PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety makes me think all kinds of thoughts.

Noldi
27-05-17, 19:49
First of all hello Im new here.
Its been more than a month now that I experienced my first major panic atack. Since then I now know what anxiety really means. It has been the worst month of my life. I am experiencing so many unwanted thoughts that are consuming me. Its like my brain finds something that frightens me the most. From losing touch with reality to losing it. Becoming psychotic or even forgetting everything that I did in my life. I dont know how to deal with this anymore. Can you guys give me any tips?

Benjammin69
27-05-17, 19:55
Hi and welcome to NMP!! We are a great bunch of normal people dealing with some of life's biggest challenges.

I am exactly the same as you my anxiety makes me think crazy crazy things! Mainly loose control that I might go and take an overdose etc etc honestly if it can happen my brain can make it happen but my therapist helped me understand that thoughts = feelings = actions, and to separate them so a thought is just a thought. It's a fleeting cloud which will pass and that feeling you get of panic will pass too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowghost57
27-05-17, 20:01
Well that's what anxiety does, our brain is in over load with intrusive thoughts. We have to challenge these thoughts and face them. Is the thought a reality? Probably not. My brain likes to predict the future, how silly is that? It's the "what if" thinking. The only thing I can suggest is that you have to stay busy and stay in the present moment. Also referred to as the NOW. Its all we have is the now. Medication may help you, it helped me get over my slump. Life is hard and we need to look at all the positives. There are a lot of helpful threads on the GAD board, read them, they helped me.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Hi and welcome to NMP!! We are a great bunch of normal people dealing with some of life's biggest challenges.

I am exactly the same as you my anxiety makes me think crazy crazy things! Mainly loose control that I might go and take an overdose etc etc honestly if it can happen my brain can make it happen but my therapist helped me understand that thoughts = feelings = actions, and to separate them so a thought is just a thought. It's a fleeting cloud which will pass and that feeling you get of panic will pass too

Excellent suggestion, thoughts are a fleeting cloud and will pass.

Noldi
27-05-17, 20:36
Thank you it really helps to read comments of people who are suffering the same. I hope this nightmare will soon be over.

Benjammin69
27-05-17, 21:25
Thank you it really helps to read comments of people who are suffering the same. I hope this nightmare will soon be over.

It's one of those things that won't go away unless you deal with it. Something must have triggered it off some people are aware some people are not... therapy or meds may help if you can't deal with it

Noldi
27-05-17, 23:36
It was caused by the huge amount of stress that I experienced and the fact of being alone this month.

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-17, 01:47
Do the thoughts just pop into your head from nowhere? And they are scary? If so, they are most likely intrusive thoughts.

I would advise you to read about these to understand how they work and how they are egodystonic which means the opposite of true character, beliefs & deeper identity.

Try not to react negatively with them, it only reinforces the cycle.

There are plenty of threads on the OCD discussing them. They must be 99.9% of what people post about on there.

If they are not this, they may just be the worrying & ruminating that those with anxiety/depression do. Work on not letting them suck you in because it's just negative thinking and it will make your mood lower.

Noldi
28-05-17, 10:15
After my first panick atack they come like most of the day. Its just the fear of being the thoughts. For ex losing it , or ending up talking to yourself in the streets etc. Idk if its a combination of anxiety ocd depression. Thank you