PDA

View Full Version : Can 5 year old have nodular melanoma?

darkside4k
30-05-17, 23:51
We noticed a raised pink / red / brown spot on the side of my daughters head 2 days ago. The walkin clinic thought it maybe was an infected bite or maybe a hemangioma but weren't sure.

We have an appointment with her regular doctor tomorrow. I am worried it is maybe a nodular melanoma. Is that possible on a 5 year old?

Really worried :(

bin tenn
31-05-17, 00:15
Anything is possible, but you shouldn't worry about it. It's bad enough to have worries of your own, but don't project them onto others. She's fine, you're just projecting anxiety.

worriermama
31-05-17, 00:39
Perhaps a molluscum? They're not serious.

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 00:59
In the last 5 months you've "survived" ALS, skin cancer, a brain tumor and colon cancer. Now your child has melanoma? I'm truly sorry to hear this :(

Positive thoughts

NervUs
31-05-17, 01:10
It would be rare, but it is possible. I think it's good that you are getting it checked, even though it's probably fine.

darkside4k
31-05-17, 01:12
Wow glad to know it's possible. That sucks

darkside4k
31-05-17, 01:16
Now I'm really in a panic. I can't believe my 5 year old could have nodular melanoma.

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 01:19
Now I'm really in a panic. I can't believe my 5 year old could have nodular melanoma.

Just take her to urgent care (Not the ER! That's for real emergencies) right now if you're that concerned. Let us know what they say.

Positive thoughts

NervUs
31-05-17, 01:21

Just remember, nobody said that exactly. Try to keep this in perspective.

MyNameIsTerry
31-05-17, 01:25

Eh? Were you expecting a "no chance of it being possible" and you've missed the expected reassurance?

Anyway, you're on the internet asking the untrained and have been given a medical opinion by someone trained. Why would it matter?

You've got to ask yourself why you focus on rare health possibilities when there are many things that can happen to any of us tomorrow without any warning. Why don't those scare you?

What rare things could happen to me tomorrow? Well, perhaps I'll get runover by a bus but I don't plan on changing my underwear just in case*

* lets face it, they wouldn't be in the same condition anyway after seeing a bus hurtling towards me**:winks:

** that doesn't imply I'm not changing my underwear anyway :noangel:

Gary A
31-05-17, 07:11

If you're in such a panic then take your child to a doctor rather than sitting on the internet telling a bunch of strangers how convinced you are that your child is ill.

How's the colon cancer/brain tumour/skin cancer/ALS coming along?

swajj
31-05-17, 10:28
I'm pretending that you are sincere. It's better that way. This is the advice that I would give to a genuine HA sufferer in your position: go and get some help for your mental health issues before they make your child neurotic.

lofwyr
31-05-17, 14:24
Absolutely agree with Swajj.

Additionally, I had a scare in which the doctor actually thought I *did* have nodular melanoma. I mean, I thought it was a blood blister, but he took it right away and was very worried. Not knowing about my HA, he sent me into a four day spiral where I was doing everything but writing my will. In that time, I researched the hell out of nodular melanoma, the only time I googled in years to that point, but I thought I had it, and wanted to be aware and fight it.

As it turns out, that odd looking thing was an abnormality, but completely benign. Still have not had an explanation for what it was, but I will take the word benign any day. My point is, our skin does some weird stuff. I was warned by a medical professional that this could be cancer, and it was not.

So, do not project this on your kid. I have done that, and it doesn't help anyone. You need to get some help, and not the reassurance we fail to provide. It can get better, but you have to go get help to get there.

Josh1234
31-05-17, 20:24
This guy is a true master of his craft. I respect it.

bottleblond
31-05-17, 21:50

I am REALLY confused and concerned that you are "Glad to know it's possible" that a mark on the side of your small child's head could be a melanoma?. And follow up with "that sucks".... WTF?.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Seriously, I have a lot of compassion for HA sufferers but this has left me flabbergasted.

It read to me like " that sucks but glad it's her and not me this time".

I'm just horrified by this thread, I really am.

NervUs
31-05-17, 21:57
I am REALLY confused and concerned that you are "Glad to know it's possible" that a mark on the side of your small child's head could be a melanoma?. And follow up with "that sucks".... WTF?.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Seriously, I have a lot of compassion for HA sufferers but this has left me flabbergasted.

It read to me like " that sucks but glad it's her and not me this time".

I'm just horrified by this thread, I really am.

I don't think that's what she (he?) meant.

I read it as, she was expecting to hear it is NOT possible for a kid to have nodular melanoma, then was not thrilled to learn the correct answer.

Fishmanpa
31-05-17, 22:04
An HA sufferer will argue against reassurance with "yeah but" and "what if" and grab at the slightest chance to validate their fear. I've found the behavior patterns very predictable.

Positive thoughts

bottleblond
31-05-17, 22:25

I read it as, she was expecting to hear it is NOT possible for a kid to have nodular melanoma, then was not thrilled to learn the correct answer.

I'll have to read through again in case I got it wrong.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

No sticking with my original observation. He's asked IF it is possible. People are replying saying Yes it is and that's when he replied.

KK77
31-05-17, 22:40
I'll have to read through again in case I got it wrong.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

No sticking with my original observation. He's asked IF it is possible. People are replying saying Yes it is and that's when he replied.

You are NOT mistaken BB. Let me call this person out for what they really are... A scamming, lowlife TROLL. This is a young person imo, perhaps a failed college/uni student, with time on their hands to play psychological games with genuinely vulnerable people. But every now and then the mask slips. You have NO child. A parent would not react like that.

Darkside of human nature indeed. Perhaps one day you will know what real physical illness is...

bottleblond
31-05-17, 22:53
You are NOT mistaken BB. Let me call this person out for what they really are... A scamming, lowlife TROLL. This is a young person imo, perhaps a failed college/uni student, with time on their hands to play psychological games with genuinely vulnerable people. But every now and then the mask slips. You have NO child. A parent would not react like that.

Darkside of human nature indeed. Perhaps one day you will know what real physical illness is...

I was beginning to doubt my own judgement there.

I have suffered really crazy HA, many many many of my friends on here have too but I have never read a thread quite like this one.

Unless....

The HA sufferer also has a case of (Munchausen syndrome by proxy) and if that's is the case then absolutely nothing we say will skim the surface.

KK77
31-05-17, 23:03
I was beginning to doubt my own judgement there.

I have suffered really crazy HA, many many many of my friends on here have too but I have never read a thread quite like this one.

Unless....

The HA sufferer also has a case of (Munchausen syndrome by proxy) and if that's is the case then absolutely nothing we say will skim the surface.

Well he can go munchen elsewhere :lac:

bin tenn
31-05-17, 23:10
I didn't look at OP's name before I replied. If I had done so, I wouldn't have replied to begin with. Smh.

Anne1989
31-05-17, 23:16
Hi DarkSide,

This is highly, highly, highly, unlikely. In fact, I have never heard of that happening on a five year old. The doctor will be able to quell your fears tomorrow.

bin tenn
31-05-17, 23:20
Hi DarkSide,

This is highly, highly, highly, unlikely. In fact, I have never heard of that happening on a five year old. The doctor will be able to quell your fears tomorrow.

If you know darkside, and his other aliases, you know that no doctor can even begin to quell the highly irrational fears.

bottleblond
31-05-17, 23:39
Darkside, If you are genuine then the best advice I could give you is to seek professional help and if you are indeed fake, then I would certainly urge you to get professional help.

You don't converse like a genuine HA sufferer, In fact you tend to ignore most comments and then go on with your own agenda. People with health anxiety find it very important to engage in conversation with others who offer advice because it really does help to "talk" to people and get some well needed reassurance. Looking back at your previous posts, you come across as blatantly uninterested in any support you are offered and would rather carry on with your continuous list of ailments. (As I said previously, HA sufferers do not act that way).

So many people (myself included) have spent time trying to help you and that's so sad.

Lisa

Catherine S
01-06-17, 00:10
Be very careful KK, the 'T' word can get you removed from the thread. Oh wait...that's just me :shades:

ISB ☺

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 01:18

That's how I read it. A response of "oh great, thanks for telling me this!" rather than the expected "no chance, you will be fine" reassurance they want.

But here we go again...:doh:

bin tenn
01-06-17, 01:19
Be very careful KK, the 'T' word can get you removed from the thread. Oh wait...that's just me :shades:

ISB ☺

I've been removed before, for the same thing.

roseanxiety
01-06-17, 04:36
What is the T word and why can you be removed from the thread for using it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 04:42
What is the T word and why can you be removed from the thread for using it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troll.

Admin have said many times to drop the issue. It's not the word alone, it's the arguments on threads between some who believe certain members are trolls and those who disagree. They are just asking us to follow the forum rules about respect.

It's been going on for years and until the members are in agreement, the arguments will just keep happening. Therefore Admin have continually asked that people just give the thread a wide birth. It came to a head where they said they would start banning people out of threads, a decision I support and am glad to see implemented as they've tried & tried.

I'm sure they've got better things to do than monitor threads and they have their own anxiety to deal with.

Gary A
01-06-17, 08:58
It's too bad that the rules about respect don't really seem to apply to the OP. Ignoring responses completely, starting new threads about further ailments without updating anyone on how the last concern turned out, blatantly ignoring requests to update people on any particular concern, alarming and graphic posts about wasting away in front of their kids etc...

None of that is showing respect in any way. It just seems, to me at least, that the rules of this forum can be flaunted constantly so long as you're claiming that you're anxious. I don't know about a troll, I don't really care either in all honesty, but at the very least this person is acting in a way that is making quite a few people question their motive.

No smoke without fire, as they say.

KK77
01-06-17, 14:38
I stand by my gut feeling and opinions re this member and I have no desire to argue about it with anyone. Of course there are those who will disagree or think I'm being too harsh but I don't really care as I've removed myself from posting any form of advice/support for this member. I would urge others to do the same but that's again just my view. I intervened in this thread because a friend I care about was genuinely doubting their own judgement, and, as mentioned above, we also have our mental health problems to deal with, and certain posts can be very triggering.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 15:50
It's too bad that the rules about respect don't really seem to apply to the OP. Ignoring responses completely, starting new threads about further ailments without updating anyone on how the last concern turned out, blatantly ignoring requests to update people on any particular concern, alarming and graphic posts about wasting away in front of their kids etc...

None of that is showing respect in any way. It just seems, to me at least, that the rules of this forum can be flaunted constantly so long as you're claiming that you're anxious. I don't know about a troll, I don't really care either in all honesty, but at the very least this person is acting in a way that is making quite a few people question their motive.

No smoke without fire, as they say.

Quite a few members do the same. Anyway, the rule about respect is quite clear. We really don't need openly abusive posts on here. Face-to-face groups don't tolerate it, and will remove you from the room or even ban you from attendance, and it should be the same here.

Gary A
01-06-17, 16:01
Quite a few members do the same. Anyway, the rule about respect is quite clear. We really don't need openly abusive posts on here. Face-to-face groups don't tolerate it, and will remove you from the room or even ban you from attendance, and it should be the same here.

I don't see what difference it makes if more than one person does it. Safety in numbers or something? :shrug:

Face to face groups also wouldn't tolerate someone being ignorant and repeatedly seeking reassurance. They probably wouldn't tolerate someone arriving with a mask on pretending to be someone else, either.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 16:11
I don't see what difference it makes if more than one person does it. Safety in numbers or something? :shrug:

Face to face groups also wouldn't tolerate someone being ignorant and repeatedly seeking reassurance. They probably wouldn't tolerate someone arriving with a mask on pretending to be someone else, either.

My point was, it's happening all over the forum yer I don't see all those threads getting the same treatment. Whilst it's annoying it doesn't seem to translate into the same response as a case like this which seems more about the belief the OP is a WUM.

Groups are ran by trained people. We are not. They are not influenced by a number of people complaining who have an opinion. They will decide whether the person is to be removed or the complainants told to stop complaining. If the complainants continue to seek to complain, therefore disrupting the group, they can be removed.

So, if Admin review the situation and decide someone is fine to stay, why should they allow people to keep raising the same complaint on each thread disrupting it back into an argument? Admin obviously haven't taken it lightly and other forums do the same.

bottleblond
01-06-17, 16:12
I have to agree with KK and Gary!.

Gary A
01-06-17, 16:19
Do you ever feel like admin should speak for themselves rather than you doing it for them? Genuine question.

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 16:24
Of course! I really welcome them to join this thread and calm it down.

But nice try, aren't we both discussing what we think the rules should be?

Anyway what I said before about them was just repeating what they have said time & time again about ignoring threads and the thread ban issue was Nic herself. What I talked about in face-to-face groups is my experience of one charity and how efficient they were at stopping what goes on here.

We are all going to agree or disagree about threads like this but the forum rules are another matter. They are nice & clear.