PDA

View Full Version : How Long Do Your Panic or Anxiety Attacks Last Usually?

Zanxiety
06-05-07, 22:43
I was wondering, because I always think about this everyday. So, once you start getting a panic ot anxiety attack, how long they the last normally?

With me, it varies between 15 minutes upto an hour, athough on average they often last for 25 minutes depending on the type of worry attack.

To be even more acurrate, my Panic attacks last for 15 minutes whereas, my Anxiety attacks last for 30 minutes or more, probably because anxiety attacks are more to do with your mentality and are not as servere, so your body can manage with the more gentle symtoms for longer.

My shortest Panic or anxiety attack however was just for 2 minutes and 22 seconds.

Ellen70
07-05-07, 01:36
Hi Z, I am unable to pick an answer for the poll as my panic attacks last until I get out of the situation which is causing me to panic - so that is different every time I panic.

I have permanent 'background' anxiety that never goes away (unless I take benzos or am asleep). I have it right now and it surges to a point where I feel that I am going to 'freak out' and then it might go down a notch for a while and then peak again. My level of anxiety makes no sense at all :shrug:

Regards

Eibhlin

honeybee
07-05-07, 11:58
hello... depends on the situation and how much i actually fear the situation before i go into it... mine usually last about 10-20 mins now, although when they started it felt like they were going on for days... although saying they only last that long now, i must also add, that i am the world's best avoider of scary situations, maybe if i pushed myself to do more scary things they'd actually last longer...

nanny
07-05-07, 14:56
Panic attacks are strange things aren't they?? when i first got them because they used to frighten me witless they lasted for ages, the worse one was 3 hours long (thats the honest truth) but once i was given Diazepam and realised they would go with in 10/20 minutes of taking them and also learning the breathing excercises they can now only last 15 mins or less.
Also i get them less and less now, i think thats cuase i'm not as frightened of them!!!!:emot-dance:

kimmy
07-05-07, 20:32
When I first had anxiety and panics- It lasted for days if not weeks, it took 3 months before I began to become calmer (which was only a little) Now I am virtually free but I have recently had a panic attack which lasted for 15-30 min and had a bout of anxiety too. Think this is due to the fact im driving and am about to do my driving test and I have noticed that soooo many people experience it whilst driving,

Gryphoenix
08-05-07, 01:02
It depends on how bad it was and the situation, as stated previously.

The worst one (the first one where it was caused not by an actual physical outside fear i.e., an elevator) felt like it lasted all day. Well, I'm sure the actual panic attack and subsequent ones weren't that long in particular but the cycle perpetuated throughout the day. Anxiety attack then, I guess? The first one that day that started it was pretty insanely intense, grew and peaked at about five minutes and all had but tapered off by fifteen. Then I got bouts of it all day.

kate
08-05-07, 15:34
My actual panic attacks last about 10 minutes, on average. My anxiety, however, lasts about 15 hours a day :blush:

Kate

kelbob
08-05-07, 16:53
mine panic attacks usually lasts about 20 mins, but anxiety lasts all day sometimes lol :blush:

bethnie_j
09-05-07, 20:05
depends on the situation..on average around 20 minutes to half an hour..they peak in around quarter of an hour but the calming down process is also quite slow for me.. although sometimes it can just disappear.
i can feel anxious for hours thought..its the actual attack that doesnt last as long..but thats the worst bit and it feels like aaagggess! pfft!

sammyp
10-05-07, 12:58
hi ive been gettin panic attacks for the last 18 months and mine last sometimes about 10 mins or so but other times its like an hour before im fully calm and back to normal. Ive been having cbt and its heled loads its really gives u a boost. xx

MissChampers
14-05-07, 15:37
Mine last about 5 minutes but I feel anxious most of the time unless i'm at home. When I have an attack I feel totally worn out for the rest of day and all I want to do is sleep.

ashnjim
15-05-07, 08:50
i myself am in consyant pain when i worry about going out or something, as im sitting here i am in pain because i plan on going out tomorrow and thinking about it is making me sore in my stomach and i keep going to the loo.
so i cant really give an answer i can have these pains most of the day.:weep:

greenfairywishes
15-05-07, 11:42
hi

my panic usually comes in waves until i actually leave the situation that has brought it on, usually the supermarket or bus, although i will be anxious all day before or after the attack. sometimes i know from the minute i wake up if i'm going to have a pa in those situations, and sometimes that feeling is wrong-rarely-but i love it when that happens!:yesyes:

Nervous Wreck
17-05-07, 10:45
Panic Attacks usually last less than 30 seconds, and start while I'm asleep Short, but very intense.

THe general anxiety can last for hours, or be almost constant though on some days.

Zanxiety
17-05-07, 17:12
Panic Attacks usually last less than 30 seconds, and start while I'm asleep Short, but very intense.

THe general anxiety can last for hours, or be almost constant though on some days.

I never knew that, because I start suddenly getting fear that seems to start of gently, and get worse, and worse, until at one point it gets to it's worst point for a few seconds until I start calming down, and this fear on the whole lasts for half and hour, or less.

Is the Panic Attack then the part of an anxiety attack where you feel extremely uncomfortable feeling like your going to go mad, or faint for a few seconds until it suddenly starts dropping?

Sorry, I just want to check so then I know that apart from that sudden peak of strong fear, the rest of the attack is in fact classed as anxiety, not panic.

Nervous Wreck
17-05-07, 17:34
I never knew that, because I start suddenly getting fear that seems to start of gently, and get worse, and worse, until at one point it gets to it's worst point for a few seconds until I start calming down, and this fear on the whole lasts for half and hour, or less.

Is the Panic Attack then the part of an anxiety attack where you feel extremely uncomfortable feeling like your going to go mad, or faint for a few seconds until it suddenly starts dropping?

Sorry, I just want to check so then I know that apart from that sudden peak of strong fear, the rest of the attack is in fact classed as anxiety, not panic.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure quite at what point general anxiety becomes classed as a panic attack. I suppose it varies with each person.

I get a dull chest ache & a tense feeling round my chest & shoulders that can last up to all day sometimes, along with occassional mild lightheadedness. I class this as general anxiety. Quite often it happens whether or not I'm actually worrying at the time.

I personally feel I've had a panic attack if I start to really feel out of control. In my case this has only really happened at times when I've woken up like that. Sometimes I've kind of dreamt that I'm having one, and then wake up with racing heart beat and really bad dizziness. But it always seems to come to a sudden end very quickly and very suddenly.

I suppose its slightly different with each person.

Zanxiety
17-05-07, 17:53
Thanks for letting me know. Most of the time when I get an panic or anxiety attack fo a while it seems to be to do with my metality, although I do suffer from a few physical symtoms such as shaking, breathing deeply, and feeling dizzy, but I never seem to get sweating, or a fast heart beat or any aches or pains like most other people do when they suffer from an attack.

Eventhough I don't experience some of these symtoms it's still a Panic or Anxiety attack I'm going through isn't it? because sometimes I worry it's something more serious, although I did start this thread.

Nervous Wreck
18-05-07, 10:10
Yeah that does sound like anxiety/panic attack. THe physical symptoms vary a lot from person to person, as do the mental/emotional symptoms. WHen I feel most emotional symptoms, such as excessive worry, my physical symptoms sometimes aren't there at all, or are very mild, whereas when I do get bad physical symptoms it can happen when emotionally I feel fine.

Zanxiety
18-05-07, 14:46
Phew!, because eventhough I believe to have suffered from Panic and Anxiety attacks for over five years, I suddenly thought as if I was suffering from something else. That's stopped me worrying about it a bit now. I owe you one.:) :D :yesyes:

riverblue
18-05-07, 15:27
I must admit that I have never times a panic attack. Hey maybe a new way of fighting them:hugs:

cycloneuk
20-05-07, 14:35
Mine last around 5-10 mins before i start to settle down usually.

helenclaire
20-05-07, 19:32
i would say my panic attacks last about 10 mins but it is hard to say because the anxiety is always there.

Gleamchaser
21-05-07, 20:21
It varies on the situation and my stress and/or anxiety level. Anywhere from ten minutes for a single episode to a series of them lasting a couple of hours. Anxiety is always there.

mick worsdale
05-06-07, 00:09
I have the same background anxiety, it's a pig to move out of the house on bad days. may even lose my job!!!

Claire240380
05-06-07, 22:21
Hi Zanxiety,

I've heard that concentrating on something like your fingernail can help you to calm down. So maybe counting the seconds helped you to shorten the attack. I think I'll give that a try.

Claire240380

Zek
18-06-07, 18:42
The length in total of a panic attack for myself is usually less than one minute. Whereas the anxiety can go on all day.

anneb
03-07-07, 20:58
Hi there - same as Eibhlin, mine last as long as it takes to get out of the situation that sparked it off. However, the really terrible ones last about 20mins or so.
Best wishes, Anneb

Henry1234
13-01-09, 11:56
Hye - panic attack will usually last up to 5 minutes but the anxiety is there all day until I go to bed and then weirdly I sleep really well !

Dominic1975
13-01-09, 23:55
My panic attacks normally last for about 5mins.... If its the situation that is making me un-easy, say a meal with a large group of friends, they may repeat several times, until I go home
I have also found if I have a panic attack, after I have calmed down, I can be in a anxious state all day until I sleep it off

Duckie
14-01-09, 00:57
I don't time it, makes me more upset.

The heart thing can last for hours. :weep:

Chronic911
23-01-09, 11:10
My attacks usualy last only about 30 minutes or so but my anxiety and tension lasts all day sometimes.:weep:

sunshine-lady
25-01-09, 17:38
Mine usually last an average of between 30 mins to an hour, although there is no fixed rule and they can vary greatly depending on the situation I am in

Krakers
26-01-09, 23:31
When I used to have them (over 15 months ago (touch wood)), they lasted until I consumed enough vodka to feel numb.

Was difficult because I started waking up with them. After everything I've read about adrenalin and fueling a PA with thoughts waking up with them was the last thing I expected. Still not sure why that happened, but no PA's since Nov '07.

Unfortunately I wasn't brave enough to ride them through - I thought I was going to die so hit the bottle.

The longest I can remember an episode lasting was an hour, but usually it was a lot less - I just never gave myself time to calm down before self medicating.

Some days I get to an 8 (0 = no anx, 10 = PA), but I can always talk myself down now. I spot the signs, realise whats going on and talk to myself inside my head. Might sound weird (it was to me at first), but it sure does help not go over an 8.

Krakers.

Burnsey
29-01-09, 19:55
mine last about half hpur to an hour then im left with anxiety for a few days

tracy.splosh
29-01-09, 22:38
My actual attack can last for upto an hour but then sometimes the anxiety can go on for weeks and weeks. Its horrible and i hate it. Something happened on the 22/1/09 and i wont rest until tomorrow as then 14 days have gone by...mad i know but i cant help it :weep:

I wouldnt wish this on anyone its horrible and i cant bear it.

Love Tracy

tigger1964
30-01-09, 07:18
Hi,

i went for 15 mins on average, some last less, some longer, but like a lot of others its my on going anxiety that makes the panic attacks feel like they last longer.

take care

sharon

claire_80
30-01-09, 09:14
my anxiety usually last the whole day, although i have noticed for a few days i have had a couple of hours where i don't feel anxious. Panic attacks last between 15 and 20 mins, this can vary though. I have had a panic attack that lasted a few hours, i think this was because i couldn't get out of the place i was in.

purplehaze
30-01-09, 18:51
In reality panic attacks dont last all day. Dam it seems as if they do at times and more so if you know you have to do something that you dont want to do, like drive your brother and his girlfriend to the airport in 15 mins. So its more anxiety than actual panic attack....I will leave that for the journey home....note stay off the road near glasgow airport and yes that was me running down the M8:winks:

I can honestly say I have felt sick all day but I know I need to do it for my own well-being

So in reality panics dont last long its just the after effects and lead up that knocks you for 6

Blot
02-02-09, 20:26
Re: how long do your Panic or Anxiety Attacks last usually?

Really varies. I may have one that lasts 10-15 minutes but due to my elevated anxiety levels post PA, I may end up experiencing another one soon afterwards

bishops
16-04-09, 20:38
Not sure total panic can be between 5 to 10 , sometimes that one that feels like a electric shock (JUST HAD ONE) not so long. But my anx at the moment seems to be most of the day it go up and down then ends in a PA