PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions!

hannahc128
02-06-17, 00:27
A little background- I'm a 26 year old female who woke up one morning in December 2015 with crippling health anxiety. I had never really been anxious before but I woke up convinced that a bruise on my breast was cancer since it had been there for 6 months. In my defense it was huge and I wasn't positive how I got it, but it was checked and all was fine, but it sent me into a spiral.

I see an endocrinologist for type two diabetes, which ironically doesn't scare me in the least, and she's huge on thyroid testing. Despite all my thyroid tests including antibodies always being normal, she keeps trying to put me on thyroid medication and that scares me considering there's no family history and no tests show a problem. So I started to see a new endo last month after my yearly thyroid ultrasound had some scary wording and she said this is basically a case of doctors overtesting and if the previous endo didn't keep pushing thyroid tests that I would be fine.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm absolutely terrified of my thyroid antibody tests she's sending me for in two weeks (I have had 3 previous negative tests). I'm so scared of autoimmune diseases, mostly lupus, and I feel like if the thyroid antibody tests come up positive that I'll be 100% sure I have lupus.

This is exaggerated by the fact that I'm having a lot of weird feelings in my arms. At first it was just the left and it started when I got anxious every day and lasted until I woke up the next morning, so I know it's just anxiety. Then one day I thought "thank god it's not both arms or I'd be convinced it's lupus" and a few days later my right arms started aching. It's like a dull ache all the time, but of course isn't really there when I'm not anxious. It's not really joint pain, it's more light muscle pain but not really pain. It's weird. This past weekend I was visiting family and I was pretty much fine because I wasn't thinking about it. Now that I'm home, it's worse than ever. My doctor had told me in the past that this is anxiety but I just can't get over it. My wrist muscles seem to bother me too, and I saw an orthopedic doctor who did an X-ray on one wrist and said it's overuse tendinitis from swimming.

So basically my question is, has anyone had this arm problem with anxiety? Is it a tension thing? I try to not be tense but I probably am. And I know thyroid disease isn't a huge deal, but is it something that I should be fearing as much as I am? I'm pretty good at not googling but I know too much already!

bcox1776
02-06-17, 04:36
If you are concerned about lupus ask your doctor for an ANA blood panel. It tests for multiple autoimmune diseases, especially lupus. A positive test result will point to some autoimmune issue. However, some completely health people will have a positive test result. Whatever the outcome of the test (probably negative) I think this will put you on the right track. As for the muscle thing, anxiety does have tendency to produce all sorts of tension. Best of luck, hope all is well.