PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have a fungal lung infection Aspergillus

Nighttime pacer
25-05-17, 18:09
Hi all
After having a cough for a few weeks which seems a little better now after antibiotics I'm now worried that it's fungal infection in my lungs.

I've recently begun gardening and been using lots of compost and digging about.
I've now scared myself as I read online about people getting a potentially fatal lung condition called Aspergillus from compost.
Apparently some people are allergic to this mould which lives in compost and rotting leaves. In some people it can cause a serious infection mainly in anyone who's lungs are compromised or who has a low immune system.
I have asthma so am paranoid I've now got it because of that.

Maybe I should have used a dust mask in the garden but I had no idea I had to. I'm pretty scared now.

My GP has given me a form for a chest x ray if the antibiotics I'm on don't get rid of my cough in a couple of weeks, as I have a sinus infection too.

I now the condition is rare but I'm so scared especially as one mad died not long after breathing in dust from compost he was using which did cause clouds of dust because it was so dry.

Sorry for the rambling

Nighttime pacer

Catherine S
25-05-17, 18:19
If you're allergic to this particular mold in the compost you'd have this cough every year surely? The cough may well be the result of gunk from your sinuses sliding down the back of your throat ...especially since you have a sinus infection. Once the antibiotics clear that your cough may well improve. It's reassuring that you're having a chest xray too.

ISB ☺

Nighttime pacer
25-05-17, 18:32
Thanks for replying, yes the chest x ray will hopefully be reassuring. This is the first year I've really got into gardening in a big way so that's why I'm worried I guess.

Fishmanpa
25-05-17, 19:19
Aspergillus = Someone's been Googling ;)

Positive thoughts