PDA

View Full Version : Red patch on forehead for three weeks

christy67
02-06-17, 16:02
It's been awhile since I've been here and it always helps to have everyone's input. About two weeks ago I developed a red mark on my forehead the size of a pencil eraser. It seems to have a white scaling over it and it getting worst. Of course I googled and it looks exactly like skin cancer. The kind that is treatable but requires surgery and scars on your face. I'm completely terrified and can't sleep. I am high risk pales and does myself as youth.

Coukd it be something else? Please advise😳😳😳

Fishmanpa
02-06-17, 16:08
Coukd it be something else? Please advise������

Of course it could and it's highly probable it's something benign and not sinister. A medical professional would be the only one to make that call.

Positive thoughts

Phuzella
02-06-17, 16:09
Yeah best to get a doctor to have a look.

NervUs
02-06-17, 19:29
I would just go see your dermatologist.

I had one of those pop up on my ear recently, and it was actinic keratosis- a "precancer" or more aptly something that is related to sun damage and has a small chance of turning into skin cancer eventually.

They are easily removed.

Even if your turns out to actually be skin cancer, you have caught it extremely early. I was also recently diagnosed with skin cancer last month (basal cell) and, really, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Don't worry- just get it dealt with!

christy67
02-06-17, 21:07
Im getting a referral for a derm on Monday. Thanks so much For your replies!

christy67
06-06-17, 01:30
Ok so I went to doctor and got a referral to dermatologist.
She was poker faced so I have idea what her hypothesisis is . She did say she saw some veins in the spot which makes me think it is basil cell. Also when I googled it came up in different forms so I became sick realizing I've had a hard flesh colored bump by ear for years that may also fit criteria. She wants that checked out too.

People say that these things are easy to remove but many sites say surgery is required and there is scars. Many dems sights recommend surgery so it won't reoccur and skin graphs from other part of the body. I'm jumping ahead of myself but I am thinking of the worst having my face cut up with with scars.

Any reassurance would be helpful! I need you guys!

Fishmanpa
06-06-17, 01:56
Whoa! Slow down Speed Racer! You've diagnosed yourself and already are thinking about scars! Waiting sucks. I know that personally. It's good that you're getting checked out. The saying among warriors is "It's not cancer until they say it is".

Positive thoughts

NervUs
06-06-17, 03:07
Even if you have basal cell, you JUST found this forehead one so the surgery would be shallow. Sometimes, you can even use a cream.

The ear thing- I know how hard it is not to let your mind race. Recently, I found a basal cell on my shoulder and went bonkers worrying about things on my face so I totally, totally get it. I couldn't stop myself from imagining needing a totally disfiguring surgery leaving a gaping hole.

Even if it is worst case scenario and is skin cancer, you will get through it. The vast vast majority of cases are NOT extreme, even when the bump has been there for years. My sister has had basal cell skin cancers removed from her face, and you can't even tell. The surgeons are very good with this, and scars also fade with time.

I'm not sure what the answer is or how to settle you down. Googling is probably NOT a great idea, but I found myself doing it in spades after my diagnosis and I found strength in people's stories. I think a lot of times, people with health anxiety have a lot of empathy and have an easy time imagining being in other people's shoes. I guess it made me see I would find a way to cope (even if it meant hiding out for awhile, lol) just like all these other people have had to do.

There is by no means a guarantee that you have BCC, but you will have no choice but to sit with uncertainty for awhile, never a hypochondriac's strong suit. Hopefully, you are going to get your biopsies done soon, so as to just get this over and done with.

Just come back and talk it out when you need to. If it's possible avoid looking at the spots, then avoid them. And let us know what kind of talk here helps you feel better. Some people say imaging the fear helps (exposure), for others it might be mindfulness, trying to substitute thoughts or behaviors, etc. Hugs, I know this anxiety all too well.

christy67
06-06-17, 15:38
Nervus thank you so much for your lengthy and thoughtful reply. And everyone else too. I'm not sure what will make me feel better until I get in there and get some answers.

Im just in wondering, Nervus if you don't mind me asking, how was the treatment for Bcc for you and was it a big deal?

I've been nervous about other parts of my body but never my face for some reason as I stopped the excessive tanning in my 20's and wear sun screen faithfully on my face. If this is something I don't feel like I will ever be able to relax again waiting for something to pop up. There seems to be no prevention??? Just staying out of sun which I do. Ugh

NervUs
06-06-17, 21:35
I don't know about prevention, Christy.

All I know is that I am beyond freaked about all of it right now. I keep getting things popping up on my skin, maybe exacerbated by perimenopause and aging. I need to get a grip but don't know how!!!

THe treatment for my BCC was not a big deal. It was on my shoulder. The PA at the derm is the one who diagnosed and she recommended getting it "dissected" then cauterized. THat made me uncomfortable as I wanted to know that the margins were clear, so I said that I wanted a wide excision. THat's what happened. The surgeon cut out some margin of skin (I didn't ask how much but read that 4 mm is usually what they take for a BCC so I'm assuming it was something like that). It was tested and came back clear at the margins of skin tissue, so I really hope this is the end of it. If it had come back not free of cancer, I would have panicked, lol, and then had to go back for another excision.

Something on the face would be Mohs Surgery, which is where the surgeon takes a little bit at a time and checks right away to make sure the tissue is cancer free. That method takes as little tissue as possible but is where you can end up needing some cosmetic surgery to repair the damage.

I will have a scar, but I don't really care so much about my shoulder.