PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

sickofpanic
06-05-07, 06:41
Gday everyone,

I'm a 29 year old male and suffered my first panic attack in January 2007. It occured the day after returning from a hiking trip where we got somewhat lost in the wilderness for a few hours which was frightening at the time. I distinctly remember the moment when my mate and myself realised that we were lost as I got a small hit of adrenaline and my body went into action. We made it back ok in the end and I felt fine once I was home the next day.

That evening at home however I climbed into bed and settled in only to notice that my heart was going crazy, it felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. Then the adrenaline hit, bang! A wave of energy rushed from my head to my feet. It happened three times. My muscles tensed up, my chest tightened and I found myself having to jump out of bed and walk around. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. :ohmy: My wife drove me to ER and the doctors took my blood, did an ECG and monitored me. Within a few hours they said they hadn't detected anything abnormal and discharged me after keeping me in overnight. The following day I went to my GP at the hospitals request but I felt so relaxed and "spaced out". It was surreal. My GP said it most likely was a panic attack and not too worry. I certainly wasn't worried as I was totally relaxed and "spaced out" for a couple of days afterwards.

I haven't had anything happen up until a week ago with recurrent anxiety attacks that just come and go, sometimes two or three times a day. It seems to happen when I am on my own more often. It only happened once at work whilst I was surfing sites during lunch about heart attacks. I keep finding myself googling for information and incessantly looking up what is wrong with me which seems to make it worse.

I went to my GP a few days ago and her immediate response was that I was having panic attacks and it could be related to my family history. My mother has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and my older brother had a nervous breakdown about a year ago. She took my blood pressure which is under 120/80 and made me do a blood test and wear a Holter Monitor for 24 hours to monitor my heart. I am now waiting for the results to come back.

I always feel really tired and lethargic after an attack. It this normal?

Cheers,
Sickofpanic

groovygranny
06-05-07, 11:16
Hello and a big :welcome:to you!!

When you consider what your body goes through during a panic attack, it's no wonder we're left feeling tired and exhausted.

I remember I was fit for nothing when I had them.

You'll get plenty of help pand support here!

:hugs:

smudgie
06-05-07, 11:54
Hi and welcome to our family.

I read your post and im sorry your going through a difficult time in your life at the moment.
Anxiety and panic attacks can happen to anyone and they are hell. Im glad you have recongised you have them.
it funny how they start, sometimes because of something silly or a quick sharp shock, or has it dug up something from your past? is there anything you can think of that perhaps got buried away.

Well we are all here to help each other, you have came to the right place, if you need to talk pm me.
I will look at your thread each day so you feel supported.
take care
ness

trac67
06-05-07, 13:29
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

manmoor
06-05-07, 13:32
Hi,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

honeybee3939
06-05-07, 13:41
Hi

And welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will find some great advice.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

SANDYJANE
06-05-07, 14:40
hi and a big warm welcome

Southern_Belle
06-05-07, 15:14
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. Panic attacks can make you feel like you are dying. I've only had 2 and both times I was sedated by the doctors at the hospital so I did feel calm afterwards so I can't answer your question about the after effects. I can suggest that the worst thing you can do is google, it does nothing but make you worry. You will find alot of information here, tons of support and make many new friends.

Hugs,

Laura :)

Pink Princess
06-05-07, 19:29
hey welcome to the site, you will get loads of advice and support here and make good friends. hope to chat soon, take kare xxxxxx

Granny Primark
06-05-07, 19:42
Welcome to the site.
Theres loads of help, advice and support from the members and admin.
What smudgie says is perfectly true.
It truly is welcome to our family:D
Im sure the site will help you so much.

Take care
LYNN xx

sickofpanic
08-05-07, 11:17
Thanks everyone for the kind words and warm welcome.

It's made my day a lot brighter. :D

I had a shocking weekend, my wife was away for most of it visiting her mother and I was in hell! It seems to get worse when I am alone. I think, think, think and can feel it building up. I keep trying to relax and that just seems to make it worse. I didn't get much sleep on Sunday night and had night sweats, frequent trips to the toilet, heart palpitations, muscle tightness and this awful feeling that I was going to die alone. :huh:

I'm feeling much better today however, just have a sore throat and minor headache that aspirin doesn't fix and I feel quite tired. I had an excellent nights sleep last night after heading to bed early, that and the wife is home which took my mind of things. :)

AdamD
08-05-07, 11:37
hey, welcome to no more panic.
you will find pleanty support here.
hope to chat sometime :).

adam

soulsurfer
08-05-07, 17:14
Hi chris,
im 40 and just started having pas out of the blue in dec 06, going through life as best i can, after a pa i feel totally wrecked for days, you'll get some great advice on this site take care
phil

nomorepanic
08-05-07, 21:47
Hi

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.