PDA

View Full Version : Flu virus question

jules321
26-05-17, 23:19
My main HA trigger is the flu. A client just told me she's terribly ill with the flu and just mailed me a check. I am horrified and stressed that I will get the flu from handling her check. The check will arrive to me 24 hours after she mails it. Am I being ridiculous? Am I being reasonably concerned?

Annaines
26-05-17, 23:49
The flu virus cannot survive longer than 24 hours on surfaces. You're fine.

jules321
27-05-17, 01:33
24 hours is not what I read?

I am really upset about this and kind of freaking out. It's all on top of feeling like this client has taken advantage of me in other ways so I'm really upset that someone with the flu would be writing me a check.

Melonpony
27-05-17, 03:18
If you're very worried, put the envelope aside for a few days, open it near the sink. Transfer it to a new envelope, wash your hands immediately, and then take the envelope to the bank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-17, 05:04
This is what our NHS say about various cold & flu viruses:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-long-do-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body.aspx

jules321
27-05-17, 06:15
Would any of you be concerned about this if you were about to get a check written by someone with the flu?

MyNameIsTerry
27-05-17, 06:48
No. How many times throughout your life are you handling something from someone or touched something they just have when you don't know they have the flu?

I've mostly worked in large offices. That involves many exposures and you wouldn't get a say in it.

Even if you did contract it, what is the impact? Unless you are in an at risk group where things can be more complicated.

TheGroundhog
27-05-17, 07:05
Exactly as above, we handle stuff all the time without knowing where it has been or what it has touched. If you were doing CBT they would probably ask you to lick it lol, or at least handle it and then eat something without washing your hands. Avoiding just makes it worse. I feel your pain, I have been there, but honestly fannying about putting it it different envelopes, or not opening it will make your fear increase not decrease, it's acting as though it's something to be frightened of.

Melonpony
28-05-17, 07:00
I wouldn't be concerned about the flu check. I don't think the virus wpuld make it to me. But I would definitely wash my hands after handling it. Washing hands is never a bad idea, as long as it doesn't cross over into excessive obsessive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk