PDA

View Full Version : jaw issues

damo123ie
25-05-17, 11:28
Hello,

Has anyone had some jaw / TMJ issues in relation to their anxiety and if so how did you overcome these? I've had a clicking and sometimes sore jaw for a bit now and have seen a TMJ doctor who x-rayed it and said I needed to focus on jaw relaxation to overcome issue. Just finding it very hard to release my jaw tension and its feeding the anxiety loop.

D

Jackrabbit
26-05-17, 04:16
I have most definitely. For me, massaging my jaw and ear has helped a lot. Its hard to not clench as you do it without realizing it. I'll also rub lavendar oil under my ears and on my temples and that also helps. Maybe even a little on my collarbones too. Its very soothing. Jaw clenching and TMJ issues are SUPER common in anxiety

poppadr3w
26-05-17, 12:35
Hello,

Has anyone had some jaw / TMJ issues in relation to their anxiety and if so how did you overcome these? I've had a clicking and sometimes sore jaw for a bit now and have seen a TMJ doctor who x-rayed it and said I needed to focus on jaw relaxation to overcome issue. Just finding it very hard to release my jaw tension and its feeding the anxiety loop.

D

Absolutely. I've only had it during one window of time, and that was when I was taking Wellbutrin. It was quite unsettling and felt like I was clenching often times for the first couple of weeks when starting up the med. If I increased the dose or decreased I received the same sensation.

What helped me was just some self massage in the area and stretching my jaw (kind of like a large yawn). Maybe a heating pad would be beneficial to help open the area (increase the bloodflow).

Regardless, it went away for me. If it is medication related, maybe it will go away for you as well. If it is only anxiety related, look into the aforementioned techniques.