PDA

View Full Version : Getting some Relief (May trigger skin people)

NervUs
25-05-17, 23:17
I go in tomorrow to have my basal cell skin cancer removed. I did the totally hypo thing and said I wanted am excisional biopsy rather than having it burned since this way the margins will be checked and I won't have to worry about "is there any cancer left???" The spot is not on my face and so I'm not going to get MOhs and I will have a whomp ass scar, but I don't really get the bother with scarring anyway!!!! THey fade!!!

I am doing much better overall with my anxiety, after my husband really let me have it about my mental health. I still have weird symptoms out the wazoo and some lingering paranoia about my skin and several docs appointments scheduled, lol. But, I'm dealing better with the uncertainty, I think. Phew,.

HopelessWorrier2011
25-05-17, 23:53
Good luck for tomorrow I'm sure it will all go well. Glad your anxiety is being managed, it's the hardest thing in the world to do. Wishing you health and happiness x

NervUs
26-05-17, 21:03
It's all over, Hopeless, the skin cancer is cut off. The doctor that did was even kind of cute :-P

I was by far the youngest person in the waiting room and funny how EVERYONE (including me) looked to see patients on their way out- to see if they had been cut on their face, haha.

Hope you are doing better today!

HopelessWorrier2011
29-05-17, 23:17
Hi NervUS, so glad it's over for you. Hope that is the last time you have to go and I am over the moon you got a cute one haha. Thank you for asking how I am. I went back for a second opinion to a Dr this time and he agreed with the nurse that it is totally harmless just something that can pop up for no reason, he upped my meds after discussing my anxieties which I was happy to do. Unfortunately I developed fleshy lumps that day up my arm it looked like my veins had expanded, I flew back to the Dr as my anxiety convinced me it was blood clots (when will we get a break)? He thinks it was heat related ��. They have gone down now and I am enjoying some mild relief from my cycle. I really hope you settle now and I want to say a massive thank you for all your support �� Xx

NervUs
30-05-17, 01:00
Great, Hopeless.

Glad your second opinion confirmed the first!!!

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

AFM,
I am sliding back into anxiety. At my follow up appointment, before the surgery, the physician extender diagnosed me with a AK precancer and froze it off. But, a week later, the scabby thing (it was very thin) fell off (ok I might have picked it a bit) but the AK still seems to be there.

NOw, I just have to sit with uncertainty- NOT MY STRONG SUIT, LOL- as to whether she just did a bad job (I actually felt like she didn't zap it enough right after the appointment) or whether it is something else. I am dying to run over there this minute and get a biopsy...but....it's only been a week and maybe it's still healing (they say to give it 6 weeks!) Grrrr. I am annoyed!!

HopelessWorrier2011
30-05-17, 23:04
Hi NervUS, I hope your feeling a little calmer now. Don't be annoyed the feelings and emotions you are feeling is totally normal and we know first hard health anxiety tests nothing and questions everything. Logically speaking I leave it for the required 6 weeks (I know it's easier said than done) if it's still there then it is quite rational of you to go back and explain it hasn't been removed. I feel every ounce of your anxiety over this and wish you some rest from it x

NervUs
31-05-17, 01:01
Thanks Hopeless.

I did a google search of course and took the advice of another dermatologist online (their web page) and massaged the skin in the shower, and I'm not sure if it dislodged that way. I have it smothered in Aquafor and will continue to do that until the end of time, lol.

Anyway, I've decided 4 weeks is what I'm wiling to wait, and if I see improvement I will be soooooooo happy. The remaining crud does look exactly like it did when I found it though, so I'm not too hopeful.

And, a lymph node just popped out behind the ear where the AK/whatever is, so that is not really helping. It's fairly soft and small and tender, so I'm not really thinking it's sinister. BUt, of course, I could do without it (I am getting over a cold/sore throat, and my daughter has an ear infection and I remember pain in that ear the other day so maybe I had one too?)

We met because of your plea for rationality. Would you give me a rationality check vis a vis the crustiness on the ear and the small node? HOw would a rational person interpret this???? :shrug:

HopelessWorrier2011
31-05-17, 18:58
Hi NervUS,

Well done on setting a time limit, 4 weeks seems very rational.

Put it this way if you hadn't have gone through what you have these last through months would you be as anxious about the node and ear as much as you are? My guess is no, you would link your symptoms with your daughters illness and take an ibuprofen and wait for it to go away. Ur stress levels will be through the roof as like me it sounds like your on constant fight mode, that messes with your immune system in itself that coupled with your daughter having a virus and what do you get? Symptoms that mimic some dreadful illness because in our anxious state we have no personal rationality. I have seen me in absolute meltdown over a freckle on my face not long ago, if my anxiety wasn't heightened I would not have batted an eyelid. This health anxiety lark is the biggest uphill struggle I have ever had to undertake and you will know exactly the terror I have felt. I can't even begin to tell you to calm down over it as I know reassurance cannot break through when we are caught up in it. What you need to do is let your mind breath, find something that relaxes you, try a bit of meditation (doesn't feel like it at the time but it really does have benefits) and talk to your loved ones about how this effects you. I hope you get Somme respite very soon x

NervUs
31-05-17, 22:07
You are right. The recent freakouts have colored my interpretation of everything.

I do have a horrid cough so went to the doctor today, asked about the node. He said aa cut to the ear could have caused the node to swell. I told him about the AK getting frozen off and he said that could do it. I did confide that I worried about cancer and he asked if I had anyone in my family with skin cancer (he is not my regular doctor). He said that his wife's dad had melanoma, so he understands.

I am so tired mentally, I just want to curl up and go to sleep for the night (it is 5 pm here).

BTW, I'm not sure if my ear is improving. I massaged it and most of the flaing skin came off. I have been keeping it wet, and I did notice some of it grew back at one point in the day, but not all of it. Maybe it really is just healing. IDK. So ready to be over and done with this. I have an appointment with my second opinion dermatologist (I don't really like the one I've been with and think I'm switching to this new one) in 2 weeks. I am going to get an opinion on the ear. While it does look better-ish, it is still really red and almost looks like it cracked. I'm wondering if the cryotherapy damaged it or what? It really never ends, lol.

HopelessWorrier2011
31-05-17, 22:47
I find I get that mentally drained it tires me out and I get some relief. I really sympathise and relate to you with all this believe you me. It's so strange how I know you are just fine and I can rationalise it in my own head for you but I also know I would be reacting just like you if it were me. Don't feel bad for being the way you are at the moment, it will pass. I'm having some light relief right now and know u will get it too x

NervUs
31-05-17, 23:32
So glad you are getting relief.
It really is mind over matter, and I am sure letting this turkey get me down right now!!!