PDA

View Full Version : 4 week cough

J_Graham
28-05-17, 18:17
Hello,

I've had a cough for just over 4 weeks now. It started off as dry but over the last couple of weeks it's produced a little mucus. More recently the cough has become 'shallower' but tonight I noticed a bit of blood in my saliva after coughing which has me feeling terrified.

I work abroad but I've still managed to visit a doctor. I was given a chest x-ray which I was told looked fine, and then an allergy blood test which came back negative. So, I was prescribed an inhaler for asthma (I'm not asthmatic) and told to drink herbal teas.

None of that seems to have worked and now, with the coughing up blood, I'm really worried it's lung cancer or something equally serious.

I've had no other symptoms, don't smoke, and the cough isn't a hangover from a cold, virus or flu. It just started one day and hasn't stopped.

Any reassurance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kay8010
30-05-17, 09:09
Hello

I have been coughing for more or less 5 months now & there seems to be no let up so you are not alone!

Two chest xrays, one last year and one this year, both clear! Dr also gave me an inhaler, steroid spray and reflux meds, sadly, none are working but going back in 6 weeks as per Dr instructions to give the reflux meds to work. If the cough is not gone well its to respiratory unit for further investigations......

I think chest xrays are pretty good in general and reassuring as my Dr states.
Being a former smoker (stopped smoking 4 months ago) of course I am terrified of lung cancer but you are not a smoker which is more of a reassurance to you :)

I am 36, how old are you?

You will be fine :)

ankietyjoe
30-05-17, 09:52
There's a lot of it going around at the moment.

My boys have had a cough for a few weeks and a lot of other people in the area have too, I've had one for a couple of weeks as well.

I coughed up blood a couple of years ago when I had a chest infection and freaked out, but the Doctor told my I probably just pinched a nerve ending from all the coughing. Unless it's a lot, and persistent, I wouldn't worry.

Best bet is to see the Doctor, I'm sure it's nothing serious.

J_Graham
31-05-17, 14:20
Thanks guys. I'm 31, non-smoker.

Had an endoscomy today which was pleasant. Doc said it looks like I have gastritis which may be causing the cough. Or may not be.

I've now been told 3465 things it might be. Still waiting on that 1 thing it definitely is.

Kay8010
31-05-17, 14:50
Thanks guys. I'm 31, non-smoker.

Had an endoscomy today which was pleasant. Doc said it looks like I have gastritis which may be causing the cough. Or may not be.

I've now been told 3465 things it might be. Still waiting on that 1 thing it definitely is.

Glad your procedure went to plan.

Yes, my GP said that 80% of dry coughs are benign conditions (wish the lung cancer adverts would suggest this on TV too)

You not alone, I am still under 'investigation':weep: