PDA

View Full Version : Not asking for diagnosis would like some rationality - Skin Cancer

HopelessWorrier2011
25-05-17, 22:46

Good Evening All,

I'm really not asking for a diagnosis on here I would just like to know if you would be concerned by the attached if you were me? Or am I over reacting thinking it could be skin cancer. I have lost all my logic lately. I have seen a nurse regarding this and she doesn't seem to think there's any concern and to just keep an eye on it. I have but I think it's free but can't be 200% certain as I don't know if my anxiety is making me imagine this. It is torture trying to not get a second opinion if this is just my health anxiety.

Yorkshire born
25-05-17, 23:08
When I was in the middle of the worst on my HA I became convinced that a mole I've had since childhood was going to kill me all of a sudden and a small one I have on my cheek had only just appeared, till I found a picture of me with it from about 5 years earlier.

None of this calmed me down of course because like you I couldn't think logically or at least I couldn't accept my logical conclusions because of my anxiety. Letting go for that need for absolute certainty is one of the hardest things to do when your suffering with HA.

Your free to seek a second opionin but it won't give you piece of mind, I know it never did with me. If you do go to get one, talk about your anxiety as well, that's what requires medical attention. I hope talking about these things is as helpful for you as it was for me. :)

NervUs
25-05-17, 23:12
What I have learned from just getting diagnosed with skin cancer is that it can look all kinds of ways.

Have you seen a dermatologist? What kind of nurse?

Personally, I think it's better to get an all clear from a dermatologist or a PA/nurse practitioner that specializes in skin. Of course, I'm a hypochondriac, but a spot like that should be seen, IMO, even though it doesn't really look like a classic BCC.

Why don't you want a derm to look at it?

HopelessWorrier2011
25-05-17, 23:16
Hi many thanks for your response. I'm in therapy at the moment and taking medication it is helping as I haven't got the tingling terror at the moment. It's so tiring and daunting I definitely know how you feel. I'm constantly checking it and don't know if my mind is making it look bigger and different to me x

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Hi NervUS I would love a derm to look at it but unfortunately here in the U.K. you need a referral by your GP. It's difficult to find a private one from my area. My dad had bcc which has made me more aware x

Fishmanpa
25-05-17, 23:19
You've had several people offer their rationality opinion on previous posts about this subject and here you are posting yet another photo and asking for more opinions :shrug:

Do what you feel is right for you H Worrier. These are just words on a screen and aren't getting through to the dragon.

Positive thoughts

NervUs
25-05-17, 23:20
NervUS I would love a derm to look at it but unfortunately here in the U.K. you need a referral by your GP. It's difficult to find a private one from my area. My dad had bcc which has made me more aware x

Oh, I forgot about the UK factor!

Hmm, that is hard. Do you get regular skin checks?

If not, I would drive where I needed to, lol!

HopelessWorrier2011
25-05-17, 23:30
You've had several people offer their rationality opinion on previous posts about this subject and here you are posting yet another photo and asking for more opinions :shrug:

Do what you feel is right for you H Worrier. These are just words on a screen and aren't getting through to the dragon.

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishmanpa,

This is the first time I have posted a picture. I thought this was an anxiety forum a place where you could safely share your anxieties. I am not seeking a diagnosis nor reassurance I am merely asking people to help me rationalise my thoughts and offer support at a time when I am unable to do this solo. It is one of the reasons I joined this group to meet like minded people who understand and can relate to my thought process

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Oh, I forgot about the UK factor!

Hmm, that is hard. Do you get regular skin checks?

If not, I would drive where I needed to, lol!

Hi,

I have only just started to become more skin aware unfortunately 😒. When we are faced with a physical symptom albeit however small it is harder to overcome and rationalise when it is staring you in the face. It i wasn't a health anxiety sufferer I probably wouldn't think twice about obtaining a second opinion but I'm trying not to keep falling into the trap of constant professional reassurance otherwise I will keep falling into this hole and I am quite certain once I settled with this there will be another ailment as it hasn't let up for months x

Fishmanpa
25-05-17, 23:51
Hi Fishmanpa,

This is the first time I have posted a picture. I thought this was an anxiety forum a place where you could safely share your anxieties. I am not seeking a diagnosis nor reassurance I am merely asking people to help me rationalise my thoughts and offer support at a time when I am unable to do this solo. It is one of the reasons I joined this group to meet like minded people who understand and can relate to my thought process

My bad on the photo. There have been several mole threads with photos (and LARGE blurry ones ~lol~) lately :blush:

It's a given that you're here for support. It's also a given that you know many here have experienced the same thing. Many have responded to your previous threads, including myself, with very reassuring replies and support.

I'm only trying to point out a behavior that's just keeping you in the grips of the dragon. Even after medical reassurance and several posts and replies, you're allowing the dragon to burn you. I know my approach is pretty blunt and I understand that it's not always pleasant to face but it's in good intention in the hopes it will motivate you to take a swing back at the dragon for a change. Tell it to F itself! Tell it you know you're Ok and you're not going to let him ruin your day!

Positive thoughts

NervUs
25-05-17, 23:51
Hi Fishmanpa,

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Hi,

I have only just started to become more skin aware unfortunately 😒. When we are faced with a physical symptom albeit however small it is harder to overcome and rationalise when it is staring you in the face. It i wasn't a health anxiety sufferer I probably wouldn't think twice about obtaining a second opinion but I'm trying not to keep falling into the trap of constant professional reassurance otherwise I will keep falling into this hole and I am quite certain once I settled with this there will be another ailment as it hasn't let up for months x

I totally understand that. I deliberately avoided doctors for a long time for slippery slope/ cognitive reinforcement reasons. BUt, it came back to bite me as I let something go for over a year.

I don't know where the balance is, but there needs to be one.

Maybe nurses are trained differently in the UK but in the USA they would not give advice like that. The photo is not great and there is also the element of touch and size and all that, but there are features that make that spot worth checking out, imo. There is a tendency on anxiety boards to immediately fall back to "it's just your anxiety!!!!!!" But that is not correct advice either. Yes, it's very hard. I get that. Hypochondria sucks.

If it were me, I would just get in the queue for a skin check, however you do that in the UK. If you have family history and pale skin, you should be getting them yearly as a preventative. That's not going overboard. That's just preventative health care!

HopelessWorrier2011
26-05-17, 00:02
Hi Fishmanpa

I welcome all replies and as I put the message out there I have to accept the responses even if I don't agree with them ��. You are very right in what you have said and I appreciate your process, unfortunately when you are in the grips of it, it can take a little while for it to be embedded into my very illogical brain. I'm praying this episode is just that an episode and I can't lay this one to bed and master the art of self soothe

---------- Post added 26-05-17 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 25-05-17 at 23:59 ----------

Hi NervUs,

Thank you so much for your advice, I do think there is a fine line between anxiety and an actual valid reason to get things checked out. Good luck for tomorrow and I will definitely be making enquiries x