PDA

View Full Version : New here

LauraJF
06-05-07, 13:51
I joined a few days ago and I'm so happy that I found this forum. I wonder why I didn't find it sooner. I'm 34 and live in New Hampshire, USA. I had my first panic attack 18 years ago and I am currently agoraphobic. I've been housebound for 3 years now and just recently started going for drives most mornings. I drove with a great deal of panic for 3 years before I became so overwhelmed that I didn't want to drive anymore. I started driving again in March by sitting in my truck in my driveway for a short while each day. I did that for a couple of weeks before I felt courageous enough to leave my own property. Then I would drive the distance of a couple of houses before I felt a strong urge to turn and come back home. In the past 2 months I've worked the distance I can drive up to 3 miles from home. I'm working on making it to the Division of Motor Vehicles by next month so I can renew my driver's license. I dread the thought of not renewing it because if I don't I will have to be a passenger in someone else's vehicle which I find extremely difficult.

My biggest fear right now is being home alone. I have a boyfriend who golfs and my parents go away a lot. I fill my self with catastrophic thoughts when I'm alone that I won't be able to find anyone and I will be here panicking and I won't be able to cope.

groovygranny
06-05-07, 13:58
Hi Laura big, :welcome:to you!!

You have had a rough time haven't you?

Plenty of help and support here for you, though:flowers:

:hugs:

spiral
06-05-07, 14:34
Hi Laura,

Well done with the progress in driving.
Glad you've joined this forum
x

SANDYJANE
06-05-07, 14:36
hi laura

a big warm welcome

love sandy xxx

Dave777
06-05-07, 14:38
Hi lauraJF
Glad you have joined us.
Setting yourself targets is going to help.
Hope you find lots of friends here.

Dave xxx:) x

Southern_Belle
06-05-07, 15:08
Hi Laura,

Welcome to NMP. I live in North Carolina way down south from you. I think you are wise to take small drives and build up the way you have been doing, great job! You will find great information, loads of support and make many friends here.

Hugs,

Laura :)

p.s.

great name by the way

honeybee3939
06-05-07, 17:32
Hi Laura

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here i hope we can be of help.:)

Love
Andrea
xxxx

belle
06-05-07, 18:25
Hi and Welcome :)

x

manmoor
06-05-07, 19:04
Hi Laura,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Pink Princess
06-05-07, 20:39
hey, welcome to the site. you will geta lot of support and advice here and make good friends too. take kare and hope to talk soon xxxx

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:01
Hello Groovy Granny,

Yes it's been rough but it's so nice to find people who truly understand.:D
Thank you for the welcome!

Hi Laura big, :welcome:to you!!

You have had a rough time haven't you?

Plenty of help and support here for you, though:flowers:

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:03
Thank you Spiral!
I wish I found this forum sooner!
It's nice to be somewhere so active.:D

Hi Laura,

Well done with the progress in driving.
Glad you've joined this forum
x

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:05
Thank you Sandy!:flowers:

hi laura

a big warm welcome

love sandy xxx

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:08
Thank you Dave!

After I renew my driver's license I'm going to work on driving around my own town and further and then hopefully plan a trip to Europe. I haven't flown in 17 years! I'll have to go and get my passport!:D

Hi lauraJF
Glad you have joined us.
Setting yourself targets is going to help.
Hope you find lots of friends here.

Dave xxx:) x

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:13
Thank you Southern Belle!:flowers:

My parents have talked about moving to North Carolina but I think they've decided to stay in New England. My Mother has started packing up the house after living here 28 years. She's hoping to sell it and maybe move to Maine by the end of the year.

Hi Laura,

Welcome to NMP. I live in North Carolina way down south from you. I think you are wise to take small drives and build up the way you have been doing, great job! You will find great information, loads of support and make many friends here.

Hugs,

Laura :)

p.s.

great name by the way

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:16
Thank you Andrea!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!:flowers:

LauraJF

Hi Laura

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here i hope we can be of help.:)

Love
Andrea
xxxx

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:18
Thank you bluebell!:flowers:

Hi and Welcome :)

x

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:19
Thank you Mandy!:D

Hi Laura,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

LauraJF
07-05-07, 00:23
Thank you for the welcome Pink Princess!:flowers:

hey, welcome to the site. you will geta lot of support and advice here and make good friends too. take kare and hope to talk soon xxxx

EebyJeeby
07-05-07, 00:58
Welcome aboard Laura!

I'm glad that you have found the site, as you will find that many people here have had similar experiences to yours and will offer support. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the links on the left of the screen for lots of background information.

You have already made a real positive step by coming here!

Eeb x

LauraJF
07-05-07, 03:10
Thank you Eeb!:)

I've been reading through the information here and I'm very impressed!

Laura

Welcome aboard Laura!

I'm glad that you have found the site, as you will find that many people here have had similar experiences to yours and will offer support. Also, if you haven't already, take a look at the links on the left of the screen for lots of background information.

You have already made a real positive step by coming here!

Eeb x

trac67
07-05-07, 15:45
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

LauraJF
07-05-07, 22:17
Hello Trac,

Thank you for the welcome! I'm looking forward to making new friends here.:D

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

nomorepanic
08-05-07, 21:49
Hi Laura

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

LauraJF
09-05-07, 19:02
Thank you for the welcome! :D This is a great forum! I've mentioned it to some friends who also have agoraphobia.

nomorepanicHi Laura

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Lindalou64
10-05-07, 12:30
HELLO LAURA,
SO FAR YOUR THE CLOSEST TO ME LOL.....IM IN MASSACHUSETTS, YOU ARE DEF NOT ALONE BUT YOU WILL GET THERE, IF YA EVER WANNA CHAT PM ME OK, NH IS GREAT WE CAMPED THERE ALL THE TIME MY KIDS STILL DO AND SNOWBOARD........HAVE SOME RELATIVES WHO LIVE THERE .....TAKE CARE OF YASELF AND SHALL TALK WITH YA.........LINDA XX

Paddington
10-05-07, 12:43
Hello Laura..so pleased to meet you:hugs: my ,you are doing stirling work with your driving ..i have the same problem ,but after determined effort and help off this site i can drive to my mom's flat..it's only a mile and a half away..but it's feeedom to me:) and now you are talking about flying ,wow you are an inspiration..i would not DARE!!!:wacko: I would love to visit america ,new england is where i would visit too,in the fall..heaven..hey maybe one day..never say never,hey Laura..i think you are going to be just fine hun..if you can break the driving fear then the home alone thing will be breeze..i am on my own a lot,,so i can understand your fear,so dont make it real with your thoughts ..we are good at that ..YES!!Lovely to talk with youLove Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LauraJF
11-05-07, 04:16
Hello Linda!

It's nice meeting someone so close to home! I'll send you a PM tomorrow. I need to try to get to bed now. I'm looking forward to hearing from you again.:)

Laura

HELLO LAURA,
SO FAR YOUR THE CLOSEST TO ME LOL.....IM IN MASSACHUSETTS, YOU ARE DEF NOT ALONE BUT YOU WILL GET THERE, IF YA EVER WANNA CHAT PM ME OK, NH IS GREAT WE CAMPED THERE ALL THE TIME MY KIDS STILL DO AND SNOWBOARD........HAVE SOME RELATIVES WHO LIVE THERE .....TAKE CARE OF YASELF AND SHALL TALK WITH YA.........LINDA XX

LauraJF
11-05-07, 04:24
Hello Paddie,

When you come to New England I hope you will come and visit me. You should come in October. It's the prettiest time of the year to be here.

That's wonderful that you're making it to your Mom's flat! I'm still working my way towards my boyfriend's apartment. He gave me a key Easter 2006 and I haven't tried it yet.:blush: I only have one more mile to go until I make it there. I'm hoping I'll be brave enough to go that extra mile next week.

I hope you're right about my fear of being alone. I realized on Sunday when I was alone that my fear was so intense that I would be more comfortable in a plane because I would be with other people.:D I can't wait until I finally make it to Europe. I'm going to try to go and get my passport this Summer.

Laura

Hello Laura..so pleased to meet you:hugs: my ,you are doing stirling work with your driving ..i have the same problem ,but after determined effort and help off this site i can drive to my mom's flat..it's only a mile and a half away..but it's feeedom to me:) and now you are talking about flying ,wow you are an inspiration..i would not DARE!!!:wacko: I would love to visit america ,new england is where i would visit too,in the fall..heaven..hey maybe one day..never say never,hey Laura..i think you are going to be just fine hun..if you can break the driving fear then the home alone thing will be breeze..i am on my own a lot,,so i can understand your fear,so dont make it real with your thoughts ..we are good at that ..YES!!Lovely to talk with youLove Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx