PDA

View Full Version : Constipation

Mugs
26-05-17, 04:23
Does clomipramine always cause constipation?
I already struggle with this and don't need any more problems.

Mermaid16
26-05-17, 04:33
I take nortriptyline which is in the same class I think. It does cause constipation, but I take metamucil (not sure if they have that where you are from). It keeps me regular and is supposed to be good for cholesterol as well. I have also used movicol, but find the metamucil better. I have also asked my psych if I can change to clomipramine, but first I want to try an increase in dose of nortriptyline to see if it helps. I am tapering off sertraline and am feeling a bit unwell, so am just waiting till this passes and then give it a go. Panic Down Under thinks that clomipramine is pretty good. He will probably chime in and give you some great advice.

panic_down_under
26-05-17, 06:14
Does clomipramine always cause constipation?
I already struggle with this and don't need any more problems.

Unfortunately, yes it may cause constipation, but some have the opposite reaction and many none. The only way to really know how it may affect you is by trying it.

If clomipramine does cause constipation then you could switch to desipramine (Norpramin). It is the TCA least likely to cause it. Its overall side-effects profile is low, about the same as the SSRIs.