PDA

View Full Version : Is MND a rare disease?

lily1
24-05-17, 19:18
I'm on high anxiety tonight after stumbling across something on FB about a women suffering from MND.

Now I'm scared, I get twitching in my calves, and occasional jolt from one of my limbs sometimes when I'm dosing off.

I'm petrified now about this disease and live my life in fear of it have I done something to increase my chances of getting it etc.

Am I alone in this fear?

Is it quite rare?

I hate feeling like this!

Scotttt
24-05-17, 19:27
About 6000 cases a year in the US. Out of 300 million that makes it very rare. It's mostly in older people. I think I read the incidence is .5 per 100,000 in the 25-34 age group, which is very very rare.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

And if you look around this forum you will see that it is a very very common fear. Especially in relation to twitches.

lily1
24-05-17, 19:31
Thank you, they don't know what causes it do they?
Nothing is proven about the risks do you know?

I'm really shaking about it! I'm 42

ServerError
24-05-17, 19:39
Very little is known about what causes it. However, there is nothing obvious that one can do to increase their risk, or indeed to lessen it.

It's something of a lottery. Fortunately, it's a lottery you're almost certain not to win. Much like the real lottery.

Scotttt
24-05-17, 20:09
The overall incidence is like 2-3 per 100,000 which is still very rare.

Fishmanpa
24-05-17, 20:20
It's something of a lottery. Fortunately, it's a lottery you're almost certain not to win. Much like the real lottery.

The reality if this statement rings so true and many have said similar.

Of those that play the lotto, how many are sure they're really going to win? I play and sure, it would be great but in the years I've been doing so, other than a few hits here and there, I've not hit the big one nor do ever I expect to.

Consider the hitting the "jackpot" your worst fear and all the other little wins are just colds and other minor niggles. If you think of your fears in those terms, what are the real chances?

Positive thoughts

lily1
24-05-17, 20:21
Thank you everyone so far, any other options?

I've had this fear for a long time and not sure how to get over it :(

Fishmanpa
24-05-17, 20:22
Thank you everyone so far, any other options?

I've had this fear for a long time and not sure how to get over it :(

Professional help :)

Positive thoughts

lily1
24-05-17, 20:24
The reality if this statement rings so true and many have said similar.

Of those that play the lotto, how many are sure they're really going to win? I play and sure, it would be great but in the years I've been doing so, other than a few hits here and there, I've not hit the big one nor do ever I expect to.

Consider the hitting the "jackpot" your worst fear and all the other little wins are just colds and other minor niggles. If you think of your fears in those terms, what are the real chances?

Positive thoughts

Good way of putting it!

I read stuff on the Internet about things that might increase your risk and I read something that I've had done, and a few people had commented that their other halves had got it after and connected it to that so I immediately though I must get it too because they did.

Scotttt
24-05-17, 20:29
There is no known cause or way to prevent it.

I am going to therapy and taking meds because of my fear of this particular disease. I suggest you turn around and run as quick as you can. Shut it down now before it takes over.

It's very rare and not something that should be on anyone's radar. I waited too long before getting help and now I am having hell shaking it.

I've dealt with anxiety before over other diseases, but they were nothing compared to this.

Completely cut yourself off from it, no googling, no forums and see a therapist asap.

Hope this helps.

lily1
24-05-17, 20:50
Professional help :)

Positive thoughts

I've had CBT for HA.

I've contacted a hypnotherapist but still waiting to hear back.

I'm in the UK could a psychologist help me?

Fishmanpa
24-05-17, 21:02
I've had CBT for HA.

I've contacted a hypnotherapist but still waiting to hear back.

I'm in the UK could a psychologist help me?

I found one on one therapy beneficial in dealing with the aftermath of my illnesses.

Positive thoughts

lily1
24-05-17, 21:09
I found one on one therapy beneficial in dealing with the aftermath of my illnesses.

Positive thoughts

Ok thank you x

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

There is no known cause or way to prevent it.

I am going to therapy and taking meds because of my fear of this particular disease. I suggest you turn around and run as quick as you can. Shut it down now before it takes over.

It's very rare and not something that should be on anyone's radar. I waited too long before getting help and now I am having hell shaking it.

I've dealt with anxiety before over other diseases, but they were nothing compared to this.

Completely cut yourself off from it, no googling, no forums and see a therapist asap.

Hope this helps.

It does, I've been down this road before. I happened to read about silicone implants and this has fuelled it again. I'm sure if this was a risk factor more women would be getting it and it wouldn't be as rare.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Im that scared now that my implants will cause this, I'm thinking about Dignitus in Switzerland I'm that anxious! :(

BazB44
25-05-17, 03:43
lots of people who get twitches may not be getting twitches at all. It could be "myokymia", which is harmless....supposedly. Its hard to tell the difference, but I heard on several forums, doctors saying that it sounded more like myokymia...especially if its in the eyelid or fingers.