PDA

View Full Version : Left ventricular hypertrophy

nhelen79
02-06-17, 01:12
Hi all
I'm having real health scare now. My ECG came back with this finding of LEFT VENTRICULAR HYPERTROPHY. My doctor is sending me for more tests. I don't dare to google because of the anxiety. From what I talk to her, she said I should focus on regular excercise, low sodium diet and try to keep my anxiety In check before she get the results from more testings. I'm 37 and skinny. Borderline diabetic (inherited from both parents). My symptoms were heart palpitations and in general feeling tired (happens everytime when my anxiety is flaring)

Has anyone dealed with this LEFT VENTRICULAR HYPERTROPHY disease and can I live with it ? Oh god I hope I do thave to go through heart surgery or something :(

Thanks

S.B
02-06-17, 12:27
Hi nhelen79,

I have had several ECGs, all of which report "LVH" and all of which have ultimately been classified as "my normal".

LVH is actually quite common to see on ECGs of tall, slim people, so your "skinny" statement fits that bill perfectly. Same for me.

Unfortunately, ECGs can flag things as "false positives", i.e. they identify a problem, when there really isn't one. In this case, the only way to discount LVH, which describes a thickening of the Left Ventricular Heart Muscle, is through an ECHO scan, which is essentially an ultrasound of your heart.

I suspect your GP will order that test, which will provide the ultimate diagnosis of whether or not LVH is present.

I think LVH is often as a result of High Blood Pressure, where the heart muscle has to work harder against the pressure of the blood. As a result of this, just like when we exert our other muscles, it can get bigger and stronger.

Slim people often get LVH on an ECG because, well, there is less fat to absorb the electrical signals comng from the heart and being received by the electrodes so we end up with big spikes on the ECG, which can indicate LVH, but can also not.

Let us know how the further testing goes. I assume an ECHO will be the next port of call.

S.B

nhelen79
02-06-17, 16:38
Thanks S.B. It's reassuring to see LVH is more common than I thought. Yes that is the heart ultrasound test she asked me to do after ECG. I'm not sure but since I talked to her, I started paying attention and do feel more tired. Now I don't know whether it's the same old anxiety feeling or it's actually my heart working too hard.
I've gone back to the gym for walk yesterday and hopefully restart my routine again.

S.B
02-06-17, 19:20
Yeh, best to keep up with your exercise routine for now as suggested by the GP and await the ECHO test which will provide conclusive proof one way or the other.

Let us know how it goes.

S.B

nosrednanagem
07-06-17, 12:18
Hi! I just got diagnosed with mild left ventricular hypertrophy about three weeks ago. I went and saw a cardiologist to have him further explain what it was. He said that I need to get my anxiety under control. My anxiety causes high blood pressure which cause the LVH. I was terrified when I first found out. I seriously thought I was going to drop dead at the age of 28. UGH.

nhelen79
07-06-17, 18:09
Hi! I just got diagnosed with mild left ventricular hypertrophy about three weeks ago. I went and saw a cardiologist to have him further explain what it was. He said that I need to get my anxiety under control. My anxiety causes high blood pressure which cause the LVH. I was terrified when I first found out. I seriously thought I was going to drop dead at the age of 28. UGH.

thanks nosrednanagem. My heart ultrasound is next Thursday. Yes, I notice that whenever anxiety flares up, i have heart issue, stomach issue and even mouth ulcer issues. I think i better work on controlling the anxiety.

fiveaight
16-06-17, 03:35
how did it go?

nhelen79
21-06-17, 00:47
hi All,
i got my result back from the doctor today. Everything is normal.
So the heart fluttering issue that i had in episodes since last year till now are probably due to anxiety. Because of multiple episodes, i had 3 EKG, 24-hour heart holter and then this year the ultrasound.

Lately I've been going back to the gym for walks. I don't have the fluttering anymore but my heart rate is always at the normal high rate. For now, the doctor said just monitor since the ultrasound is normal.

Anxiety is a beast.

fiveaight
21-06-17, 02:55
awesome!!!