed for these thing's and therefore are creating resistant superbugs! Anyway, onto your question: YES, I was pretty much miserable and exhausted for two weeks! So yes a plain old cold can and does last for two weeks sometimes. I hate taking so called cold medication because of side effects, so I took Tylenol for fever and aches, and Zyrtec. The things that helped me the most were sitting in our small guest bathroom and turning the shower all the way on hot for about 10-15 minutes several times a day. I sat on the toilet but the steam helped the congestion. Also for three times a day I would do that then use the neti pot right after, and it would get a lot of thick yellow stuff out. Also drink plenty of clear liquids and rest. Also, two of the guys my husband works with had the same thing, each lasting around two weeks. I also had bronchitis with mine and still have a cough. The infection is gone but the side effects can linger. One of his coworker's also still has a cough. It's going around! Hang in there and trust your doc. Over 95% of respiratory infections, including sinus are viral according to my doctor's. Hope you're better soon!

tan235
23-05-17, 00:14
Thank you!! This has made me feel better, I'm in bed, with a hottie, no fever but a headache and congested.
I know I'm run down but I have a 5 year old who bounces off the walls when she's home from school so that doesn't help.
I'm just so miserable, I want to feel better and now sound like I"m talking through cotton wall. Good to know others have gone through it though.... Thank you

StephA
23-05-17, 00:58
You're welcome! It will get better. I felt the same way! It does suck! Just hang in there!

Annaines
23-05-17, 11:45
Try not to use decongestants as they may irritate your airways and produce even more mucus! Just relax and treat yourself. You may try doing some homemade steam inhalations. Usually, cough lingers much longer than the infection itself so don't worry about that.