PDA

View Full Version : Some odd side effects of Zoloft - might help some people

eshu55
23-05-17, 04:59
Hi, I go on and off Zoloft depending on whether I am going through a HA crisis or not. I take from 12mg to 50mg, and have noticed some weird side effects, most of which can easily be attributed to other horrible illnesses (but which go away when I go off Zoloft). For me, the benefits outweigh the side effects, but I just thought I would list some that I personally have noticed:

Nausea
Swollen glands in neck and throat
Diahrroea
Increased bleeding/bruising
Weight gain OR weight loss
Sinus problems
Agitation
Spaciness
Feeling emotionally dead/spacy
Lack of libido and other sexual issues
Palpitations/ skipped heartbeats

Most of these go away after a few weeks, and only happen when I up the dose. But if you are feeling anxious and have just started on Zoloft, then this might help reduce some anxiety.

I'm not saying all these are caused or exacerbated by Zoloft, and may be present to a greater or lesser degree, but for me personally, they are definite side effects (happen whenever I take it, and go away when I go off it)

Fishmanpa
23-05-17, 12:25
What do you mean you go on and off Zoloft? How?

Positive thoughts

Lola-Lee
24-05-17, 06:32
I was taking Zoloft years ago it was a terrible drug,I did not know you could go on and off them like you say.

Dave_Lister
24-05-17, 16:08
I don't think you can because of the withdrawl side effects associated with an SSRI.

MyNameIsTerry
24-05-17, 16:29
I don't think you can because of the withdrawl side effects associated with an SSRI.

Aside from that, they just don't work this way. They are long term solutions.

But the OP could just as easily be saying they use them correctly for periods of anxiety and then come off them in accordance with their doctors advice. This might have been misconstrued.

eshu55
25-05-17, 00:54
But the OP could just as easily be saying they use them correctly for periods of anxiety and then come off them in accordance with their doctors advice. This might have been misconstrued.

Yes, that is correct, and because I only take low doses, I choose to taper off over a period of some weeks (yes, I know that I should stay on it longer term, but this works for me).

So, if I am on 50mg, I then take 25mg for a month, then 12.5mg, then stop.

Fishmanpa
25-05-17, 01:05
Yes, that is correct, and because I only take low doses, I choose to taper off over a period of some weeks (yes, I know that I should stay on it longer term, but this works for me).

So, if I am on 50mg, I then take 25mg for a month, then 12.5mg, then stop.

The thing is, going on and off, upping doses, staying on it then taper off will cause every one of those symptoms. You'd probably lessen the incidents if you stayed on longer term.

Why are you doing that? I ask because I recall my doctor saying it takes months to reach optimum therapeutic levels. I personally was on Zoloft (100mg) for 6 months. I would say that I really felt a difference along with therapy at around 3 months. I stayed on for 6 months then tapered off. I had some of the symptoms you mentioned.

Positive thoughts

eshu55
25-05-17, 03:04
The thing is, going on and off, upping doses, staying on it then taper off will cause every one of those symptoms. You'd probably lessen the incidents if you stayed on longer term.

Why are you doing that? I ask because I recall my doctor saying it takes months to reach optimum therapeutic levels. I personally was on Zoloft (100mg) for 6 months. I would say that I really felt a difference along with therapy at around 3 months. I stayed on for 6 months then tapered off. I had some of the symptoms you mentioned.

Positive thoughts

Um, because I hate taking tablets...but yes, perhaps I should stay on for longer...no wonder I get relapses of HA. This time I will try it for 6 months and see what happens (not having side effects now after 2 months)