PDA

View Full Version : Indigestion-chronic

nigel.c
06-05-07, 20:44
Hi all,
Anybody get persistent indigestion ? I don't get heartburn, just a dull/gnawing
pain in the stomach which is sometimes there when I wake up & not associated with food.I'm doing my best to convince myself that its stomach cancer, though at 37 I read that its not likely !!Sometimes the pain subsides
after eating then comes back like hunger pangs (ulcer!!!)I;m currently on
reflux suppressors and have had a blood sample taken to test for some H Pylori
bacteria thing me jig.Anyone else suffer the same, and any relief remedies
other than shooting myself!!
Thanks in advance :-)

angiebaby
06-05-07, 20:53
Shooting yourself will just make an awful mess for someone to clear up, so i wouldn't advise that!! LOL.
I am on omeprazole/losec once a day and i don't feel much better either. I have started eating a low fat diet and that has helped some. I have noticed that some things do trigger it more. But i still wake up with that burning feeling in my neck and stomach. And the pain that i get is that feeling of someone sitting on your diaphragm and you can feel it going into your back. Not nice and it pushes up into your chest too. Drinking water, but i have it like a hot drink straight from the kettle can help with wind. I was told to stay of chewing gum and mints with this diet too, but i find sometimes as they make you burp, this helps. When i lay down in bed at night i feel like someone is sitting on my chest, very uncomfortable and with the burning as well, not nice. I know what you are going through and sympathize with you. But in honesty i cannot get rid of mine either. I am now waiting to be referred for a barium meal but knowing the NHS that will probably take about 3 months to come through and that will be just for the initial appointment!! Waiting, waiting all the time, does my head in.
At least you know you are not on your own in this.x
Oh, by the way, i have been told my a gp that you can still take gaviscon while you are on a PPI, omeprazole/losec or any of the others. It will not affect the medication in any way.x

yorkylover
06-05-07, 22:39
Hi I sometimes get this feeling,its like your stomach needs something to eat.I found a glass of soda water helps me,it brings up wind.Or a glass of warm water from the kettle,just sip it.Iv had years of trouble with my tummy,but no treatments helped.It was all down to anxiety.:weep:

looking4answers
08-05-07, 23:41
Keep rolaids with you all the time..even milk has been known to help if you arent allergic to milk..Try to relax and quit stressing ..Something is eating the lining of your stomach..Worry ,stress or something bothering you .Yes could be anxiety if that is the case get some over the counter pecid ac or something meant to deal with heartburn and acid reflux..I had this really bad when i was getting ready to divorce my first wife. I would wake up in the middle of the night choking on what felt like liquid fire..was mostly just stress..

darkangel
09-05-07, 10:42
snap

ive got the exact same every day and its getting to me. Been like this for months now and am currently on ranitidine. Last night was particularly bad and ive noticed that it can be diet related. Try sipping peppermint tea. Also when eating your meals, eat really slowly.
Some years ago I went to a homeopath regarding other symptoms and Im thinking of returning to see if I can get something that gives relief.
How angiebaby described it does gives me some comfort cos that is exactly how I feel so thanks for that it has reassured me.
Luv Darkangel x

Paddington
09-05-07, 11:43
Yep ,me too!It seems very common for folk with anxiety to have this awful persistant digestive problems and it is soooooo painful:mad: I am on nexium,they help a bit..have been thru all the other ppi's going:wacko: I have had barium meals (enemas too:blush: )also 3 gastroscopies:ohmy: All they find is inflamation so dont worry about cancer( i was the same by the way:) )Soda water is good ,it brings your wind up:blush: oops pardon me!Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxx

neptuno
09-05-07, 17:51
Hello Nigel !
There's lots of good advice here. Also, try raising the bedhead at night time (but not so you slide off the end of the bed !) - this should help with reflux. Try lots of different relaxation techniques to get your anxiety levels down. Be reassured by your doctor this is NOT cancer - not no way no how !! okay ?
Be kind to yourself

nomorepanic
09-05-07, 19:42
Aloe vera juice is supposed to be very good for this as well.

byronhinson
10-08-07, 17:13
Does anyone get a faster heartbeat when they have this problem with acid reflux and heartburn?

sy79
10-08-07, 19:13
sorry to hear your suffering nigel im the same been bad since i took antibiotics, anyway regarding the h.pylori(helicobacter pylori) infection ask your doctor for the breath test because a blood test only shows if you have the antibodies in your blood and its not definite you have the infection or was previously infected cos the antibodies stay in your blood, a breath test will give you a positive result saying if you are infected or not. dont take acid suppresers for two weeks before doin this though, i would advise anyone with indigestion to have this test done as over half the worlds population have it, and when your stomach starts making to much acid, as in anxiety sufferers the bacteria reacts to the acid and can cause problems, although most people have this bacteria most people live perfectly fine with it. needs ruling out though.

kazzie
11-08-07, 00:40
Hi:D

Ive had this and it was an inflammed stomach lining!!!!!!

Very sore but not terminal:yesyes:

Try taking two of your pills in the morning instead of one

Milk is good

Avoid anything acidy fizzy drinks booze etc

Eat rennies!!!

Im not a doctor but it worked for me and generally calms down after a couple of days:yesyes:

Kaz x

kittykat
11-08-07, 09:55
Hi ,

I sufferred really bad with this and was referred for an endoscopy i was convinced it was cancer, but evrything was fine.
I also had the breath test for helicobacter and it came back positive and was put on a combination of anti b and cant remember what else.
Anyway i still suffer quite a lot and have now came to the conclusion of it defo being stress and diet related.
I,m on omeprazole 20mg daily but if its bad the doctor has told me its safe to double the dose, also the advice about the soda water is great as this helps also, and trying to stay of alcohol and citrus foods can help and sleeping slighty raised also, but in all honesty i think until we can get rid of the anxiety we wont get rid of the tummy problems, so try to relax and stop worrying im sure everything will be fine for you .

take care
shirley xx

pips
11-08-07, 11:14
Sorry you are suffering Nigel,

Peptac Liquid is another good liquid that can help indigestion.

Hope it improves soon.

Take Care,

Love Pip's.

Blackstar
13-08-07, 10:46
Hello fellow digestive-problem sufferers!

I too suffer these sorts of problems - not so much heartburn (although I do get it sometimes), more like someone's pushing a fist into my tummy just below the breastbone. It's sometimes relieved by eating or burping, sometimes not...it's odd. I was on Omeprazole for 4 weeks and it didn't really help much. One GP did mention dysmotility (slow stomach emptying), which in loads of cases is just 'one of those things' and very likely anxiety-related.

As others have said, eating slowly can help so your stomach has time to get going before it's stuffed!

Also, someone mentioned a racing heart - yep, I get this quite often with tummy problems. Apparently indigestion can tweak the nerve that runs to the heart and cause it to race or skip beats. I'll try and find the page where I read that - it was dead interesting.

Gaviscon is great - makes me burp and settles any acid. Plus it has a psychosomatic effect for me :)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

:hugs:

Anna. x

Paddington
13-08-07, 10:55
I am glad this thread has popped up again.as i am really suffering at the moment with my digestion problems..all stress related i am sure..my meds are not working and so i get panicky that it is somthing more sinister:lac: The pain and pressure in my cest is awful,it is now lasting all thru the night too.Last night i drreamt i was having surgery on my chest /tummy ,,only to wake and find i was in awful pain in that area..it is so tiring isnt it..any hoo it is comforting to come back and remind myself i am not alone:flowers: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxx

yellowflower
19-12-07, 15:16
hi, i know i am several months late for this, but i highly recommend as sy79 says to get a Helicobacter test done. a stool test (which is what i did) is as good as the breath test, if not better, as i think with the breath test they give you some radioactive thing to swallow first :ohmy: the stool test is non-invasive and you should insist on this rather than the breath or blood test for Helicobacter.

no one knew what i had either for over two months (severe chest pains every day going into my back, felt like someone sitting on my chest, i thought i was having a heart attack on several occassions, etc) until my hubby's cousin who is a doctor suggested i do a blood test. the blood test came back postive for the antibodies (also what Sy79 says about the blood test is spot on, it tells you nothing other than you have had the infection at some satge in the past 3 years !). i then did a stool test and it came back positive.

i have one more day to go with the triple therapy i am taking write now (two lots of antibiotics and omerzapole) to get rid of my Helicobacter infection. In fact I think I got it because my immune system was overloaded and i took 3 courses of antibiotics in the space of two months (probbaly unnecessarily as my GP's love giving out antibiotics even when they are not sure 100% what you have) :mad:

I recommend camomile tea (organic if possible, Tesco do a very good range of organic teas at reasonable prices) which is even more effective than peppermint. I also used to drink lots of ginger tea when pregnant which completely sorted out my nausea in the first trimester of pregnnacy. Both ginger and camomile are excellent for indegestion and nausea.

good luck to everyone :)

joannap
19-12-07, 21:19
nigel - i had exactly the same symptoms as you - sometimes it felt like i'd been punched in the stomach - sometimes just how you describe - like hunger pains. i had this for approx 2 years and was on omeprazole. i worried myself sick i had stomach cancer. eventually i had the test where they put the tube down your throat and guess what - NOTHING! no helibactor either. it was all stress and anxiety - i realised i was clenching my stomach muscles constantly! as soon as i knew there was nothing physically wrong i made a conscious effort to relax my muscle and to stop worrying - it totally disappeared within a few weeks and has never returned!