PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations

roseanxiety
26-05-17, 01:08
Is there anything one can do to get rid of palpitations? I've been having quite a few today and they are bothersome. I have been anxious for the past week so I am sure it's from that. I have been trying to calm myself by deep breathing but these palps are annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bin tenn
26-05-17, 02:06
The most effective method is to reduce/eliminate the trigger(s), such as the recent anxiety. Sometimes the cause is anxiety, sometimes too much caffeine, lack of proper sleep, dehydration, illness, etc. But since you noted recently being anxious, as you stated yourself, that's likely the cause.

What are you anxious about? If it's something in your control, fix it. If it's out of your control, just learn to accept it. Palpitations are not abnormal during heightened stress/anxiety and other strong emotional responses, even extreme joy can trigger them. How you react to them also plays a part. The more you pay attention, the more stressed they will make you, and the more you will experience them.

roseanxiety
26-05-17, 02:11
Thanks Bin. That's comforting to read . I know they are benign and I am hoping the anxiety goes away soon. I'm trying to do everything I can to lessen it but sometimes anxiety breeds anxiety in me. Not sure what triggered this bout that has been bothering me for about a week. Hopefully it will dissipate soon. Thanks for the kind words .

bin tenn
26-05-17, 16:15
I certainly hope you feel well soon, and I'm sure you will. The more I stress things, the more I notice palpitations. Even though I don't battle frequent anxiety anymore - very rare, really - I'm not immune to stress. No one is. When it happens, I have palpitations - no biggie, it'll pass.

roseanxiety
26-05-17, 19:46
How have you been able to get rid of your anxiety ? Or at least lessen it?

bin tenn
27-05-17, 03:38
I don't know, honestly. Haha. Just by changing the way I think, I reckon. I haven't had any health fears in a long while now. Same occasional "symptoms", but no anxious thoughts to blow them out of proportion. It took a long time, but it's working well.