PDA

View Full Version : Some Reassurance?

Goblin88
01-06-17, 04:28
Hi folks, having a tough time lately believing that what I'm feeling is due to anxiety..

This is my second time dealing with anxiety, I went through a year and a half of constant, every day symptoms in 2012-2013 due to heart fears after losing my dad to a heart attack in June 2011, until I began volunteering at a church. I was there until the beginning of 2016 and hadn't felt a single ounce of anxiety for those 3 years. I went through a bad breakup in Jan of 2016 and woke up one day in feb 2016 with a feeling like it was difficult to inflate my lungs, this feeling perisited every day for a year without causing me actual anxiety. In late feb 2017 I suddenly developed this anxiousness that I had terrible asthma and would die from it. I saw doctors who assured my my lungs sounded great etc..

As soon as this asthma fear went away, I began having some chest pains, began noticing my heart racing, feeling lightheaded and as though I'd pass out at times. These feelings began leading to episodes of tensing up and trembling. They'd last about 15-20 minutes and come and go during that time frame. When they were over I'd feel worn out and actually relaxed.

Now, I have this fear that I have some sort of arrhythmia, however I have had 2 Electrocardiograms, one at the emergency room and the other at my regular doctors office. Both times my heart rate was 130-140 but tests were clear of any abnormalities. I seem to be having trouble accepting that these episodes of fast heart rates are simply anxiety and nothing more. My doctor has assured me and yet here I am stilll worrying. I feel a general increase in anxiety after eating as well, my heart rate will go up above 100 and I'll feel on edge.

I've also had two full blood work ups and the only issue was low vitamin D.

I should also mention that my resting heart rate when taken first thing in the morning is typically between 75-80. And it's in the mud 80s when I am relaxed, but that's not often.

meant2live
01-06-17, 04:40
It sounds like you are pretty healthy according to those tests.

You also sounded like you were doing well when you volunteered at church. Could you go back to doing that?

Goblin88
01-06-17, 07:04
It sounds like you are pretty healthy according to those tests.

You also sounded like you were doing well when you volunteered at church. Could you go back to doing that?

I was doing amazing while there, I left for some personal reasons and haven't really been able to find another place that makes me feel comfortable yet.

Anne1989
01-06-17, 13:17
Hi Goblin,

This is pretty standard anxiety. I am so sorry you are going through this. The worst part about our health anxiety is that it starts off with us feeling nervous about a symptom, which then makes it worse, and gives us knew symptoms to worry about. Doctors take heart problems seriously, and the doctor is positive you don't have a heart problem, so you don't have a heart problem! ( I know, easier said than believed right).

Is there a way you can go to therapy, or even group therapy that might help?

Goblin88
01-06-17, 18:32
Hi Goblin,

This is pretty standard anxiety. I am so sorry you are going through this. The worst part about our health anxiety is that it starts off with us feeling nervous about a symptom, which then makes it worse, and gives us knew symptoms to worry about. Doctors take heart problems seriously, and the doctor is positive you don't have a heart problem, so you don't have a heart problem! ( I know, easier said than believed right).

Is there a way you can go to therapy, or even group therapy that might help?

Thank you. I guess the only reason why I haven't been to therapy yet is because I know in my heart that it's just an anxiety issue, and I feel like once I convince myself fully I'll be able to move on from it. It was 100x worse when I dealt with it in 2012 and no doctor, therapist or medication worked for me. It only ended after I stopped worrying about it while volunteering at a church. I didn't miss a single Tuesday or Sunday in 3 years. I might be a little stubborn as well lol.