PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety over flaky scalp moles, unsure how long they've been there

Firstprime
25-05-17, 20:07
Hi,

I've been suffering from health anxiety for several years now to varying degrees. I've been to several doctors and had quite a few issues examined, but it's never been anything serious.

Recently I've been worried about moles. I've always had a few moles, and new ones have popped up over the years (I'm 23), but I've never had them checked, except for one on my neck that I though was new and raised/irritated, which turned out to be fine (and also quite old, judging by some old photos I found).

Lately the ones I'm quite worried about are on my scalp. I know I've had some moles up there for at least 5 years, as I had someone comment on it when I had short hair. About 1.5 years ago I noticed a mole on the left side of my scalp that felt a bit raised and flaky. Not huge, but big enough that I'd catch it sometimes when I was scratching my head and cause it to bleed and scab up. I wasn't sure how odd this was, as I had a somewhat dry and flaky scalp anyway. I showed it to my girlfriend and she said she though it looked fine to her, so I never paid much notice to it.

So over the past year and a half I've tried not to fret over it unless it changed in any noticeable way, but I'd still feel it sometimes and worry a bit.

So a few days ago I was scratching my head and I found what feels like another one of the same time a few inches away from it, and another one or two lower down on the side of my scalp. I'm now quite worried about these, as I don't know how long they've been there. They all feel a little bit raised and flaky, and one had a scab on it which I think was from me scratching it. They all look brown and medium size, though it's hard to tell because of the location and I think they're irritated from me scratching them (not purposefully most of the time, just scratching my head).

I'm going to the doctor to get these checked out, as well as all the other moles I've been worrying about (some of which look irregular but haven't changed or grown since they appeared), but I probably won't get to see a doctor until next week, and I have a lot of anxiety over this right now. Has anyone had anything similar to this or have any experiences that imght be relevant?

Thank you for anyone who reads this. Any advice is really appreciated.

HopelessWorrier2011
25-05-17, 23:08
Hi, all I can say is I'm going through a similar bout of health anxiety right now fretting over marks moles and freckles. It feels never ending just know you are not alone in this. Your doing the right thing getting checked out x

SmithsFan
26-05-17, 14:25
Hi firstprime. I was at the doctor not log ago about the fact I keep getting lesions, bumps, spots, scabs etc on my scalp. I got steroid lotion and it has largely cleared things up.

I can probably trace the origins of these back to a period of high stress. Only your doctor can tell you what's going on with your body but I hope it helps to know that others have been through similar and that what you are experiencing probably isn't the worst-case scenario going through your head and, in actual fact, almost certainly isn't.

Firstprime
27-05-17, 00:30
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

I was just looking through some old holiday photos from when I had short hair, and it turns out that I've actually had the mole which I thought was the most recent for at least 7 years.

I'll be going to get them checked out the next chance I get for peace of mind, but I feel a bit better now.

I hope you're both doing okay.

TheGroundhog
27-05-17, 06:57
I suspect it's nothing. I have a wierd bump that flakes and crusts on the top of my head, have had it for years, I pick it when I'm bored. I don't even know what it is, sure if it was anything to worry about I'd know by now.

Shalu
01-03-19, 06:26
Did you get it checked out FirstPrime? What did the doc say? I’m noticing something similar myself except they are red instead of brown like moles.

Doug90
07-03-19, 08:04
They might not even be moles, i have scalp dermatitis and get all kinds of flaky scabby lesions on my head. It's almost statistically impossible to have more than one malignant mole at one time, so the fact you have multiple itchy flaky spots would indicate that its a problem with your scalp rather than any moles.

(edit, didnt realise how old the thread was)