PDA

View Full Version : Son's weight loss

lofwyr
29-05-17, 18:39
So a quick question for everyone. I am not overly freaked out, but a little nervous. My son keeps losing weight. Not much, but enough given that his diet is not exactly low calorie, and his activity level is not that high. He is 19, and over the course of the last couple months, the scale has dropped him from 176 to 169 pounds. He eats enough, and does not work out, though he does work. Some days he will eat less, like one or two meals, but being the anxiety nut I am, I am of course fearing the worst.

When one talks about cancer weight loss, am I correct in assuming it is generally more extreme than that, and more rapid as well?

Fishmanpa
29-05-17, 18:59
Ok... 7 lbs in a couple of months, 19yo active teenager (I assure you he's more active than I was when I took ill! ~lol~).....

Real life experience: At the peak of it, that much in a week! Prior to that less. It was progressively faster as I got sicker. I lost close to 70lbs in 5 months! (and gained back about 40 of it Uggghh) ;)

Positive thoughts

swe
29-05-17, 19:05
How tall is he? Unless he's like 6'8 I wouldn't be worried. Besides 7 lbs is not much at all in a couple of months.

I'm 5'10 and 140-145 lbs and I'm in a healthy BMI.

Don't worry :)

Edit: Also yes, it's probably alot more extreme. Atleast for when it happend to my aunt, she was maybe 130 pounds before but she got down to like 85 lbs when she passed away. Same thing with my grandpa, who was physically fit before went to very skinny and passed away just in 3 months.

lofwyr
29-05-17, 23:40
He is 6'2 or so, but a lean frame. I am sure it is no big deal, I just worry when he tells me out of the blue that he weighed himself and he is 169. He has never weighed that little, well, not since he broke 6' years ago.

He did get braces at the end of January (long story why he had to wait until he was 19). I am sure his unwillingness to snack so he doesn't have to brush his teeth accounts for a lot of it.

The moment is more or less passed, just a reaction to him telling me his weight this morning.

lofwyr
30-05-17, 13:19
Apparently not as "over it" as I thought, as I woke up sleepless two hours earlier than my alarm.

The logical brain in the early hours of the morning "he only lost seven pounds and he has been eating two meals a day on average, so big deal!"

The illogical, anxiety-ridden part of my brain, "what if this is just the start, and something *is* wrong?"

I know we have all been there, we have all dealt with those "what-ifs," and as bad as it is when it affects me, I really hate it when my anxiety zeros in on my kids or my wife.

And what is worse, while my son does not have health anxiety, he does suffer with anxiety in general, and can get pretty worked up about things. Sorry to have passed this on if it is genetic at all.

Man, do I just loathe anxiety in general.