PDA

View Full Version : WW3

mrknownothing
01-06-17, 08:03
As the title suggest I’m really scared we are heading for WW3. I’ve quit my job, I’ve stopped eating properly, I’ve quit gym. Everything is just caving in. I spend all day in bed reading/scanning different news websites. I can’t look forward to anything as I just think whats the use..

I’m so scared. So much bad stuff is going on in the world. South China sea, US/China relations, US/Russia relations, NATO/Russia, Syria.

I don’t want to be conscripted, forced to kill another men, see my family hurt.
Surely we should have learnt from the first two world wars. I can’t believe this is all happening again.

snowghost57
01-06-17, 13:36
For one thing don't believe the media. They love to sensationalize everything on the internet and television. I doubt seriously if the world leaders will start WW3. If your anxiety has reduced you to hiding in your bedroom then you need professional assistance.

Cakelady
01-06-17, 16:47
The news can make scary reading /watching. It used to terrify me in the past to the point of not being able to sleep or eat. Like Snow says alot of it is sensationalized, sells better. First thing is to distance youself from it, stop watching, googling. Its just making you feel awful. Doing that helped me switch off from the fear & try to get on with normal life. My worry used to drive my husband crazy as he was his firm belief that there was no point fearing things you have no influence over & that it was unlikely that something like WW3 would happen anyways! There are alot of worrying things going on in the world but then there always has been, its a sad side of human nature thats thrust in our faces thanks to the media & on a level that past generations didnt have. Maybe speak to your doctor to see if he can give you something to ease your anxiety levels a bit. Take care xx

MyNameIsTerry
01-06-17, 16:50
I think it would be best for you to see your GP as your anxiety is obviously severely disrupting your life.

Something to consider is why everyone else around you in society isn't doing the same. Why aren't they in fear? It's because they aren't driven to skewed negative thinking, fear isn't clouding their objectivity.

Remember we had the Cold War, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. We got through all that fine so why not this?

Like Snowghost says, the media are whipping up the fear to sell copies. The endless speculation is far worse these days with the internet. Detaching from these articles is a very good idea. Many are spun in favour of their political bias.

happydylbob
01-06-17, 22:31
Hello
This is a really good article which backs up what others are saying about the media perhaps it may help you.
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/9186368

MyNameIsTerry
02-06-17, 01:54
Hello
This is a really good article which backs up what others are saying about the media perhaps it may help you.
http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/9186368

Good article. But Huffpost is well known for it's bias too so his last statement will be something many would disagree with. :winks:

I don't think we have any without some form of bias. Many have political connections/leanings. It tends to be important to read across a range of them to make your own mind up these days.

Unplugging is definately a good idea as discussed in the article. I remember seeing another one in a health mag and the guy was happier for disengaging for weeks.

I can agree with it, whilst it doesn't bother me so much these days I think the constant stream of it and getting sucked in can feed certin traits in anxiety, especially OCD ones. Following the politics forums during Brexit & Trump showed me I needed to get away from them and only dip more occasionally.

bcox1776
02-06-17, 05:12
I agree, getting help with your anxiety should be your top priority. And with that said, the world can be a scary place, and unfortunately catastrophes happen to innocent people. However, the world is full of good people and good things happen to people all the time. And if WW3 does break out, while that would be terrible, people will continue with there lives just as they did in the previous two world wars. Hope this helps.

mrknownothing
02-06-17, 05:31
Thanks guys! I have seen my GP and he has referred me onto a psychiatrist.

Do you guys/gals not worry about the going ons in the world? Do you think we have anything to worry about?

MyNameIsTerry
02-06-17, 05:55
That's good to hear. You've done the right thing taking that first step.

Yes, my GAD used to include such things. I struggled with TV news about war, civil unrest, terrorism, even things like an election. But these days I can happily watch or read about any of it because my overall anxiety levels have reduced and I exposed myself to reading the front few pages of a selection of newspapers when I went into supermarkets.

I remember a recovered panic member on here once talk about how it's normal in such circumstances (he often said this about HA worries) to have "concern" rather than "worry". I agree with this and it's how I look at things now. Concern allows some distance so that you care without too much emotional investment in things that are too big to worry about as we can't change or impact on them as said by another member above.

Change & uncertainty are two fundamental issues in anxiety disorders. Our negative thinking also pushes us to seek black & white answers. Big, complex issues like this can never fit this narrow thinking and we have to learn to accept that our leaders are doing what's best to protect us and our way of life.

On that subject, I always think about how all the rich & powerful in the world would be as poor as everyone else if the worst happened. Money, stocks & shares, gold, etc becomes meaningless when food & water becomes the most important resource. Do we think our rich leaders want to lose their livelihoods? :winks:

braindead
02-06-17, 11:41
Is it you think Trump will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and start a war, you got through the BUSH term ok and he was 10 times worse than TRUMP at least other countries like him , War like you are fretting about wont happen,SUPER POWERS use threats of missiles not ground troops.You and your family are has safe has any other :yesyes:

Hollow
02-06-17, 12:00
Don't believe anything you see or read in the media. The purpose of news these days is not to inform you but to deceive, brainwash, and mind control you so that you live in fear. Most of the news is about events that are completely made up.

Cakelady
02-06-17, 14:45
Thanks guys! I have seen my GP and he has referred me onto a psychiatrist.

Do you guys/gals not worry about the going ons in the world? Do you think we have anything to worry about?

So glad you have spoken to your gp & hes refered you.:)
I don't think we have anything to worry about. I really don't. I think there are alot of troubles in the world & alot of suffering which makes very sad. If I watch or read news I try to stick to the more reputable sources ( at least I think there are a few!)
It was when Bush was in power my anxiety spiked massively :scared11:Although I was initially very concerned, I am not finding Trump as worrying(still dont like him, think hes very odd & his hand gestures give me the creeps!Think I spend more time thinking about wtf is going on with his hair not whats going on in his head lol!)xx

MyNameIsTerry
03-06-17, 01:29
So glad you have spoken to your gp & hes refered you.:)
I don't think we have anything to worry about. I really don't. I think there are alot of troubles in the world & alot of suffering which makes very sad. If I watch or read news I try to stick to the more reputable sources ( at least I think there are a few!)
It was when Bush was in power my anxiety spiked massively :scared11:Although I was initially very concerned, I am not finding Trump as worrying(still dont like him, think hes very odd & his hand gestures give me the creeps!Think I spend more time thinking about wtf is going on with his hair not whats going on in his head lol!)xx

Well as long as he isn't grabbing your bits, you'r safe :winks:

I agree about Bush. People have such short memories. The things said about Trump often made me laugh because I remember all the jokes about Bush mistakenly invading the wrong countries because he didn't know where they were!

As for Trump's hair, I think Newzoids got it right...there a ginger Tom in there! :D

braindead
03-06-17, 09:44

I agree about Bush. People have such short memories. The things said about Trump often made me laugh because I remember all the jokes about Bush mistakenly invading the wrong countries because he didn't know where they were!

As for Trump's hair, I think Newzoids got it right...there a ginger Tom in there! :D

TRUMP has real hair it like Boris Johnsons. Its full of static they can not do a think with it if the try trump just lacquers it ,

Cakelady
03-06-17, 10:46

Terry don't know whether to be offended or laugh!:roflmao:
We actually have a book of "Bushisms" some of the stupid things he came out with during his presidency ( found it for 50p in a charity shop a few years back & funny reading, but scary thinking he was once in charge of the red button!)

FrankT
18-06-17, 23:18
Guys? I'm scared of WW3 too. I was scared of it all through last year's election, and now it seems more likely than ever. However, what you guys have said have helped me, so, thanks. But I more fear the likelihood of a civil war, in both America and Britain. I fear what horrors would come if the Donald resigned and his Veep took his place, or if May resigned and Boris took her place, that would surely lead to war! I get terrified just thinking about it! They'll... they'll make death camps for LGBT people like that one in Russia! (I don't know about Boris, but I'm sure Pence would like to do it.) It's like an Orwellian nightmare, and I have to be reminded of it every day. I can't believe we're going backwards as a society... it terrifies me.

snowghost57
19-06-17, 01:18
Nice article Happy. I have a room mate that loves the news, he watches first thing in the morning, watches evening news and then the world news. When he is not here? I don't watch it at all. I think it can make you anxious and depressed. Just turn it off.

eatyourgreens
19-06-17, 04:45
Wow! I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that there are others who have this fear.

I'm similar to you Frank, in that mine all started around the election last year. I blame no one in particular. It's just for whatever reasons it opened my eyes to what's happening in the world around us. Funny thing is apparently Hillary is more of a warmonger then Trump. So maybe we are lucky that Mr Trump got in?...

I honestly have no idea how I am going to over come this. I have always struggled with uncertainties, and there really is no way of knowing if war will ever break out. So I'm right royally stuck.

I'm at the stage where I am starting to prepare. For me that means learning to live off the land.

MyNameIsTerry
19-06-17, 04:55
Guys? I'm scared of WW3 too. I was scared of it all through last year's election, and now it seems more likely than ever. However, what you guys have said have helped me, so, thanks. But I more fear the likelihood of a civil war, in both America and Britain. I fear what horrors would come if the Donald resigned and his Veep took his place, or if May resigned and Boris took her place, that would surely lead to war! I get terrified just thinking about it! They'll... they'll make death camps for LGBT people like that one in Russia! (I don't know about Boris, but I'm sure Pence would like to do it.) It's like an Orwellian nightmare, and I have to be reminded of it every day. I can't believe we're going backwards as a society... it terrifies me.

Civil war would mean most of us giving up our little luxuries. And the rich would need protection straight away. Do you think most of the population are willing to give up Eastenders & Corrie? :winks:

It's just the media and small groups on the extremities. 100k march on Westminster, who cares they are a drop in the ocean compared to the population.

War wouldn't break out over any party leadership challenge. They happen via legal procedure rather than in countries where they pull military coups. Besides, who would the military be fighting? A few hundred MP's and party members? The middle classes threatening people with solicitors? Or on the Labour side, a load of slogan waiving protesters?

We have to remember that whilst a minority are having a whinge about losing a vote outside Westminster and political parties are sharpening their knives for use on their leaders, the vast majority go to work, still go out enjoying themselves and as always, bills have to be paid. These people dwarf the vocal protesters and the media.

FrankT
19-06-17, 07:18
All the same, I'm sure a leadership change now would be disastrous. I can't seem to shake that thought.