PDA

View Full Version : Bees - who do I call?

KeeKee
28-05-17, 15:30
I have today noticed bees coming and going from a small hole in my front door step.

Needless to say I'm terrified. I can contact my local housing association on Tuesday but I'm sure they can't do anything as I rang before about bees elsewhere. I'm terrified, I won't go round the back as it means going into our neighbours garden and round their side which I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing.

A relative thinks I will need to pay somebody but I don't have the money. I already despise living in this horrible house now I'm worried everytime I need to open the front door. Thankfully my daughter isn't as scared as I am.

Fishmanpa
28-05-17, 15:41
If they're honey bees and there's a hive, you could always call a local bee keeper that may be willing to transplant them to his property.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-17, 15:44
Look on your local council website, KeeKee. They will tell you which dept remove bees, if their pest control handle them. My brother's got them right now too so is doing it (our council won't do bees) and has has to because of a wasp nest in the past.

I don't know about the housing authority but they may be responsible.

If it's just one bee, it could be a mason bee. These are solitary usually and build their nests in our bricks.

KeeKee
28-05-17, 15:45
Good idea. I will look online for local beekeepers.

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-17, 15:53
They have an organisation. Have a look for finding local keepers:

https://www.bbka.org.uk/help/do_you_have_a_swarm.php

KeeKee
28-05-17, 16:04
I've just googled and they look like bumble bees. My local council has a list of pests but bees aren't mentioned. I will still give them a call on Tuesday though.

When I rang either my council or housing association a few years ago and they couldn't do anything it wasn't quite at my front door, whereas this literally is at my front door, so hopefully they will be more willing to do something.

They creep me out so bad, moreso as I'm terrified I could be allergic if i get stung. I have read they don't usually sting you unless they're defending their nest but I have no idea how close to the hole their nest (assuming they have one) will be.

I've googled local pest control but they all charge and I don't have the money.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Thanks Terry. There's apparently someone 1 mile away from me, I'm going to try the council and my housing association first though in case the collector isn't experienced.

I've just googled again and am 99% sure they are bumble bees which means they've probably got a nest not a hive but I've also read bumblebees can sting multiple times.

Why does it have to be a bank holiday tomorrow! I'm hoping somebody can do something as I really dont want to have to fork out, although I am awaiting a backdated esa payment.

MyNameIsTerry
28-05-17, 16:49
A local keeper could come any time so bank holidays won't probably be a barrier.

My local council has a list of pests they deal with and those they refuse too. Does yours say what they don't deal with?

They don't sting unless threatened so as long as you don't disturb the nest, you will be fine. Just keep an eye on your cats for obvious reasons.

Phuzella
28-05-17, 16:54
I had a bumble nest in my garden. They are very docile if you leave them alone :). But definitely get advice from a local bee chap.

bottleblond
28-05-17, 20:56
I have one too most years in an air vent in my back wall. They never bother me. They have certainly never attacked. They are more interested in being busy beez than us boring humans. Let them bee. :winks:

Bigboyuk
28-05-17, 21:09
Keekee Bumble Bees only sting once and die falrly placid too and wont bother you the just want to collect as much pollen as they can and get on with being buzy :) While I don't recommend this to any one I have gently touched them while in flowers getting the pollen they don't attack like wasps do which I hate but can see you are worried call that local bee keeper the council wont bother as it's not a pest plus the would want around £60 to call out to your property if there is only one they arent going to swarm or anything like that :) Cheers

KeeKee
28-05-17, 22:06
Thankfully my cats are indoor Terry so they'll be fine as long as no bees get indoors which they better not.
My local authority does have a list with mice, rats etc but doesn't say anything about bees either way.

The worry in regards to bee keepers is the website says "The BBKA is not able to guarantee the beekeepers are competent swarm collectors." And I'm worried some random person could come and make matters worse. I'm not sure if we have a swarm or anything but we've seen at least 6 bees at one time.

The problem is this is my actual front step, my daughter usually sits on it every summer, also our next door neighbour has very small children who sometimes play out in the front. If a bee gets indoors I'll freak right out too, I despise insects. I'm ok with moths and butterflies (if theyre even insects) but everything else completely has me on edge.

Yeah bigboy the website states £50 or £60 I can't remember which. But to be honest if it's possible I would rather pay to get it moved as we will have to walk past multiple bees everytime we leave or enter my house. I am due a few hundred pounds in backdated ESA anyway. I owe most out but not all. I know it's nothing major but I already hate where i live to begin with and this just makes things even worse.

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

On that website it says bee keepers are unable to assist in the removal of bumble bees. These are almost certainly bumble bees. Even knowing they are unlikely to sting doesn't put my mind at ease.

I'm so creeped out. If it was in my back steps it wouldn't bother me at all as I don't even go in the back garden, but the fact I'll have to walk past them multiple times a day makes my skin crawl.

bottleblond
28-05-17, 22:12
Bees are a protected species KeeKee so It's highly doubtful they will Cull them. Honestly, they won't touch you. They are very placid creatures. Wasps on the other hand are evil. :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
29-05-17, 01:18
I thought that but according to the BPCA, they aren't and they can be killed. They are considered endangered so I guess someone hasn't raised the required paperwork for someone to tick a box on another form to protect them? :shrug:

KeeKee
29-05-17, 13:41
From what I've read, they can be killed if there is no other alternative, but I'll ring the council in the morning first and see. There's no way I could go all through the Summer worrying about them. I rarely go in the garden anyway as I'm very anxious but my daughter does sit on the step in the Summer and I will usually sit on the step with a relative for a cuppa on the odd occasion. I'm scared to even open my door when they're there.

I'll see what the council say first as they probably won't help anyway, then I'll try a few beekeepers and see if they can get rid of them without having to kill them.

Thankfully it's dull today anyway so there wasn't any about earlier when I went out.

Noivous
29-05-17, 19:13
At night get some bee spray and blast the hole. I used to do exterior lighting years ago. A favorite place for birds and bees to nest - warm at night. Anyway I found as long as I moved slowly I could open and work on fixtures with my hands literally only a couple of inches from a very active bees nest without incident...to me or them. Mostly yellow jackets. if you don't mess with them they won't mess with you. unless they are a threat to getting into your house I would just leave them alone and let them do their thing. Just beecause.:D

Bigboyuk
29-05-17, 20:01
Keekee how many have you seen? Think you would be better off calling a Bee Keeper they know their stuff don't waste a phone call on the council they aren't going to help unless you have a swarm of them and you are being attacked. Can I ask why you are anxious sitting in your own garden? Cheers

bottleblond
29-05-17, 20:07
Bboy is right. You could call round some local bee keepers. They would probably take them off your hands and give them a safe environment to live in.

I'm one of these people who feed them sugary water when I see one dying on the pavement. And never once have I been stung by them.
:hugs:

KeeKee
29-05-17, 20:14
Keekee how many have you seen? Think you would be better off calling a Bee Keeper they know their stuff don't waste a phone call on the council they aren't going to help unless you have a swarm of them and you are being attacked. Can I ask why you are anxious sitting in your own garden? Cheers

It says on the internet a bee keeper will usually only collect honey bees. These are almost certainly bumble bees. Plus I'm not sure how they'd even be able to determine how many bees they are etc and how they'd get them as its under my step and theyd need permission from the housing association if they needed to move the steps. I've seen 6 or 7 at once all looking for the hole.

I'm anxious in my garden as I don't like being outside when my neighboirs are out which they nearly always are in the Summer. My garden isn't enclosed and I share my front step with my neighbour.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

I'm not just concerned about being stung, I absolutely despise all kinds of creepy crawlies, even if they were unable to sting I couldn't face having them there. They absolutely repulse me. I'm the same with pretty much anything like that, excluding moths which absolutely do not bother me for reasons I'm unsure of. Plus I know my daughter wouldn't sit on the step with them there and that's the only outdoors she really gets in the Summer.

Carrie8484
29-05-17, 22:26
bees are wonderful and essential to our food chain and environment.

you can ask private bee keepers to come and remove them, you should not have to pay usually.

the council would be my second choice as it may take them longer to respond.

bottleblond
29-05-17, 23:19
Carrie is absolutely right. Bees are essential to the food chain. (The natural one)...

My friend is a trained Bee keeper and she pointed me to this link...

. Bumblebee species are not normally aggressive. They will NOT harm you unless you threaten their nest.
:yahoo:

KeeKee
31-05-17, 15:22
Well my local council and housing association can't help me with the bees. I've rang a few bee keepers, only one answered and said they won't take away bumble bees, I did read this on a website so that's understandable.

I just don't know what to do now, I'm terrified at the thought of them getting in my house not to mention the fact if there is more than one near their hole I won't even dare open my front door.

A relative had bees coming in and out of a small hole and when they blocked the hole they ended up having loads of bees in their house and that thought absolutely petrifies me. It's not even about their potential to sting as I know this is rare, it's the fact I hate all kinds of creepies, plus my cats would try to eat them if any got indoors.

It's stressing me out so bad and I keep imagining hearing buzzing in the house.

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 15:27
What about good old fashioned bug spray? I had a similar situation with wasps a few years back. They had taken up residence behind an outside wall/shutters. I literally soaked the entire area with bug spray. Each time they passed through the entrance along with the stuff seeking in took it's toll. It took a little while and I did it several times more but it eventually killed them off.

Positive thoughts

bottleblond
31-05-17, 15:35
I seriously wouldn't suggest spraying anything in the nest especially as they are so close to the house. You will only make the bees angry and they will definitely sting.

They only nest for about 2 - 3 months in total and are unlikely to attack. I know it's not ideal because you are scared of them but they are not in the least bit interested in you.
:hugs:

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 15:45
I seriously wouldn't suggest spraying anything in the nest especially as they are so close to the house. You will only make the bees angry and they will definitely sting.

Yeah... I forgot to mention I bought the kind that sprays a stream up to 20 feet. They definitely came out looking for a fight. I also did it in the evening at sundown and beat a fast retreat into the house. By morning there were dozens and dozens dead outside the nest.

Positive thoughts and dead bees

bottleblond
31-05-17, 15:56
:roflmao:

Nooooo, no dead bee's please!. We NEED bee's!. :hugs:

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 16:01
:roflmao:

Nooooo, no dead bee's please!. We NEED bee's!. :hugs:

They were wasps... I don't like "bees" in general but would never harm a honey bee. Wasps ironically remind me of angry hard alt right bee manifestations ~lol~ And we get these wood boring carpenter bees too. They're like an overweight bee bully!

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
31-05-17, 16:14
A few years back when we were renting a bungalow in the Midlands, we had a bumblebee nest under the eaves just above the main bedroom window. Even with the bedroom windows open they never ventured inside the house ever. Unlike scavenging wasps, bees are not interested in us or in our homes...eating and drinking outside doesn't attract them either.

We more or less lived alongside them for the time they were there. We'd be out gardening, mowing the lawn etc while they were buzzing to and from their nest without any bother. A wasps nest is a different matter, you wouldn't get me outside amongst that lot! I react badly to mozzie bites and wasp stings, but i'm never afraid of nesting bees.

You'll be fine Keekee, for the time they're there.

ISB ☺ x

bottleblond
31-05-17, 16:42
Here Here Cath!. :yesyes:

Carrie8484
31-05-17, 23:35
please don't use any kind of spray to try and kill them. They won't be around too long , I know you are scared but they are not a hazard like wasps are.
It's really disappointing that nobody will help you though.
Try and remember they aren't going to harm you or your daughter unless you interfere with their nest. Leave them bee and they'll go in their own time.

axolotl
01-06-17, 13:13
I have today noticed bees coming and going from a small hole in my front door step.

Needless to say I'm terrified. I can contact my local housing association on Tuesday but I'm sure they can't do anything as I rang before about bees elsewhere. I'm terrified, I won't go round the back as it means going into our neighbours garden and round their side which I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing.

A relative thinks I will need to pay somebody but I don't have the money. I already despise living in this horrible house now I'm worried everytime I need to open the front door. Thankfully my daughter isn't as scared as I am.

I'd suspect they're bumblebees rather than honeybees if they're nesting in a step. In which case they're very unlikely to sting, and the nest will run its course in a few weeks and they'll be gone.

A few years ago I discovered a bumblebee nest while removing some decking. We were banging about around the nest all day without any trouble from them, they're proper docile things. The only time I've every known anyone stung from a bumbleebee is when they sat on one!

KeeKee
01-06-17, 13:46
Thank you all for replying. Axolotl they are bumblebees that's why the beekeeper wouldn't deal with them.
I'm still not sure what to do.

Everytime I open the door there's a bee there and it's making me feel horrible. My biggest worry is the possibility of them getting in my house that would freak me out so much. Also I have cats who would attempt to eat them and could be dangerous for them.

It will also mean nobody will be able to go on the front step this year, my daughter has already said she won't go out where they are, some are tiny, but others are massive.

I already know they can't be relocated, the beekeeper told me it would cost hundreds as it would involve moving the steps and they'd need permission from my housing association etc. I don't have hundreds of pounds.

My options are leave them bee (as Carrie said haha), or get somebody to kill them. It's not just a worry about them stinging, spiders can't hurt you but I'm beyond terrified of all things like that. If they found their way into my house i would be absolutely paralysed with fear.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 16:16
I'd suspect they're bumblebees rather than honeybees if they're nesting in a step. In which case they're very unlikely to sting, and the nest will run its course in a few weeks and they'll be gone.

A few years ago I discovered a bumblebee nest while removing some decking. We were banging about around the nest all day without any trouble from them, they're proper docile things. The only time I've every known anyone stung from a bumbleebee is when they sat on one!

That's a whole new form of "ring sting" :biggrin:

Phuzella
01-06-17, 16:20
I had a bumble bee nest in my garden once. It was where I used to sit. They were no bother in fact I only ever saw one or two going to and from the nest.

Bigboyuk
01-06-17, 16:43
And again on a walk today I touched a couple on their back while in the flowers, they knew I had touched them they came out of the flower and off they went again I wasn't stung :) KeeKee Please stop worrying about your neighbours and what they think (which may be unfounded of course) and come out of your comfort zone other wise you will be like this for a long time and I don't like seeing you like this. Blunt yes, but true full :) Cheers

KeeKee
01-06-17, 17:59
And again on a walk today I touched a couple on their back while in the flowers, they knew I had touched them they came out of the flower and off they went again I wasn't stung :) KeeKee Please stop worrying about your neighbours and what they think (which may be unfounded of course) and come out of your comfort zone other wise you will be like this for a long time and I don't like seeing you like this. Blunt yes, but true full :) Cheers

Bigboy it isn't really what they think of me, it's the fact I have less than zero interest speaking to others and they try to talk to me when I'm out. I absolutely do not want to speak to them, I'm fine saying hello - which I do, but then I want to be left alone. That being said I seldom venture outdoors in the Summer as I hate the heat.

As for the bees it's more the thought of them coming inside my house. I wouldnt have a clue what to do and certainly wouldn't dare walk past them if they did get indoors, although I've been told it's 'unlikely'. It also wouldnt be ideal as my cats would try to eat them, they eat spiders, flies etc, it's just a massive inconvenience. The few I seen earlier were massive too.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if they were in the corner of my garden or something, but I've got to step over them every single time I leave the house (although they don't seem to venture out if it's raining). I'm also worried sick they'll come up through the floor boards or something. I'm hoping that wouldn't even be possible, but spiders manage to come in so can't see why bees wouldnt

Fishmanpa
01-06-17, 18:05
Just because I keep hearing this in my head every time I see this thread bumped....

Bees - who do I call?

BEEBUSTERS! :D

Positive thoughts and Bzzzzzzz

Catherine S
01-06-17, 18:26
I reckon there's alot of us who thought the same thing fish lol! :D

ISB

KeeKee
01-06-17, 18:33
Just because I keep hearing this in my head every time I see this thread bumped....

Bees - who do I call?

BEEBUSTERS! :D

Positive thoughts and Bzzzzzzz

I was genuinely going to put that in my first post but didn't bother as it'd probably not be funny coming from me hehe. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned earlier

Speaking of 'Busters', I'm starting to wish it was a ghost I was dealing with instead of bees. I'm just thankful they aren't a bunch of spiders as I'm even more scared of those

axolotl
02-06-17, 13:05
Thank you all for replying. Axolotl they are bumblebees that's why the beekeeper wouldn't deal with them.
I'm still not sure what to do.

Everytime I open the door there's a bee there and it's making me feel horrible. My biggest worry is the possibility of them getting in my house that would freak me out so much. Also I have cats who would attempt to eat them and could be dangerous for them.

It will also mean nobody will be able to go on the front step this year, my daughter has already said she won't go out where they are, some are tiny, but others are massive.

I already know they can't be relocated, the beekeeper told me it would cost hundreds as it would involve moving the steps and they'd need permission from my housing association etc. I don't have hundreds of pounds.

My options are leave them bee (as Carrie said haha), or get somebody to kill them. It's not just a worry about them stinging, spiders can't hurt you but I'm beyond terrified of all things like that. If they found their way into my house i would be absolutely paralysed with fear.

I understand it sounds like you have a phobia here, but a fear of bumblebees is irrational as they are docile and very rarely sting.

By the time you've paid hundreds of pounds and arranged for someone to do something about it the nest would be dying off anyway. Once it's died off and you don't see any more bees, plug any holes in the step to stop them getting in again next year (but don't do it with an active nest as they're more likely to try and find alternative exits and come in the house)

Bigboyuk
02-06-17, 13:34
I understand it sounds like you have a phobia here, but a fear of bumblebees is irrational as they are docile and very rarely sting.

By the time you've paid hundreds of pounds and arranged for someone to do something about it the nest would be dying off anyway. Once it's died off and you don't see any more bees, plug any holes in the step to stop them getting in again next year (but don't do it with an active nest as they're more likely to try and find alternative exits and come in the house) Very Good advice by axoloti and will add it's unusual that they would come back next year to same nest (well I know wasps don't )as I had wasps nest in my loft of all places last year the council wanted £60 to remove it, did some research on line and it said once the autumn/winter came the nest would die off and it did and next year they wouldn't come back and that's true as well. If your housing association is responsible for all repairs once the bees have gone get them out to plug the hole with concrete job done, problem solved :) HTH Cheers

KeeKee
02-06-17, 15:16
Thank you both for replying. It's the possibility of them getting into the house that is causing me to worry. I have 3 cats who would without a doubt attempt to eat them and this could warrant in a trip to the vets, if all 3 were to get stung this would be an absolute nightmare and probably impossible to do alone.

This morning one was right where my door shuts, didn't realise how long their legs were!

Our next door neighbour keeps blocking the hole even though I've already said that means multiple bees flying at my front door, I'm worried they'll keep doing it (i keep moving the rock out the way) and they'll end up coming into my house.

Bigboyuk
02-06-17, 15:49
Thank you both for replying. It's the possibility of them getting into the house that is causing me to worry. I have 3 cats who would without a doubt attempt to eat them and this could warrant in a trip to the vets, if all 3 were to get stung this would be an absolute nightmare and probably impossible to do alone.

This morning one was right where my door shuts, didn't realise how long their legs were!

Our next door neighbour keeps blocking the hole even though I've already said that means multiple bees flying at my front door, I'm worried they'll keep doing it (i keep moving the rock out the way) and they'll end up coming into my house. I take the hole is on your property and not theirs? If it is, just kindly say I know you are trying to help but you aren't helping I do understand your concern especially over your cats, bee stings can cause a very bad reaction in humans and cats so yes, I understand :) Hope you get the problem sorted sooner than later! Cheers

Fishmanpa
02-06-17, 16:02
This is obviously causing you a great deal of stress and anxiety KeeKee but with respect, there really aren't a lot of choices here. Either deal with it or call someone to deal with it. We can post 20 pages of reassurance but one way or another, something needs to be done.

Hope you reach a solution.

Positive thoughts

axolotl
02-06-17, 16:41

Our next door neighbour keeps blocking the hole even though I've already said that means multiple bees flying at my front door, I'm worried they'll keep doing it (i keep moving the rock out the way) and they'll end up coming into my house.

Just to say (again...) I had a nest in my front door step, they never came in the house that I remember, and I have a cat and never gave it a second thought (like humans, bee stings in cats are usually a bit painful when they happen but not harmful unless they have an allergic reaction, which most people/cats won't, though obviously stings in the mouth can be a bit dodgy). I appreciate I haven't got a fear of bees so it didn't bother me, but please be reassured you really are worrying about this far more than you need to.